- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Spoilers for the Job.

Short-ish chapter. More to come though. EDIT: Hi! So, Im going to be busy over the next few days and I wont be able to get around to finishing the last chapter until probably Thursday. Sorry for the delay, but work/school are going to get in the way. :)
“Is everything okay?” Karen asked Jim as he walked back to his desk and opened up his messenger bag.

“Yeah, no, I guess it’s just the reality of what is happening.”

“What? A big boy job?”

“Yes, exactly.” He laughed. “Oh, I left that questionnaire David asked for in the car, I’m just gonna run and grab it.” He said standing up. “I’ll be right back.” He said walking towards the door. He looked over at Pam, who was on the phone with Jan. She simply rolled her eyes and he left. He knew she wasn’t rolling her eyes at him, but he somehow felt that the gesture double meaning. He did feel like he had offended her, he just didn't know how. Actually, he did know how, he just didn't want to believe that now, at the point he was at in his life, she was finally ready to be with him, but he was ready for bigger things.

At least he thought he was ready for bigger things.

She sat at her desk and saw that the bag was open on his chair. She had a window in order to get the letter into his bag. It was the perfect opportunity. She debated in her head whether or not to take the chance one more time, and suddenly…

RHoward: Do it.

PBeesly: I threw it out.

RHoward: I took it out of the trash when you weren’t looking. It’s in your pile of faxes.


She looked over at the foot high pile of faxes and saw the envelope sticking out the side. She looked over at Ryan and he looked at her with wide eyes.

RHoward: He won’t be gone much longer, you better just do it. Karen is talking to Toby. The coast is clear.

All she did was nod. She slid the envelope into her hands and got up quickly. She placed the letter into the bag, in between other papers and next to his iPod. As she let go of the letter, she felt liberated and free. She walked back to her desk with a gleeful smile. As she sat down, she panicked and regretted she ever did it. As her feet began to move to run and grab it from his bag, Jim walked back in the door.

Pam, still feeling the shock of what she did, pulled up her email and began typing.

“Hey, its me. I just did something I have never done, or imagined I would ever do, or anyone would think I would ever do. And I'm scared.”

She searched through her addresses for Jim’s email, but saw Ryan’s pop into her head. She clicked on his name.

She hit send. And within a few seconds, a reply was waiting. “Meet me in the kitchen.”

Pam got up and went into the kitchen, where Ryan quickly followed.

“I did it.”

“You did.” He said. “He has to know.”

“I know,” she said timidly. “I just can’t help but panic.”

“Worst case scenario, he leaves, loses his bag and never comes back, never knowing. Jim knowing is the least of your problems. All that happens now is you wait for the results.”

“I think that’s the scariest part.”

“Well, if everything were predictable, then life wouldn’t be interesting. And if I know Jim, he won’t be so predictable. Not now, not as he’s evolving.” He said, making the air quotes.

Suddenly Dwight walked in, and interrupted their conversation. “Excuse me; all personal conversations must be made on personal time. Not when you are on the clock. Right, temp?”

“We were just talking about the new line of letterhead with the optional watermark.” Pam said. “I personally think it’s tacky, but I guess the customers like it.”

Ryan just nodded.

“Well how would he know? He never made a sale.” Dwight said candidly.

“Dwight, shouldn’t you be interviewing for the new assistant manager?”

Dwight checked his watch. “Oh, you’re right.” And he turned quickly. Ryan and Pam followed, watching Dwight call on his first victim.

“Bye, you guys.” Karen said with her purse around her shoulder. “Wish us luck.”

Jim was getting up from his chair and walking to the coat rack. Pam slouched in her chair, and looked up at Jim. His eyes watched her as she reached for the phone to check the voicemails. “Good luck, Jim.”

“Thanks, Pam.” He lowered his head and left behind Karen, not looking back. It was the second time he had done that to her.
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are welcome.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans