- Text Size +
Jim rubs his hands over his tired eyes as he stands under the hot water. He can’t believe Mr. Andrew Frikkin’ Bernard STOLE his proposal!!! It would have been perfect – fireworks, music, and in the very parking lot where he first confessed his love for her. Perfect.

Angela doesn’t even want to get married if her “I said OK” is any indication. Jim can’t help but be angry. He had been waiting since the second week he had been dating Pam for the perfect moment and now he has to find another. Who knows how long that will take? His heart aches at the thought.

He lets the shower relax him, the hot water making him come back to himself a little. Finally, when his fingers are pruny, he turns off the water. Towel wrapped around his hips, he opens his drawer in Pam’s dresser and sighs. Tonight is supposed to be the night they plan moving in together instead of just having drawers.

He pulls on an old, faded Eagles t-shirt and boxers and leaves the bedroom to join Pam in the living room. He hears music and sees a soft glow so he assumes she’s watching TV. But when he enters the room, he finds that the music and light are from the stereo and candles. Pam is sitting on the couch. But what makes him freeze in the doorway is the little black box that is sitting on the coffee table in front of her.

“Pam…” She smiles up at him in the way that made his stomach flip and stands up.

“You were going to propose for real tonight,” she says, making it a statement not a question. “Romantic setting, fireworks I assume you paid for.”

“I…” He’s caught and he’s not sure how to react to that. How is he going to surprise her now?

“You wanted it to be perfect.” He nods. “It doesn’t have to be, Jim. I don’t need some elaborate set-up. I just want to be engaged to you.”

Now she’s the one who surprises him by dropping to her knee before him.

“James Christopher Halpert, I am madly in love with you. Will you marry me?” Jim can’t believe this is happening. He certainly never thought it would happen like this. He realizes he’s staring at her dumbly though when she says, “Are you going to give me an answer?” He drops to his knees in front of her, evening out the vast difference in their heights.

“I’m supposed to be the one asking that question.” He takes her tiny hands in his.

“That’s not an answer,” she replies, grinning.

“Yes, Pamela Morgan Beesly, I will marry you.” He pulls her close, hugging her tightly as his long arms wind nearly double around her. She squeezes back and sniffles, tears of happiness slipping down her cheeks. Jim pulls back slightly for a moment, brushing her tears away as he cups her face, then kisses her.

When the kiss ends, they are both grinning like fools.

“So,” Pam says, glancing at the coffee table, “are you going to put that ring on my finger or what?” Jim chuckled.

“I don’t know. You proposed to me. Shouldn’t I be getting the ring?” He picks up the box anyway and takes the ring out. “You were wrong,” he tells her, sliding the diamond onto her finger. “You said it doesn’t need to be perfect. But it is. As long as it’s you and me, it’s perfect.”

“You’re so cheesy.” Pam wraps her arms around his neck.

“You love it.”

“I do. For the rest of my life.”


/end

Ok, yes, another proposal fic. And I think I have one more in me, so that will probably be coming soon.


standinginthedoorway is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Waiting For The Perfect Moment also liked 2178 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans