- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I have never, ever, owned anything having anything to do with or associated with the Office characters, it's writers, or the lovely network that is their home.

By the by...the closer it gets to midnight, the bigger idiot I am. Like a Gremlin...So, I just wanted to correct my huge oversight:

Sweetpea thanks for being the BEST beta on Earth.  This little one-shot probably would have never seen the light of day without ya! 

 

 

Pam gazed at her ring, pulling back slightly within the circle of his arms to get a better look at it in the dim light that dusk provided.  It was just...a Wednesday.  Just an ordinary day of the week that had become...this.

 

He kissed the top of her head, and when she looked up at him he leaned down to kiss the tip of her nose.  They couldn't stop...kissing.

 

After all the other...stuff.

 

Like a child with a new toy, she turned her hand this way and that, immensely entertained by a simple shift in light. Fascinated in the car by the way it looked showcased against the dark material of her skirt, later by the sparkle against the pale blue of his comforter, then more fascinated still by the press of it against his skin...

 

Watching the diamond flicker against his bicep as it flexed...nestling it now in the light dusting of hair on his chest.  Shadow and light...shadow and light...

 

Pam wasn't a materialistic girl. She'd never once complained about the ring Roy had given her. Had never once even had a bad thought about it.  In the beginning, she'd thought ‘It's me...It's us. It doesn't matter...What matters is that he loves me and wants to marry me...'

 

But in the end, maybe the ring had mattered a little. Maybe it had been a symbol of exactly how much he'd wanted to marry her...and to be fair - in the end - exactly how much she'd wanted to marry him.

 

"Tell me again when you bought this?" She whispered, snuggling in beneath Jim's chin, his skin warm and soft to the touch.  

 

Just imagining it all made her obscenely happy. The mall late at night...right after their 3rd date...right before closing...he'd seen it once two years prior in the window and told himself that if "it" ever happened...

 

"Beesly..."  His voice sounded all gravelly like it did sometimes when they were lying close like this in bed. The way it did when the world faded away and it was just them.

 

"Come on," she giggled.

 

"You have to pay attention the first time, Pam...Seriously, how did you get by in school?"

 

"You have to tell me now...I'm your fiancée."

 

"Oh..." Jim said chuckling.  And she kept her hand there against his chest...just feeling. "So um...let me just make sure I understand the rules...tie goes to the girlfriend, and now I can be demanded -

 

"By court order," she supplied happily.

 

"To tell you again about how quickly stalkers buy engagement rings for their victims?"

 

"It'll be our little secret, Jim...I promise."

 

A moment. A pause...A deep breath even though the cat was already out of the bag. "A week after we started dating...technically I guess a week."

 

She smiled, pulled her hand away just long enough to press a kiss to his heart. "W-...I mean...a week?"

 

"Never again will you hear that story."

 

She smiled and snuggled in against his chest again.

 

He sighed, while playing with the ends of her hair...letting his fingertips follow the path they made against her bare skin. "Pam, I already knew...I - you were everything I thought you would be...and...more.  So for me there was no reason to keep thinking about it.  I knew what I wanted....the only reason I even waited until now was to make sure it was what you wanted too...and when I was absolutely certain of that, it was just a matter of when the perfect moment came along."

 

No one...no one had ever been so unabashedly sure of anything when it came to her.

 

For as long as she could remember, remembering...there had always been that bit of doubt, about what she chose to do, how she chose to live.  Even her mother - who aside from Jim - she loved more than any other human being on the planet...wasn't always so certain.

 

But Jim...Jim was always so certain. So 100% sure of her, even when she hadn't been sure of herself.

 

"Do you like it?"

 

"I love it...it's perfect," she said looking at it. "This is exactly what I would've picked myself."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Yeah....I..." she got a bit choked up and he pulled her close, his mouth finding hers again. A few moments passed, more kisses and hands smoothing along sheet softened skin.

 

"So we're engaged now," she whispered, finally.

 

He smiled, and silence passed between them for a moment as he laced their fingers together, moving her ring around with his thumb..."What kind of wedding do you want?  You wanna go big or small or..."

 

"Small," she said quietly. "I think as long as our families are there."

 

"Really?  You're sure you don't want like...you know...the whole deal?"

 

She shrugged. "No...I mean...do you want a big thing?"

 

"I don't...I mean I'll do whatever you wanna do. I think I like the idea of a small wedding just because you know...we can pull that off quicker."

 

Quiet settled over her once more. "How quick are you talking?"

 

He shrugged. "I don't know...is like a month too soon?"

 

She pulled back so she could look up at him, see his face. "Are you serious?"

"Uh...Yeah, why wouldn't I be serious?"

 

"I just...we just...you asked me today."

 

He frowned at her, obviously not following her line of thinking.

 

"And you just...that's it?" She asked incredulously.

 

He was laughing. "I don't think I understand your question...I....Yeah...Pam, I wouldn't have asked you to marry me if I wasn't actually ready to get married."

 

And that was it.

 

He was still talking, but she didn't really need to hear anymore. "Beesly you are so weird. Did you not hear the part where I said I bought the ring like when dinosaurs roamed the planet?  I'd marry you tomorrow if I thought that's what you wanted too."

 

One hundred percent...certain.

 

And today was just a Wednesday...And hadn't it always been "just a Wednesday" with them?  Just a regular day...A day that saw you get up, put the coffee pot on and stumble bleary-eyed into the shower.  A day Michael said something inappropriate and Kevin laughed. Indeed just an ordinary kind of Wednesday that had mercifully decided to go ahead and kick her ass.

 

Just ordinary Wednesdays...for the rest of her life.

 

That was it.

 

"Let's do it."

 

"What?" Jim licked his lips then, obviously not sure if he'd heard her right.

 

"Let's do it. Let's get married tomorrow," Pam said again.

 

He started to grin. The expression turned into a full-fledged smile when he realized she was serious.

 

"Wow," He said chuckling all of a sudden, in a way that felt like he might never stop laughing. "You're actually serious right now."

 

She nodded, biting down on her bottom lip. "Absolutely....so...Suck on that, Halpert."

 

"Wow...that's...Beesly, let's do this."



LoveFool is the author of 48 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 21 members. Members who liked Wednesday at Dusk also liked 2745 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans