- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I cross posted this story on another fanfiction site.
--

Disclaimer: I do not nor have ever owned The Office or any part of it.
--


Sobs racked Pam’s body and she grabbed a tissue to stop the tears. She discreetly bent down in her office chair, behind reception. It was in the hopes that he wouldn’t see. She peeked a glance up at Jim, only to see him intently staring back at her. She dropped her hazel eyes quickly and pretended to be typing an e-mail.

A clattering noise was heard above her and she snapped her head up only to find the one and only Jim Halpert racking the jellybean box, trying to find a green one.

He swallowed, glancing down at Pam. Their eyes connected for a second and she immediately took an interest in her computer again. He stopped looking for a jellybean and took to looking at her, instead.

“Hey,” he whispered, softly. Although a small word, it made Pam’s heart melt.

“Hi,” she squeaked out, hoping that her voice didn’t quiver. A fresh wave of tears overtook her and she took a deep, ragged breath in an attempt to calm herself.

She couldn’t help but peer up again at her coworker. Concern, worry, and love were etched in his features and her breath caught in her throat. Where was all the oxygen when you needed it? She found her heart loudly pounding against her chest and she prayed that the phone would ring so it could drown out her heart. She was sure he could hear that.

“Pam, are you okay?” He asked with such solicitude that it made her heart flutter for a second. She then remembered why he was asking and instantly felt sad again.

“No.” Her answer was sudden, final, and definite. He took a deep breath and swallowed the knot in his throat.

“Why?” he managed to croak out.

“Roy,” she breathed, her eyes down again. At first, Jim thought that something had happened to Roy. His mind suddenly flashed with images of car accidents, fights, and hospitals.

“Did ... something happen to him?” It was a blunt statement, but he needed to know the answer. Part of him was cheering. But the bigger part was scolding him for thinking so happily. With Roy gone he could have Pam. The bigger part of his mind took to reprimanding the smaller part again. Whatever happened had made Pam devastated. And that was definitely not a good thing.

“Oh,” she gasped lightly and brought her watery eyes to look at Jim. “No. Nothing of that sort.”

It was as if he were driving in a car and, all of a sudden, a stop sign appeared out of nowhere. His mind halted to a stop, the brakes screeching loudly.

“Then what is it?” His voice, so tender with concern touched Pam. She couldn’t not tell him.

“We’re not together anymore.” It was simple and absolute. She turned her attention back to her computer, signifying her desire of dropping the subject. Jim walked dejectedly back to his desk, reveling at the news.

She was single. The love of his life was single and he finally got his chance.

--

Jim’s eyes were glued at the clock. He could’ve sworn that the old, round clock hung high on the wall was broken. 4:46 PM.

He looked at Pam again. It had been two hours since she had come back from the warehouse, crying. Her eyes were now red and puffy, and her face was clearly blotchy. Michael had surprisingly steered clear from all inappropriate jokes about Pam crying. Maybe he was in a good mood today.

Jim cleaned up his desk a little to waste time. He carefully lined up his pencil sharpener, stapler, and pencil cup neatly next to his computer monitor. He shut down his computer slowly and organized the top drawer of his desk. The clock begged him to look at it and his eyes drifted up to the spot on the wall he looked at most often. Well, that he looked at sometimes. He looked at Pam more.

4:55 PM. Close enough.

He grabbed his briefcase from the back on his chair, ignoring the comments about how he was going to be in trouble for leaving early from Dwight. His eyes were fixed on Pam and he bobbed his head, motioning for her to follow him. She grinned slightly. Her smile made all his insides warm. It made his heart bubble and the edges of his lips twitch into a grin. He got into his coat and held her pink one open for her. She snaked her arms into the familiar fabric and turned to Jim as he caught her hand and held it tightly.

The both of them ignored the stares of their coworkers as they made their way out of the building and into the parking lot.
Chapter End Notes:
--

You know what time it is.


Alyx is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Blue Skies Ahead also liked 242 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans