- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
First- Thanks for all of the reviews I got for the story. A couple requested the epilogue, so here it is. Sorry it took so long to get done- I hope you readers remember my little story.

Like I said last chapter, this idea just hit me all of a sudden and I decided to go with it since it wouldn’t get out of my head. I’m sort of torn because I feel like the story could stand without this chapter, but I also want to include it. So I don’t know, really, but I wrote it so I posted it. If you don’t like it, maybe pretend it doesn’t exist?
May 11, 2045

Jim was coming closer to what was honestly at this moment the last place he wanted to go. He turned to his wife who was riding in the seat next to him and said, “You know, one of the benefits of retirement is that I will get to spend less time at the school. And I’ve been working as hard as I can to get into that non-school mode, and right now…this is just wrecking all of that hard work. It’s crippling my plan.”

Jim had gotten to the point in his life that he was ready to retire and ride off into the sunset. It wasn’t an easy decision, because he truly loved his career, but at this point in his life, he was ready to move on. And his family agreed.

His wife of 38 years smiled over at him and replied, “I’m really sorry about that, but I really wanted to show everyone something at the school and what with the retirement and all, this might be one of my last chances to do it.”

Jim sighed and answered back, “Fine. But don’t expect me to be happy about it.”

“Suck it up, Halpert. It shouldn’t take too long. We’re almost there.”

Soon enough, Jim pulled into the familiar parking lot of Carroll High School. He got out of his car and walked over to the passenger side to help his wife out of the car. After all these years, he still felt the need to treat her like the goddess she was. She smiled and took his hand as she got out of the car thanking him. Jim had spent the earlier part of the evening at dinner with his family. It was sort of a pre-retirement celebration dinner and Jim had a blast. His favorite times were the ones he got to spend with his family, especially since they weren’t all together as often as they used to be.

As the couple walked away from their car, they were greeted by the rest of the family. “So,” Jim said, “what’s this thing you want to show everyone here?”

“It’s a surprise,” was the only answer he got back.

And boy was it a surprise. As Jim walked into the school’s cafeteria, he was greeted by a huge crowd that all yelled, “Surprise!” when he and his family entered the room. At the front of the room was a sign that said, “Congratulations!” Inside the room, Jim recognized so many familiar faces: both current and former colleagues, former students, the current principal, his assistant coaches, former players of his, a couple of old friends including his college roommate, Mark, and other old familiar faces. “What is all this?” Jim finally managed to ask.

“This is a pre-retirement party for you, Jim. It was all Mr. Henderson’s idea.” Mr. Henderson was the current principal at Carroll and the 4th principal since Jim had been there.

Mr. Henderson stepped forward and shook Jim’s hand. “Jim, we just wanted to do a little something to thank you for all the years you put in here. We’re going to miss you, but we wanted to thank you in our own little way.”

Jim really was in shock from seeing all these people here for him. “Wow, I really don’t know what to say except thanks, I guess. It really means a lot.”

“Well, you should thank your better half. She was really the one that got everyone here.”

“Wow,” was really all Jim could muster, as he was just so overwhelmed that all of these people were here for him.

“Everyone?” Mr. Henderson shouted, “Let’s go ahead and sit down so we can get started.” Everyone took a seat in one of the cafeteria chairs that were organized in rows facing the rear wall of the room, the one that had the large “Congratulations” sign on it, where there was also a podium and microphone set up.

Mr. Henderson got behind the mic when everyone was seated and began, “I would like to thank everyone for coming. I’m sure that everyone knows why we’re here- to show our appreciation for all that Jim Halpert has done for this school and for all of us. I met Jim about 6 years ago when I took over as principal, and I consider myself lucky to now call him a friend. He’s a special person and has been a truly exceptional teacher and coach at this school. His accomplishments are incredible- he’s been teacher of the year here 7 times in his now 39 years at the school. He’s been the school’s athletic director for the last 12 years now, and our program is the best it’s ever been in performance on the field, in the classroom, and in fundraising efforts. He’s been our head basketball coach for all of his 39 years here, and has brought the school four state titles. Everything Jim has touched has turned to gold. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for his dedication and the way he has inspired us to be our very best. Jim, on behalf of everyone here, thank you.” The crowd applauded the speech and Jim, and then Mr. Henderson concluded his speech, “Our next speaker is someone who has also been very special to this school and has special insight into Jim’s life. It gives me great pleasure to introduce one of our school’s former art teachers, Pam Halpert.”

Jim looked at Pam in surprise. She had no doubt grown in confidence since he first met her all those years ago, but public speaking still wasn’t really her thing. Even as a teacher, she really preferred one on one interaction with her students to group lectures. But Pam just squeezed his hand, the one she had been holding, before smiling at him and getting up to walk to the podium. Pam continued to amaze him, even now.

“Hi, everyone, I’m Pam Halpert, Jim’s wife, and my husband and I want to thank all of you for coming. When trying to figure out what I was going to say at my husband’s retirement party, I remembered back to when I met Jim in Scranton over 30 years ago. It was at West Scranton High School. I was the secretary there and Jim was the new English teacher. I remember my boss, the principal, talking about the new English teacher he hired and how hilarious he was.” There were some laughs in the crowd at that. “I remember having my doubts about that, but it turns out that my boss was right. It’s funny because Jim was different back then, I would say, but at the same time so much the same. He brought laughter into everyone’s day and made my days especially enjoyable where before they were often sort of dull. And he always managed to make everyone feel better about themselves, especially me. I remember that Jim was just very different than other people I had met and that he seemed to have a kindness about him that drew me to him. We soon became friends and when I came to my senses, we became more than that. Jim would always persuade me to pursue my own passions, specifically my art. It was only a year that he was in Scranton before coming here, and he inspired me to come here with him to take a chance on myself. I guess I didn’t always believe in myself, but it seemed like Jim believed in me enough for both of us.” Pam took a second to pause. “And then even when we got here, sometimes I wanted to quit, but Jim just wouldn’t let me.”

Jim smiled and remembered back.

It was warm for a Saturday morning, and Jim finally let himself wake up after sleeping restlessly due to his excitement. He realized that he probably shouldn’t be the most excited person in the house, but he just couldn’t help himself. He had wanted this day to come for years now, and it was finally here: Pam’s graduation from art school. He was just so proud of her. Finally, all of the hard work and sweat and tears she put into her artwork would be rewarded. Yesterday, Jim had wanted to run up and down the streets telling everyone his wife would be graduating tomorrow, but Pam had stopped him as he reached their front door, pulling him in by the arm and laughing at him before pulling him down to her to kiss him. Today was finally the day.

When he saw her seated amongst her classmates in their caps and gowns and then later on the stage receiving her diploma, he began to tear up. He had taken probably 100 pictures of her, even though she was only looking in his direction in half of them. He just couldn’t help himself. It was probably the happiest day of his life outside of the day she said, “I do” or his last day at West Scranton High School when she decided to take a chance on something. Take a chance on him.


“In fact,” Pam continued, “it was Jim that got me into teaching.” Jim smiled again, remembering that day as well.

“Pam, I really think you ought to consider this. Maybe give it a shot.”

“Maybe. I’m just not sure. I mean, I’ve never…I’m not sure teaching is for me, really. I mean, you’re great at it, Jim. You really are. And I know that I could teach; I mean I know enough having been through school, but…I just don’t think I’m cut out for it.”

“Pam…”

“And I really appreciate your support, Jim. Really, I do. I just don’t think it’s right for me.”

“Pam?”

“Yeah?” Pam answered back, sighing and looking at the floor.

“Look at me, Pam,” Jim said, waiting for her to look at him. “I love you more than anything. And it is my job to support and encourage you. But I would not tell you that you would be great at this unless I meant it. Pam, you just have more to offer than you realize. You would be perfect for this job. Won’t you please think about it?”

Pam nodded her head, knowing that if Jim believed in her, she could do anything.


“I think what makes Jim such a great teacher is his supportive nature. He has always been willing to go the extra mile for others, even if it meant sacrificing his own desires.”

“Do you want this job, Jim?”

“I honestly don’t know. I mean…it’s not something I’ve really considered.” Pam nodded, listening to all Jim had to say, as he had always done with her. “I mean…yeah, it’s a great opportunity, but…it’s one of those things that you think about when you’re younger and think ‘wouldn’t that be cool’ but then just write off as an impossibility. I just…I don’t know if I can leave everything behind.”

11 years into Jim’s coaching career, he had already won 3 state championships and that had gotten the attention of the head coach at his alma mater, Penn State, who had spoken with Jim and wanted to bring him in to be one of his assistants to reenergize the program and help recruit Philadelphia. “I mean, I’d have to give up teaching. Which I love.”

“Yeah, you do,” Pam answered.

“Plus, being a college coach is kind of a difficult life. They move around. Sometimes a lot.”

“Yeah, probably.”

“ And… there aren’t really many art jobs in State College, Pam.”

“Jim…that’s something you need to leave out of the equation.”

Jim looked at his wife with a tender look on his face, “Pam, I will never leave you out of the equation. Of all the things I would consider, you are what’s most important. You and the girls.”


In the end, Jim didn’t take the job. He told Pam he made the decision for himself, but she knew he didn’t want to uproot their life for an uncertain future. Never once did Jim regret his decision.

“Jim has made my life so much better because he has been part of it. I think that’s why we are all here tonight. Jim, I love you. You have made me so happy and brought so much joy to my life. You blessed me with a family and I can’t wait to have you home. Congratulations.” Again, there was applause and Pam stepped away from the podium and walked back to her seat next to Jim. When she got there, Jim wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her and then pulled her back into his embrace, whispering into her ear, “Thank you, Pam. I love you.” She whispered back, “I love you, too,” before both sat down.

Mr. Henderson stepped back up to the podium and said, “Pam, that was great. Now we were hoping we could get you to say a few words, Jim.”

“Me?” Jim asked.

“If you want.”

“Sure, yeah,” Jim said, walking up to the podium himself. “Okay. Thanks for coming, everyone. You’ll have to forgive me; I didn’t really have anything planned to say, and I’m only a teacher, so I’m not used to public speaking. At least not in front of adults.” Jim said, gaining a few laughs. “Really, I do want to thank everyone for coming. I see some familiar faces out there, some that I haven’t seen in quite a while. Everyone, my first boss, Michael, who hired me at West Scranton High School is here.” Michael also now lived in Philadelphia, having moved there when he married Jan Levinson, who took a job on a school board there. The two of them had a son, Daniel. “Also here is Dwight Schrute, who is now the Principal at West Scranton. Although when I was there, he was only Assistant to the Principal.” Jim smiled at Dwight, who was old and gray, who muttered, “Assistant Principal,” to himself, under his breath. “Man, Dwight. What can I say besides, I’ve missed you.”

Jim had actually not missed Dwight all that much. Jim had continued his pattern of pranking Dwight, only now it was from afar and he did not get to see Dwight’s reactions. He had asked Kevin if anything had happened with Dwight a couple of times, and Jim had thus heard that when Jim sent an anonymous message to the school that there were terrorists attempting to infiltrate a traitor in the History department, Dwight had attempted to get Andy Bernard fired. Jim had laughed at that.

“Next to Dwight everyone is his wife, Angela- she was my other first boss, the head of the English department at West Scranton. She really taught me a lot about teaching that first year, about how important preparation is because we really are preparing young people to go out into the world and preparation helps us maximize our time with them. It helps us be as efficient as we possibly can in the few hours a week we are privileged to spend with our students. So Angela, thank you for teaching me those lessons. Though I may not have been open to learning them at the time, I did keep them with me, and I am indebted to you for all you taught me that year.” Jim couldn’t be sure, but he thought he saw Angela blushing and hiding behind Dwight.

Jim paused for a moment, taking a second to gather his thoughts. “Next, I really want to thank my students. I hope I was able to teach them some things, because I guarantee that they taught me more. I wouldn’t trade the groups of kids I had for anything. I cherish a lot of memories they gave me, and I don’t think I could ever repay them.” A flood of memories came rushing into Jim’s mind.

It was a sweet victory- the biggest win of his career. State champions! It was the first time Jim had won, well, anything, really. No way would he have predicted it having started 2-6 with 3 sophomores and a freshman in the starting lineup. But his team had persevered and now they were hanging a championship banner in the gym.

Jim had felt honored to be voted the senior class’ favorite teacher, but he was even more proud of the good-bye gift they gave him- a prank. Jim had a Siamese fighting fish that he kept in a bowl on a shelf in his classroom. Some very clever students had taken the inside pane of his classroom door off and somehow reattached it- with his fish and a bunch of water now between the two panes of glass, with a post it on the glass that said, “From the class of 2010.”


Jim smiled at the memories. “Finally, I want to thank my family. That’s the Halpert clan over there. That’s my daughter, Samantha, and my son-in-law, Doug. Sam’s also a teacher, an elementary school teacher. Also here is my second daughter, Chloe, who is a lawyer here in town. And that guy standing next to them is my son, Will. He played for me and is now a sports reporter in D.C. Which is a shame because it has turned him into a Wizards fan- son, the Sixers will always be the best and everyone here knows it. But you guys should still buy his paper. Seriously. Otherwise, he’ll end up moving back home.” Some members of the audience laughed. “Just kidding, son. You know you’re always welcome at home. Seriously everyone, he’s a great writer, everyone, and being an English teacher, I should know. And those two future basketball stars with Samantha are James and Matt, my two year old grandsons. I really can’t wait to see them grow up. And Chloe is actually carrying my third grandchild and is due in a couple of months. So, the clan obviously keeps getting bigger.” Jim smiled and said, “Man, I’ve been outnumbered for a long time.” Again, the crowd laughed at Jim’s comments. “And finally…Pam. My Pam. We’ve had a good run, I’d say. It wasn’t always easy, but it’s been great.” Jim paused to smile at Pam. “You know, I remember when I met you, too, and I always think about that first year I knew you and how I had never met a greater friend. Pam, I still haven’t. Thank you so much for making my life so wonderful and full of joy. You really are amazing. More amazing than you know, I think. I love you.” Jim paused to gaze out at his wife, who had gotten misty eyed. It still amazed him that even after all this time; he was still head over heels in love with her. Even after so many days together, he still got butterflies around her, and he wouldn’t have it any other way. Time to wrap it up, Jim thought. “Everyone, thanks for coming, and thank you very much for putting all of this together for me. I will surely miss this, but I think I’m ready to lay back and watch my grandkids grow up. Thanks again.” The crowd stood and applauded Jim as he went to hug his family.

Later that evening, Jim was standing at the door and thanking everyone as they walked out in a procession. He had gotten to speak with countless former students, and got to see many of his former colleagues again. When there were only about a dozen people left in the room, Jim was approached by Dwight and Angela. Jim overheard Dwight call Angela “Monkey” and was thoroughly creeped out. When Dwight got to the front of the line, he shook Jim’s hand and said, “Jim, Angela told me I should congratulate you for your retirement.”

Dwight paused, and Jim tilted his head after a long silence. Finally, Dwight said, “So congratulations. However, I would like to point out that this just goes to prove that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks- even at your age, you are still looking to slack off and retire. I, on the other hand, will never retire.”

Jim smiled. Same old Dwight. “Dwight, I have no doubt that that is true.”

Then, Jim turned to Pam and Angela and said, “Can you guys excuse us for a minute?” They agreed, and Pam shot Jim a mischievous grin as Jim winked at her. Jim pulled Dwight aside and asked, “Dwight, do you still have connections in the volunteer sheriff’s department?”

Dwight answered quickly, “Of course I do. I still work there.”

Jim was puzzled but said, “Oh, yeah, obviously. Okay, can I trust you with something Dwight?”

Dwight was now intrigued and said, “Yes. Tell me.”

Jim paused for just the right amount of time, looked to each side of him, as if checking for eavesdroppers, and said in a whisper, “Okay, but this is just between us. I saw something a little suspicious outside…”
Chapter End Notes:
I have always wondered if that thing with the door glass would work. Thanks for reading.

I do have an idea for another story with a very general outline, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the time to write it out. This stuff takes me a while, which is why I am in awe of some of the things people put out on this site, especially considering how well they are written. I might get to it, though, so stay tuned.


ibraveheart is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Tales from West Scranton High School also liked 2199 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans