- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I'm on a kick with these post-episode fics, and here's one for "Did I Stutter?" The title is from a Spoon song (love Spoon more than I should be allowed to).

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

He doesn't worry about his job. Not really. Not even after Ryan threatens it and Toby sits there and doesn't say anything even though at some point they were friends.


They had been friends. Jim watched Sasha and drank countless beers as he listened to Toby whine about his divorce and his ex-wife and Michael.


Jim thought Toby sitting by doing nothing was worse. Worse than Ryan being all pretend sympathetic, when Jim knew that it had nothing to do with his actual job performance and everything to do with the fact that he had talked to David Wallace about what a complete failure Ryan's website was. And Toby not coming to his defense was all about the fact that Jim went home every night with the girl that Toby wanted.


Toby had been avoiding both of them for a good part of the week. He had mumbled an apology to Pam on Monday about inappropriate behavior, but he hadn't said a word to Jim.


Oh sorry Jim, I'm sorry I molested your girlfriend. Also, I'm sorry I'm a huge tool.


But Jim doesn't worry about his job. Or well, he doesn't worry about his job too much. He knows Michael would fight for him, and he's pretty sure that David Wallace wouldn't let Ryan actually fire him.


But the whole thing, Ryan formally warning him and Toby letting it happen, just added to what was already a pretty bad day in a string of awful days.


Poor Pam. He glanced at her at in the car, and her head was slumped against the window. Her glasses had been abandoned as they tried to get out of the office, and she still couldn't see very well. Michael's comments were bad enough, but Kevin's hitting on her and Creed leering at her from across the room were the icing on the terrible day cake.


Her shoulders start heaving and for a panicked moment he thinks she might be crying, but then a giggle escapes her lips and he realizes that she's laughing. Huge laughs that roll through her body.


"What's so funny?" He asked, because he can't for the life of him figure out what's funny about the situation.


"Oh, just the whole day. Michael calling me ugly..."


"You're not," he interrupted quickly. "You're beautiful." She smiled at him, a soft smile that he feels through his body, and shook her head.


"Oh it's all right, it's Michael, right? I don't really take anything he says seriously. But then Kevin and the librarian comments, which are just ridiculous. And Angela called me a whore." Jim must of missed that one. As if Angela has any room to talk. As if she hadn't been spending most of her nights on the beet farm. A thought that only manages to make Jim's day a little worse. "And then Stanley. He just..." Pam convulsed with laughter. "I shouldn't laugh. I shouldn't. He was totally out of line, except that, well, we all knew it was bound to happen one day. 'Did I stutter?' Priceless." Jim loved her. Totally and completely loved her.


"We should quit before they take away what's left of our sanity," Jim suggested, and Pam laughed a little. Then she got quiet, and Jim wondered if he had said something wrong.


"What happened? In the conference room with Toby and Ryan? You came out and..."she shrugged. "Not like I could see your face, but your voice, you seemed..." She made a gesture with her hands and then let them fall limply into her lap.


"It's nothing," he said automatically.


"It's not," she replied softly.


"It's just, well, Ryan just wanted to give me a warning, I guess, for goofing off, or something."


"That's ridiculous!" Pam exclaimed. "Your numbers are terrific, only Dwight's are better, and no one is quite sure how that happens." She shook her head. "He's such a weasel. God, I can't believe he would do that. Like he's some sort of company superstar. His website is a mess, and he's a mess, and he's such a little..." She shuddered. "I could kill him. I should have let Kelly tear him limb from limb when she wanted to. What was I doing? Convincing her that killing him wasn't worth the time in jail?"


"Pam, it's okay, I'm not worried about my job, I don't think Wallace would ever let him actually fire me," Jim interrupted her rant.


"Still," she replied crossing her arms across her chest. "It's absolutely ridiculous." Jim pulled into his spot at her apartment and turned off the car.


"Are we staying here tonight?" he asked, changing the subject. Because although he loves that she's sticking up for him, and he knows at some point they should talk about their future, or at least his future, at Dunder Mifflin, he's tired and he wants to wrap himself in her and forget that place, and Ryan and Toby, exist for at least the rest of the night. "Or do you want me to help you pack a bag to take back to my place?"


"No," she giggled. "I think I've suffered enough consequences of staying at your place." Jim climbed out of the car and around to her side to help her out, and held her hand as he led her up to her door. "Although I could get used to you leading me everywhere. You're like a seeing-eye dog. A seeing-eye Jim!" She went to wrap her arms around his neck to kiss him, and missed, accidentally poking him in the eye.


"Ow!"


"Oh sorry," Pam said. "Oh God, I'm sorry Jim."


"It's all right," he replied. "Now that you've blinded me, why don't you go put your contacts in?"


"That's a really good idea," Pam replied scurrying off to put her contacts in. He heard her footsteps down the hall, followed by a small crash and an exclamation, and then, "I'm fine! I'm okay!" And he smiled.


He wasn't worried about his job. He didn't think Ryan could fire him, and even if he could, so what? Bottom line was that it was just a job, and he could get a new one if he needed to.


His eye hurt, and he had a headache from dealing with his co-workers all day, but he was home, he was with Pam, and that was enough. For now, that was enough.

 

 



sillyrabbit519 is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Everything Hits at Once also liked 2084 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans