- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

“Where do you see yourself in 10 years?”

It’s a simple question, really, but when it’s asked like that, it suddenly becomes a life changing decision. The image was crystal clear, and it took his breath away. He remained quiet, with a somber expression on his face, until he was interrupted.

‘Jim?” David asked.

“Uhh…David, I’ve got to be honest with you.”

“Okay…” David said, with his eyebrows furled.

“I’m…I’m not ready for this. There are some…things I need to take care of before I can, uhh…be considered for this position. I just--”

“You’re not interested in this position anymore.” David interrupted, with a slight edge to his statement.

“No. I’m sorry, but I can’t do this right now.”

With that, he got up, walked out of his interview, dumped the girl who was distracting him from his future, and drove home to Scranton.

He couldn’t breathe when he pulled into the parking lot. He sat in his car for 5 minutes before he worked up the courage to walk inside and look for Pam. He still couldn’t breathe, even after he asked her, and she said yes. A few hours later he was at her doorstep, still out of breath. Hope, ache, happiness, and wonder stirred inside him as he knocked on her door. It wasn’t until she opened the door, grabbed his hand, and kissed his cheek, that he let out his breath and could finally breathe again.

“Do you normally greet your dates like this?”

“No, but this isn’t a normal date, so I thought I’d let you know my intentions…just in case you were wondering.”

“Beesly, you have no idea how relieved I am to hear that.” He smiled warmly, and moved in. He kissed her lips so tenderly, that she grabbed his other hand, and pulled him inside.

-------------------------------------------

“Where do you see yourself in 10 years?”

It’s a simple question, really, but when it’s asked like that, it suddenly becomes a life changing decision. The image was crystal clear, and it took his breath away. He remained quiet, with a somber expression on his face, until he was interrupted.

“Jim?’ Kent asked.

“Yeah…10 years." Jim thought for another moment. "I want my life to be like it is right now-10 years from now. I’m going to be a father in a month, my wife and I just bought our first home, I’m interviewing for a job I‘ve dreamed of doing for the last 15 years, and to be honest with you, Kent, I couldn’t ask for anything more than I have right now. I want to be at a job I love, and be able to go home to a family I love. I’ll work as hard as I can and do anything in my power to keep this life I have now, forever.”

“You sound like a man who knows what he wants, and how to get it. I admire your determination. We’d be lucky to have you on our team.”

---

Jim drove home, and was greeted by a very impatient, and a very pregnant Pam.

“How did it go?” She asked, while greeting him with a warm kiss.

“I’m not sure.” He said, kissing her back, “I think it went well…but my memory gets a little fuzzy around the time that he said ‘When can you start?’ Not really sure how to interpret that…”

“Jim! You go the job?!” Pam squealed. She threw her arms around him, and kissed him so hard that she slammed him against the front door, taking his breath away.

This time, he didn’t mind.

Chapter End Notes:
Kinda weird, I know. I was bored, and decided to give it a try!


malaz85 is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked 10 years also liked 2086 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans