- Text Size +

One day recently, the members of the party planning committee were seated around the big table in the conference room, working out the details for Stanley’s upcoming surprise birthday party.  Pam had an idea which she illustrated for the other members on a sketch pad.  There was to be a big sign with a crossword on it spelling out “Happy Birthday,” with intersecting words.  This went over well with everyone and they all agreed it was just the sort of simple but stylish approach they needed; it broke their creative logjam.  Amid smiles and supportive comments, more ideas spilled out from each of them.

Everyone was getting along well, and Phyllis was greatly enjoying the consensus decision making. It was such a nice change from the way things usually went that, without thinking, she blurted out a suggestion. 

“Why don’t we vote for a new leader of the Party Planning Committee each month?” she asked with a cheery voice.

“What?” said Angela, flatly.

“Then we could all have a turn,” Phyllis explained. “It would be fun and more like working together as a group.  Like we are now.”

The ensuing silence was so complete that a few crumbs spilling off of a cupcake in front of Angela seemed almost audible.  Phyllis looked around from face to face. “I just thought, since we were all getting along so well, it might make for a nice...” She trailed off at the end.

Angela narrowed her eyes and began clicking the end of her pen with her thumb. “Very well,” she said. “Who else here would like to vote?”

Pam averted her gaze; she suddenly found a loose thread on her sweater worth staring at. Oscar sighed and leaned back, closing his eyes and waiting for this to be over.  Meredith started to speak and then just closed her mouth and stayed silent.

“Okay,” said Angela, turning her focus completely onto Phyllis. “It’s just you and me. How do you vote?”

Phyllis blinked a couple of times.  “I, um…I abstain.”

“Fine.” Angela let the moment sink in so that it wouldn't happen again. She then turned to the others.  “Now that we’ve settled that, let's get back to work.  Does anyone have any ideas for party hats?”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans