- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Pam finally tells him. Cheesyness to the max!

It was Saturday morning, Pam was at her last art class, and Jim was on his way back to Pam’s apartment, having played basketball with Mark all morning. He was drenched in sweat, tired, and ready to take a nap. ‘You’re turning into an old man, Halpert.” he thought to himself as he pulled into her complex. On his way to her front door, he passed an elderly man struggling to move boxes from his apartment to an old beat up car a few feet away. Jim gave him a smile as he walked by, and then immediately turned around after taking a few steps.

“Excuse me, do you need help?’

Relief washed over the man’s stern face as he answered. “Yes.”

“Okay, I need to go change, but I’ll come back out and help you.” Jim stuck his right hand out, “The name’s Jim Halpert, by the way.”

“Randy Colletti.” The man said as he shook Jim’s hand.

“I’ll be right back, Mr. Colletti. Don’t go anywhere.” Jim said as he waved and walked away.

------------

Pam came home around one, confused and slightly irritated because Jim’s car wasn’t in the parking lot like she‘d hoped it‘d be, and he wasn’t answering his cell phone. She tossed her keys and purse onto the couch and went into the kitchen to get a drink of water. A note on the counter caught her attention.

Hey, beautiful!

I’m out helping one of your neighbors. Be back soon. Don‘t start lunch without me!

Jim

-----------

After 8 trips from Mr. Colletti’s old apartment to his new one (on the third floor, mind you), Jim was finally on his way back to Pam’s place. He knew she was home, he’d seen her car there for the last two trips he’d taken between apartments. Mr. Colletti didn’t say much during their few hours together, just a few mumbled ‘thanks’ here and there, and a friendly hug when Jim was finished. He didn’t think anything of it as he was walking through the parking lot to Pam’s apartment.

He opened the door and found Pam in the kitchen, cooking up a storm.

“Hey there, pretty girl.” Pam turned around, grinning, as she heard him enter. She happily strode over to him, but he stopped her right when she went in for a hug and a kiss. “Not so fast…I haven’t showered yet…”

“Yeah, I can tell.” She dramatically pinched her nose and made a face. “Can I at least have a kiss?”

“I guess.” He leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on her smiling lips. “Mind if I use your shower?”

“Sure. Hey, who were you helping, by the way?"

“Oh, I was just helping Mr. Colletti move.”

Pam stopped in her tracks on her way back to the kitchen and turned back around. “You helped Mr. Colletti move?”

“Yeah…he’s a pretty quiet old guy. Didn’t say much.”

“Jim…he didn’t tell you, did he?”

“Tell me what?”

Pam walked back over to him. “Jim…Mr. Colletti’s wife died last week. They were married for 57 years.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

“Wow, poor guy. I wish I had known, I would have talked to him a little more. I’d maybe invited him over to dinner, or something.”

“Jim, I don’t think you realized what you just did.”

“It’s no big deal. I just helped him move a few things.”

“No, Mr. Colletti never asks for help…ever. You probably just helped someone get through the hardest thing they’ve ever had to do. Seriously.” She had tears welling up in her eyes now. “I can’t believe you helped him move. You are so amazing. I just…I…Oh my God.”

Jim, noticing the tears forming behind her eyes, said, “Pam…are you okay.”

She walked over to him and threw her arms around his torso, burying her head into his (not-so-good smelling) chest. He reached up and tilted her head up so he could look her in the eyes.

“Pam, what’s-”

“I love you, Jim. Oh my God, I love you.”

Jim opened his mouth to speak, but found that words were not going to come as he also had tears welling up in his eyes. He tried to speak again, but a huge lump had formed in his throat. So Pam continued.

“You don’t even realize how amazing you are, Jim. You are the most charitable, caring person I’ve ever met. You spent the entire afternoon giving your time to someone you didn’t even know, no questions asked. What kind of man does that?” He opened his mouth to speak again, to possibly answer her question. Nope, not gonna happen. Good thing, because she wasn‘t done. “The kind of man that I want to be with. I love you, Jim.”

“Oh, Pam.” She reached up and wiped the tear away that was slowly making it’s way down his cheek. He leaned into her touch. “I love you. I never stopped loving you.”

It was during that tender moment that Jim knew he was going to marry Pam. The woman he had been in love with for the last 5 years was wiping away his happy tears, and had just told him that she loved him. It was also at that moment that he decided to buy the ring.

Chapter End Notes:
Corny enough?

To be continued!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans