- Text Size +

Jim Halpert couldn't believe it. How many more random things would stand in the way of a happy future with Pam? After all they had been through in the past and then dealing with the Ryan debacle, things seemed to be looking up. He had created the perfect moment to propose to Pam and he knew she was going to say yes. He even got so far as a "Hey" before he was interrupted, and it was all Andy Bernard's fault.

"Are you okay, Jim?" a concerned Pam asked.

"Yeah," he replied, a bit distracted as he was trying to burn a hole in Andy's head. He was determined to get his revenge on Andy as soon as possible.

"Are you sure?" Pam asked. "Because I haven't seen your face like that since the time Michael asked us about our favorite sexual positions."

Jim laughed. She was always good at lightening the mood when he was upset. "You know what? Screw it,” he impulsively said.

"What?" she said, a little startled at not only what he said, but also by the fact that he left his chair and got down on one knee.

Jim opened up the little box and displayed the ring to her. "Pamela Beesly, will you marry me?"

The word that came out of her mouth surprised her almost as much as it surprised him. "No.”

This was the last thing Jim expected her to say. He searched her face, hoping that she was joking. Maybe this was some payback for all of his proposal pranks. Sadly, he knew this was just wishful thinking. He’d seen this look on her face before. The same look he'd hoped to never see again. This was real. She did not want to marry him.

“What?” a still bewildered Jim responded. “I thought this is what you wanted.”

“I thought so, too,” a teary Pam replied. “I don't know what to say.”

She didn't even really understand it herself. She was definitely in love with Jim, so what was the problem? Maybe it was the art school in New York. Maybe it was cold feet because her last engagement wasn't a very positive one. Whatever it was, she just couldn't say yes at that moment, and she didn't know how to explain that to Jim.

“I guess you said it all with that one word, didn't you?” he said with a little more bite than he intended.

“Jim...”

“Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I guess I just feel like an idiot right now.”

“Please don't feel that way.”

“Actually, I'm gonna go for a walk. I think that would be good for me.”

“Jim!” she called out, trying to stop him, but it was too late. He was determined to get away as quickly as possible.

It had been an excruciatingly long wait for Jim to come back, but it did give Pam time to think. All she could think about is how crazy she'd been. She wanted to marry him. She knew that for a long time. Pam decided there was no more time for stupid excuses to not go after what she deserved. She got out her cell phone, dialed, and impatiently waited for an answer.

“Pam Babely!” Andy exclaimed, greeting Pam enthusiastically, but looking a bit desperate.

“Not now Andy,” she said as she kept dialing and dialing, hoping that Jim would pick up soon.

“Well, the thing is I can't find Angela. I was hoping...”

Pam was starting to feel a little desperate herself. “Andy, I said NOT. NOW.”

“Very well. I guess I'll just go look for her in the ditch over there! Seems like a reasonable place for her to go,” he sarcastically said.

Pam wasn't paying attention to him anymore. The only thing she was paying attention to was her cell phone and the redial button on it. Jim didn't seem to be taking calls at the moment, and this deeply concerned her.

Little did Andy know that his beloved Angela was in one of the most obvious places for him to look. She was up in the office by her desk. It's probably a good thing he didn't know that, because he would have seen a half-naked Angela cheating on him.

No more necking for Angela. She needed some raw sexual energy and this man could provide it in ways that Andy never could, if only he would turn off that damn cell phone that kept ringing.

“Please shut that thing off,” she demanded.

Jim reached into his pocket and turned the ringer off before returning to her lips. It was only a matter of time before Angela smacked him on the chest to get his attention and he turned around to see someone standing at the entrance. When Jim saw a stunned Phyllis looking at the two of them, he knew nothing would ever be the same again.




Chapter End Notes:

I told you guys I was saving the worst for last! However, anyone who has read In Her Arms probably expected this from me. :)


larrymcg is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked It Could've Been Worse also liked 520 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans