- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:
Title borrowed from my wedding song "Taking You Home" by Don Henley.

You are getting married to the man of your dreams. You are in the bridal room of the old church at the lake; you are wearing a dress that is soft, satiny, white and just perfect. Your mom is fussing over you and you realize you are not nervous at all, that this is what it feels like to be completely happy. You just want to see him, to marry him, to be with him for the rest of your life. Michael comes in and instantly starts to cry, he takes you hands in his Michael-way and tells you that you are the most beautiful bride he has ever seen (and not just because he has only seen 2 others, his mom and Phyllis). He tells you that he always told Jim that this would work out, to never give up, that you two were MFEO - made for each other. He says it in a way that is not quite Michael, as it seems completely sincere, and you start to cry for the first time all day. So, he hugs you and you cry tears of happiness and excitement and disbelief that Michael actually made you cry. You know that Jim would love this story.

Your dad is holding you hand, you are clutching your bouquet of white tulips, and then you see him. He looks so perfect, so tall, and so handsome in his tux. He is smiling that smile that just kills you, his excitement is contagious and you start to giggle and can't stop looking at him. You see Michael (who is sobbing), your mom who is beaming, his mom who is smiling his goofy smile, and you know that is exactly like it should be. But mostly you see him ... you see him walking in on his first day, stretching at his desk, plotting pranks with that grin he gets, staring back at you on the Booze Cruise, spilling his heart in the parking lot. You see when he left that day while Michael cried and hugged him and he couldn't look back at you. You see him coming back but not really. You see him coming back again, for real, for you on that fateful spring afternoon that changed your whole world. You see it all.

Suddenly you are at the alter, your dad kisses you cheek, shakes Jim's hand, and gives yours away. You are staring into his eyes and smiling back up at him, and you wonder how you'll make it to the end of the ceremony without kissing him. He is wondering the same thing. It's time for the vows and you can't believe its happening, you mess up a little and he laughs at you, along with everyone else, you don't care one bit. It's his turn and he does perfect with his vows, he's rubbing your hands with his thumbs that way he did that night in that other lifetime when you were dressed in blue, but this time he's not going anywhere at all. It's time for the rings and as he slips your ring on, you notice he is crying. As you slip his on, you are crying too. You both mouth "I loves your" and squeeze one another's hands.  This is so big and so perfect and so right, it's hard not to cry. The minister asks you if you take Jim to be your husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, and you say I do. He asks Jim if he takes you to be his wife, to nurture and protect as long as you both should live and he says "Absolutely I do". You know why you are marrying him.

The minister is announcing you husband and wife but Jim can't wait and kisses you. Everyone laughs and claps as the minister continues the official declaration as you both continue to kiss. When the kiss breaks he cups your face and says "You book so beautiful Beesly", you tell him it's Halpert and kiss him again. Suddenly, Michael is rushing up to the alter with a broom and telling you both to jump over it, to observe all culture's traditions. You both jump, laughing and smiling and feeling almost delirious with happiness. You walk up the aisle; arms linked and see the sea of faces that have made it for your big day. There are your families, your friends, your co-workers ... even Dwight in his burial tux has cracked a bit of a smile.

You think the happiness might just be contagious.



moreperfecter is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked But I Kept On Believing That This Day Would Come also liked 1621 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans