- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The second and last chapter.
-=-




“What do you mean?” She asks, looking intently at me.


“I don’t mean anything. I was just… I mean… I was just making a comment on 3 months without kissing you.” I finish lamely. She doesn’t buy it.


“We’ll visit. I mean, I can come back for weekends, and maybe you can come up to the city?”


“Yeah, of course.” I smile and start to lie down, hoping it signifies the end of the conversation.


It does not.


“Jim, I know it will be tough. But this will… I mean, it’s like you going to Stamford—“


“It is absolutely nothing like me going to Stamford.” I interrupt. My voice sounds too harsh. Tone it down Halpert. “This time it’s for the best. You’re starting your dream. We’re together. And you’ll be back.”


“I’m going to call you every night. Maybe twice or three times.” She says.


I smile. “Yeah.”


Truth be told, I don’t want to think about her in New York yet. I know it will happen. I know it’s good for her. I know. But I’ve spent so many years pining after her… and now I have her.


What if I lose her? What if she finds some sexy, deep, artistic 20 something in New York?


“Mmm, how do I know you won’t go out to a bar in your loneliness and meet some young broad who loves your charm?” She says it a little too sarcastically for me to believe she’s joking.


I realize how ridiculous it sounds, and I feel bad for thinking the same thing about her.


“Yeah, I’m actually going to call off our engagement on the phone, while I’m in the bar having sex with her.”


“We have to be engaged first.” She points out.


“Fair enough Beesly.” I smile.


She smiles.


Smiling is fun.


I fall asleep much easier than I thought I would.


-


There is nothing better than waking up on a Saturday morning to the feel of Pam’s body against mine.


My eyes open slowly and see the morning sun bathe the room with light. It’s something that Pam would be great at painting. I would wake her, but she’s too peaceful…


Too peaceful and beautiful…


And it hit’s me.


-=-


I watch her eyes flutter open. I know she can’t see me clearly but she she’s a big human form where I’m sitting and she doesn’t feel me in bed with her.


She can put 2 and 2 together.


“What are you doing over there?” she asks, sitting up.


“Put on your glasses.” I respond, continuing my work.


She reaches for her brand new back up glasses she got a couple of weeks ago, after the office incident.


I put down the pencil and stare at my drawing for a minute.


She smiles as she walks towards me, taking in her portrait.


“It’s me!” she laughs. I feel a little bad that I wasted her paper for this.


“I’m glad you can tell that.” I laugh. It’s just a picture of her with her left hand playing with her necklace. It sounds better than it looks.


“Hey, that’s pretty good Halpert, looks like you should be the one going to art school.” She lightly punches my shoulder.


“Look at that detail Beesly. You could learn a thing or two from this.”


Her eyes focus more intently on the drawing. “Even the necklace is right. I see you made my fingernails longer then they should be… shame. And…” Bingo. She’s found it.


I smile and look up at her.


“Is this a picture for the future?”


“Nope.”


“Then…” She looks down at her hand, and her mouth opens in shock.


“Oops, I guess I forgot to ask…”


Her eyes leave the ring sitting on her finger, glance at the ring in the drawing, and finally land on me as I get of the chair and on my knee.


“Pam Beesly,” I say dramatically taking her hand. “Will you marry me?”


She smiles. “What do you think?”



-=-
Chapter End Notes:
Like I said, reviews are like thinking about how Jim and Pam's wedding will be during season 5. (oh.. it so will be)


Ellie is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked What Do You Think? also liked 2723 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans