- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I decided to put another chapter up tonight, especially since this chapter kind of wraps up the last one. So enjoy.
September 12, 2005

Jim was happy about his first week. He felt he was actually capable of having his students like him, and he felt like he was getting through to them and teaching them that English was a real-life topic that could enrich their lives.

Dwight had been furious, obviously, and hilarious when he accused Jim of resetting his speed dial. And unscrewing the wheels to his desk chair. And hiding his bobblehead in a filing cabinet. But Jim assured him that obviously he couldn’t have done it since Dwight triple locked his door every time he stepped out. Jim next convinced Dwight that it must have been some sort of remote electronic attack on his phone and that his bobblehead could possibly be alive, and that Dwight should suspect everyone. Which of course led to Dwight standing just outside the principal’s office scowling at the entire school for two days.

Dwight actually did write up a report recommending Jim’s termination for Michael and arranged a meeting for the three of them before school on Wednesday. But two minutes into the meeting, Michael told Dwight to stop annoying him and his “friend Jim,” and laughed hysterically at Dwight when Dwight read out loud his list of accusations. When Michael finished laughing, he leaned back in his chair and said, “Jim, you and I, you know, we’re so alike.”

“Absolutely,” Jim said, struggling not to laugh out loud. He and Michael were nothing alike. Jim was just trying to figure out how Michael had managed to keep his job. Like, the first day of school, when Michael gave the afternoon announcements, Jim could not believe the things he said over the loudspeaker.

“Hello, students, my children, welcome back to high school. I’m sure you all spent your summer partying it up like me and are dreading being back here. Like me. But thanks for coming back. That’s what she said. Um…not…so…”

It continued on in much the same fashion, and finished with Michael attempting to quote Confucius. Except he did it in an offensive Asian accent, and said, “Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.”

Toby of course came to Michael and told him that his announcements were inappropriate, but Michael said, “You know what was inappropriate, Toby? You. As a husband. Since your wife divorced you. And I can see why.” That was, well, irrelevant was probably the nicest word to describe it.

The week was going pretty well, actually, until Friday when after the day was over Dwight approached Jim and lectured him on his inappropriate workplace attire when Jim was about to leave. “What are you talking about, Dwight?”

“Jim, as a teacher you have to dress for respect.”

Jim first of all had to restrain himself to keep from busting out laughing at Dwight for saying that, considering that Dwight was wearing a ridiculous looking mustard colored shirt and tie. “That is not how the saying goes, Dwight.”

“Well, it should be. Jim, when you show up to this school and stand up in front of your class, you are representing this school and all of its alumni.”

“Well, I’m pretty much just representing me. And I am an alumnus, by the way. And my clothes are fine.” Jim had been wearing khakis and a button up dress shirt to work every day, and he wore brown dress shoes. He certainly saw nothing wrong with his attire.

“Jim, bottom line, those rolled up sleeves have got to go.”

Ah, that’s what he’s mad about, Jim thought to himself. “Well, I wouldn’t normally have to roll them up, Dwight, but I think there may be something wrong with the central heating and cooling system. It’s like an oven in my room.”

“I see,” Dwight said. “I will personally inspect the furnace room to check for malfunctioning equipment. Thank you for bringing the problem to my attention. You did the right thing. In the meantime, please return your sleeves to the correct length.”

“Sure thing, buddy, as soon as I get a chance. Talk to you later.”

Why couldn’t Dwight just leave him alone? When he did things like that, Jim just had to do things like break in to his office, take his coffee mug (which had a picture of him and Michael on it on one side and the logo for Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff’s Deputies on the other- creepy) to the cafeteria, and put it in jello. And then put it back in his office for him to find the following Monday (although Dwight actually found it Saturday morning, since he for some reason worked on both Saturday and Sunday). And it also didn’t bother Jim at all when the maintenance crew yelled at Dwight for tampering with their equipment. Unfortunately, all of this delayed the beginning of his weekend. But Pam was captivated by the whole thing and was by his side throughout the process. Which made it actually not that bad at all. Actually, it kind of made it totally worth sticking around on a Friday afternoon. She had told him about Dwight’s reaction to the speed dial prank, which was basically to yell at the people on the other end that it was in fact, they, who had the wrong number. However that worked.

Jim didn’t really know what to do about Pam. Obviously, she was awesome, but she was also very unavailable and her boyfriend (who was huge) was his co-worker. So, obviously, nothing could happen. He was trying to stick to his plan, which was to become just an acquaintance to her, just a couple of co-workers who said good morning to each other and spoke politely if they saw each other outside of work. But he just felt drawn to her. Like a moth to a flame, he thought. She was just so different from every girl he had ever met before. So funny, and warm, and just…nice. Except to Dwight. Which was actually another plus. But she was even kind of nice to him, sometimes. Was there really another person on the planet who was so full of kindness that she could deal with the antics of not only Michael, but also his lackey, Dwight? Not to mention, Jim thought, the fact that she made him weak in the knees when he looked at her. Again, Jim forced those thoughts out of his mind, telling himself to get over this crush he had. But this one part of his brain kept telling him that this might be more than that.

“So…” Pam interrupted his thoughts as they walked back into Dwight’s office with his coffee mug. “You coming to the football game tonight?”

“Um, yeah, probably. First one and all. Home opener and all. Like Michael said on the announcements this afternoon, ‘gotta whip up on those snobby bastards.’ I can’t wait to see what Michael actually does at the game, considering this morning.”

Pam laughed at him and said, “Oh, my god. I know! I can’t believe he said that, and that he then followed it up with those announcements after questioning Toby’s loyalty to us by pointing out he went to Bishop O’Hara? The best!”

Jim smiled thinking about what Michael had said this morning to the team’s quarterback.

“So,” Michael said while putting his arm around the QB’s shoulders,” we gonna win tonight, because that is your number one priority at this school.”

The QB was a little freaked, but managed to answer, “Um, I hope so, Mr. Scott. They’re pretty good, so it will be hard, but in the end I think we’ll come out on top.”

Michael snorted and yelled, “That’s what she said!"


“Yeah,” Jim grinned, “Just another day at West Scranton. How bout you, you going tonight?”

“Yeah. I go to all the games.”

“Right, because of, um…”

“Yeah, Roy wants me there for support, so...”

“Yeah, Roy, sure. So are we going to have a good team this year?”

“Roy thinks so. I don’t know, he’s been talking about it a lot, but it’s kind of hard for me to follow, ya know?”

“Sure, I can imagine.” Jim really did not want to hear about Roy right now. “Well, I’m going to take off, I think.”

“Oh. Yeah,” Pam said, “maybe I’ll see you at the game?”

“Yeah, maybe,” Jim answered, “Alright… bye, Pam. If I don’t see you, have a good weekend.”

“You, too. Bye, Jim.”

They gave each other a little wave as Jim walked away.
Chapter End Notes:
I know that not a whole lot actually happens here, but like I said at the beginning, this chapter is kind of wrapping up some loose ends from Jim's first week. And I’m really sorry if anyone by chance went to Bishop O’Hara and is offended. I know nothing about the school, and just assume that the public school calls the private school a bunch of snobs (Pisslop who cares a, right?).

Next: The First Football Game

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans