- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam's last date of freedom

4 or so months later

It had been the best 4 months of Jim’s life. You could tell it in the way he had a dumb, giddy smile on his face every time she smiled at him from behind the receptionist desk. Of course no one really noticed--the cameras had been gone all summer. You could also tell it in the way he bounced up the steps to Pam’s apartment, that evening in early September. He was on his way to pick her up for their date--their last date before the cameras came back to Dunder-Mifflin, Scranton.

He wasn’t supposed to pick her up for almost another hour, but he couldn’t resist arriving early. She’d been at her mom’s all weekend, and he couldn’t wait to see her again, to wrap his arms around her and tell her how much he loved her.

He stood at her door and knocked.

No answer. He knocked again.

He was about to pull his cell phone out to call her, but on a whim, he decided to try her doorknob. Just as he suspected--it was unlocked.

In the four months he’d gotten to know Pam, he’d learned that she was forgetful…and clumsy as hell. It was borderline pathetic, but every time she did something to prove this, he only fell in love with her more. It was those little things that he loved about her, how imperfect she was, her beautiful flaws. He’d tease her about them, but then kiss them better.

It was no wonder Pam didn’t hear Jim knocking at the door. As he walked into her apartment he could hear her singing (extremely loudly) to Billy Joel as she blowdryed her hair.

“All your life you had to stand in line
Still you’re standing on your feet
All your choices made you change your mind
Now your calendars complete
Don’t wait for answers
Just take your chances
Don’t ask me why”

He thought about entering the bathroom, but stopped short and leaned against the wall. She kept singing, completely oblivious to who was standing outside her door. Jim was loving the concert, and was content to grin and keep listening.

“All the servants in your new hotel
Throw their roses at your feet
Fool them all but baby I can tell
You’re no stranger to the street
Don’t ask for favors
Don’t talk to strangers
Don’t ask me why”

Deciding that it might be better for him to interrupt, than to risk getting caught, he lightly knocked on the door. Pam yelped in surprise and quickly turned off the music.

“You’re a regular ol’ American Idol there, little missy.” He said as she opened the door.

“Jim!” She put down her hairdryer and threw her arms around him to embrace him in a long overdue hug. “How long we’re you listening? Wait, how’d you get in?”

“You ought to keep your door locked, Pam, or else scary men might come in and attack you.”

“As long as those scary men are named Jim Halpert, I don’t really mind.”

“Well, if that’s the case…” He didn’t finish, she’d kissed him before he could say another word.

“I missed you.” He said as he kissed her forehead as she pulled back.

“I missed you, too.” Another one of his dumb, giddy smiles to top that moment off. “Where are you taking me to dinner, Mr. Halpert?"

“Well, Miss. Beesly, I thought we’d change it up a little bit tonight. It’s our last night before the cameras are back, and we’re going to celebrate in style. We’re going on a picnic!”

“Ooooo…sounds romantic.” She flashed him a seductive smile.

“Nope. No romance. This is strictly business tonight.” He tried to hold back his smile.

“Why’s that?"

“We’ve got to plan, Pam! If we don’t want the office finding out about ‘us’, we need to figure out what to do to hide it from the cameras. You can’t keep flashing those smiles at me from your desk, I’ll lose my mind, and they’ll catch on.”

“Awww…I’m gonna miss giving you those looks. You’re so hot, what am I supposed to do about it?”

“Control yourself, Pam. You can wait 8 ½ hours every day.” He winked. “Now, how soon until you’re ready to go?”

---------------

Pam laid on her stomach, head on Jim’s chest, hands slowly running up and down the bicep on his right arm. He was laying on his back, but had one hand down, fingers running through her hair. They had finished eating an hour before, but were just content to lay there on the picnic blanket and enjoy each other’s company.

She felt the rumble of his laughter as she replayed her weekend with her mother. Because of the confidentiality of the show, she still wasn’t allowed to announce that she and Jim were dating. It made for some very interesting questions from her family, and even some hurt feelings. She didn’t want her coworkers finding out about their relationship, but also couldn’t wait until she could tell everyone about the amazing man she now called hers.

“We should have a coming out party.”

He laughed and she felt the vibrations of his every word. “A coming out party? Why are you so convinced that they’re going to find out about us?"

“Jim, don’t be so naive. The cameras catch EVERYTHING. I want this to be kept private too, but I know they’re going to find out eventually.”

“Fine, but until then, no horseplay.”

“Fine.”

“Fine.” He sat up and enveloped her into a hug. “We’d better get going, little lady. We have a big day tomorrow.”

----------------

He dropped her off, kissed her goodnight…and practically good morning, and walked back to his car to head off to his apartment. He didn’t tell her this, but he also couldn’t wait for them to become public so he wouldn’t have watch himself around her anymore. He took one last glance at her bedroom window, and saw the slightest dent in her blinds, where he knew she was watching him. He smiled, put his car in drive, and headed home.

Chapter End Notes:
More to come!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans