- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I own nothing.
Author's Chapter Notes:
This was a random thing I wrote a long time ago based on random speculation from the boards.
“I want to talk about this,” she said sitting next to him in the empty conference room. She couldn’t get her mind off of last night. Instead of going out they went to his apartment, ordered pizza, and flipped through cable looking for nothing in particular. When he turned off the television he kissed her with more intensity than even the first one they had shared together, at least the first one that they both could remember. It was as if he knew exactly was going to happen how she would respond, but he couldn’t help himself any longer and dropped down to one knee. The words struggled there way out of his throat while her words settled in her stomach.

“You said you wanted to think about it,” he said in the same kind of calm distance that he had used against her for over a year. “I understand. You don’t know if you’re ready.”

“I love you,” her voice was getting weaker by the second. There had been no distance between them since they came to their senses all those months ago and now his only response was to not look at her and nod his head. “I don’t know what I’m doing with my life.” She practically all but yelled it out to the rest of the office and that finally caught his attention. “I’m almost thirty and I answer phones. I baby sit a man-child every day, and I’m not even working to get a degree. I’m just taking random class. My life has gone nowhere.”

“I don’t understand.” He put down his coffee cup and turned to her. His eyes were squinting as if the confusion had left a bright light to shine in his eyes. “What does that have to do with marrying me?”

“You don’t think that maybe I should know where my life is going before I bring someone else in to it?”

“Why do you have to do it by yourself? Things wouldn’t be all that different that they are now.”

“Of course they would. We’d be married.”

“How is that different?” he asked and when she was nothing but silent he continued. “You act like marriage would be a job. I don’t want being with me to be a job. I want to spend the rest of my life committed to you. Do you think that you’re going to have to leave me in order to figure out what you want to do with your life?”

“Of course not, but there aren’t very many graphic design jobs in Scranton. If that’s even what I’m going to do, I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“Then I’ll go with you. The point is that we’d figure it out together because that’s what married people are supposed to do, and it’s not like I couldn’t find a better job selling better products almost anywhere else. If you want a degree then pick a plan and take the classes you need next semester.”

“You think I can do that and be a wife?” The tears she had been fighting back and finally vanished where they sat in her eyes, and her voice returned to its natural octave.

“Yes. I think you could do that and be a great wife.” He reached out and grabbed her hands in his. The tightening in his chest that had been torturing him since he turned off the television last night was started to let up. He smiled for the first time in over twelve hours.

“You really want to marry him?” She asked him with a small smile tilting her head the side a little bit.

“Yes. I really want to marry you.” He leaned down and kissed both her hands.

“Well, let’s do that then.” She said with a large smile growing by the second as his head popped up and his eyes went wide.

“You mean…Are you serious? Because if you’re serious I will go book the tickets right now.” He couldn’t get the shocked look off his face. She grabbed his hand and dragged him behind the reception desk. “Are we really doing this?” He asked once but quicker than he could let her change her mind he asked, “Vegas or Atlantic City?”

“Vegas. Atlantic City still seems kind of scary. Not that I’ve ever been there…or Vegas. Jim, I’ve never been on a plane before.” She gave him that smile that she did when she was thinking about how much she loved him the shy kind of smile that hid behind things when it couldn’t control itself. She typed quickly and had booked him the next flight they could get still giving them enough time to go home before getting to the airport. “Damn, I left my purse in the car. Can you go get it?” She asked while he was already pulling out his wallet. “I don’t want you to pay for it.”

“If we’re really doing this it will technically be your money too.” The words came out effortlessly.

“Awesome! That so makes it totally worth it.” She quipped.

“So, you only want to marry me for my money?”

“Exactly!”
Chapter End Notes:
I hope you like it. Please review even if you think it's a random pile of crap. All feedback helps. :D


ISayOye is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Exactly also liked 2456 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans