- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Technically the last chapter. Still working on the next chapter, but I dont know how thats gonna turn out.

Do not own, yada yada yada.
After tossing the keys onto the makeshift table in her entry way, she scurried to the kitchen to put the heavy paper bags onto the counter. She checked the time on her microwave. 3pm. Good, she thought, a nice afternoon in, to relax and not think about Jim Halpert. That is, if she could.

After flicking through all the channels of the television 20 times, she finally turned it off. There was nothing to take her mind off of what she had just done. She cracked open the bottle of wine sitting in her fridge, sat at the dining room table and opened her laptop. Just one of the perks of a failed engagement, he kept the ring, she kept the computer.

She didn't know what she was doing when she pulled open her work email. Wishful thinking, maybe, but she didn't expect to see what was in the Inbox. From Ryan.

Jim is here.
He’s looking for you.


A miniature heart attack, it felt like. She didn't know what to do. She called the line to her work phone, and Ryan promptly answered.

“Dunder Mifflin, Ryan speaking.”

“He’s there?”

“No, he just left.”

“What?”

“I don’t know what happened. He went into the conference room,”

“Because he thinks I have an interview with the crew guys. I did that earlier.” She interrupted.

“And then he asked Michael where you were, he said you went home to cry over Roy.”

“Oh no.” She mumbled.

“Then, Jim grabbed something from out of his desk drawer and left.”

“When was this?”

“About 5 minutes ago.”

Pam thought about what he could be doing, if he was on his way here, if he just needed something for his new life in New York, or what. Either way, she was worried.

“Pam?”

”What am I going to do?”

“Whatever you do, make sure you don’t tell Michael.” He said.

Pam hung up the phone. She didn't mean to hang up on Ryan, but she had to leave her apartment. She had to at least see him coming. She walked out onto the terrace and sat next to the flower pot she bought for it. She could see from all directions. She would see his car coming from any angle.

A few minutes went by and she saw something reminiscent to his car. And it was parked on the other side of the street. She saw Jim’s arm perched up against the window. He looked distressed. Like he was rubbing his forehead, thinking of something to say, but was coming up with nothing. She didn't know what she should do.

It was not her logical thinking that brought her to her apartment door. No, she had no choice. It was like her feet did her thinking for her, and she suddenly was slipping on her sneakers and heading to the stairs. She walked outside and saw Jim in the car once again, his expression unchanged. She knew he couldn’t see her, so she just sat down at the steps and watched. After what seemed like an eternity and couldn’t have been more than 2 minutes, he looked over. Pam shielded her eyes from the sun, and got up. She walked over, across the street and stopped at his car. She expected him to get out, but instead, he reached over to the passenger side door, unlocking it and opening it for her. She walked across and got into the car.

After another eternity of seconds, Pam finally talked.

“You got my letter.” She said, staring at her hands.

All he did was nod.

“And, you’re here to say that you got the job in New York.” She said.

Jim looked over. He remained silent.

“It’s okay. I knew you would get it. I just needed to…” She stopped herself. “So,”

“Yeah.” Was all that Jim could say.

“Ryan told me you were looking for me.”

Jim looked at her with a surprised look. “So you and Ryan are in cahoots now?”

“I guess. Now that you’re leaving, I need…”

“I’m not going anywhere.” He interrupted.

Pam sat there in shock. “What?”

“I didn’t get it. They are looking at someone else.” He said. He never enjoyed lying to her.

“Oh. I'm sorry.”

“Its okay. You know, maybe its just…”

“Yeah. I hear you.”

“Listen, Pam.” “Jim, I…” They said at the same time.

Jim smiled. “I think I should go first. You did after all somehow MacGyver a letter into my possession without my knowing, so.” He said. Pam smiled. “I read your letter. And… I cant even say how it makes me feel.”

“I'm sorry.”

“Don’t be. I finally got to hear what was really going on. And, though its quite possibly the worst timing in the world, I needed it.”

Pam just stared blankly.

“Pam, I know that ever since I got back things have been weird. I know, and I'm sorry. But I couldn’t be the same as before. Not after…”

“I was an idiot.”

“I read that. Somewhere.” He said. “But, Pam, I still cant,”

“I know, because of Karen.”

“No. Because I feel like the new me, the one that evolved from grape soda to the healthier choice of water, cant go back.”

Pam nodded.

“But, no matter what, I still want to be the guy you come to for pranks on Dwight and getting out of Michael meetings.”

“Okay.” She said. “Although, I'm pretty sure my last encounter with Karen…”

“Will be your last.” Jim interrupted. He looked at her. “After I read your letter, after reading what you said, I broke up with Karen.”

”Jim.”

“I cant pretend to be happy with someone, when all I can think about is the one that couldn’t.”

Pam couldn’t believe it. She thought it was a dream.

“Pam. I have been waiting for you to say all this for… 4 years now.” He dug the letter out of his pocket. “Better late than never.”

“Okay.” Was all that Pam could let out.

Jim smiled. “Okay?”

“I mean, I needed to say it, because you were leaving.”

“So, now that I'm not, you take it back??”

“No, no no no. I just… I don’t know what you’re getting at.”

Pam was honestly confused.

“Are you free for dinner tonight?” He asked.

“What?”

“Go out with me. Tonight. Dinner. Eating a meal together. Somewhere that is preferably not an office break room.”

Pam stared. “Yes.”
Chapter End Notes:
Comments are awesome. Sorry for the delay in posting the end of the story, but sometimes real life really bites.


floodedapartment is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked The Messenger Bag also liked 2388 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans