- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I know. Fluffy post Chair Model proposal fic from me? I was surprised too.
By five, she still hasn’t found her glasses. He’s kind of glad because it’s nice leading her around and in the parking lot, she grips his forearm tight when she trips over a rock and nearly falls forward onto the pavement. And he laughs and she laughs and it’s okay.

When they get home (he likes that word now, because it isn’t ‘his place’ or ‘her place’, it’s just ‘home’ no matter where they are), she’s immediately in the bathroom, putting her contacts back in. He stands in the doorway and watches her reflection. She blinks rapidly when she gets them in and he smiles at her. “You know I think you’re beautiful with or without glasses, right?”

She turns around, leaning back against the sink and reaches for his belt loop. She pulls him against her and her skin looks warm in the dim light of the energy saving light bulb she has above the mirror. “I know,” she says quietly, nodding and kissing him.

He lets out a long breath and leans into her a little, bracing himself on either side of the sink so he’s not crushing her. He drops his head and presses his lips to her cheek and her neck and her jaw. He feels her gripping his belt loops with her index fingers, tugging a little, as his mouth moves to hers.

In the evenings when it’s getting dark and they’re getting tired and it’s nearly silent everywhere, her lips are soft and yielding, her head tilts back under his and she’s open to him in ways he never thought he'd know. His hands move from the porcelain sink to the back of her head and he lets himself get lost.

Somewhere in the 9 to 5, he seems to forget what it’s like to be with her. He likes being reminded.

They kiss slowly, leading to nothing, until he stops and pulls back. “Let’s go somewhere,” he says in a whisper. Because it’s been a bad few weeks and she’s the only good thing left anymore and he can forget everything else with her and maybe he doesn’t need anything else at all ever.

She laughs a little, smiling up at him with his hands resting at her neck now, “Like where?”

“Anywhere. Just not here. Iowa or Arizona or somewhere completely new. You and me,” he says.

His thumbs move along her jaw line and she bites her lip, realizing this isn’t a joke at all. “Um, I-”

He shakes his head and his hands are firm on her neck now. He thought his job was safe, but now Ryan’s got him thinking maybe it’s not and so she’s really the only sure thing he’s got anymore and he doesn’t want to see her slip through his fingers. He says, “Marry me.”

It isn’t how he planned on proposing at all, but it happens and he means it so much and this time it’s real and not a joke, but he can tell she’s waiting for him to laugh or something. When he doesn’t, her face falls a little, lips parting.

She forces out a laugh and says, “Um, what?”

He closes his eyes and drops his forehead against hers and says it again. He thinks it should be a question, but it’s really not. His hands are shaking and he knows she can feel it.

Before he can open his eyes again, she’s pressing her mouth against his and he thinks that’s an answer but she says it out loud anyway once she stops kissing him. The word is full of her laughter and he almost wants to cry so he just kisses her again.

Then she’s pushing herself away from the sink and he steps back. That small distance between them at that moment is enough to make him ache just a little. But she’s saying, “So, where are we going?” and tilting her head at him with that smile of hers. He’s never felt so light or so directed.
Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


unfold is the author of 102 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked then we leave it all behind also liked 2547 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans