- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter title from "3rd Planet" by Modest Mouse.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Jim thought about calling in sick, but knew there was no point. There was nothing at Dunder-Mifflin he had to face anymore. There would be no more awkward smiles. There would be no more fumbling conversations. There would be no more jelly beans. There would be no more stalled starts. He got dressed just like every other morning and made his way to work.

Jim walked into the office, hung up his coat, and froze when he saw the reception desk. A framed picture of Pam was set up on the desk with a lit candle, yogurt lid and paintbrush set next to it. He shook his head and went to his desk. Before he could even sit down, Michael swooped out of his office and descended upon him.

"Hi, Jim," Michael said quietly. He put his hand on Jim's shoulder. "How you holding up, little buddy?"

"Uh, fine," Jim answered. "Are you okay?"

Michael nodded gravely. "Just dealing with Pam's depart-ence."

"Right," Jim said. He pointed to the set up on the reception desk. "And what is that?"

"Pam's memorial," Michael said. "So we may remember her always."

"You know she's not dead, right?" Jim said and sat down.

"She's dead to me," Michael said sadly. "She quit, she left Scranton - I need to grieve. I lost Pam. I lost a piece of myself. Who's going to answer the phone the way that I like? Who's going to make up excuses for me when Corporate calls? There will never be another Pam."

Dwight spoke up, "Unless the temp agency sends someone who is also named Pam."

"Not now, Dwight," Michael said and sighed loudly. "Be respectful in this difficult time, okay? I just... loved her so much. She had so much life in her, she was so full of laughter... and she had great breasts, which I will miss."

"Okay, I'm actually going to do work now," Jim said, annoyed. When he picked up the phone, there was no dial tone. He punched a few buttons before hanging up the phone and turning to Michael. "Something's wrong with my phone."

Michael shook his head. "I disconnected all the phones in the office in memory of Pam. A day of silence."

Jim pinched the bridge of his nose. "How are we supposed to get any work done?"

"Do online stuff," Michael answered. He reached around Jim and typed erratically on the computer keyboard for emphasis. "Send emails, send faxes, make copies, do anything that Pam would have done. WWPD, Jim? WWPD?"

"I think," Jim said, "she would have done work... and used the phone."

"Well, she can't use phones now, can she, Jim?" Michael said. His bottom lip quivered. "I promised myself I wouldn't cry again. Blegh. I'm going to go to my office to... sign paperwork. No one disturb me. And I expect everyone to be at Pam's memorial service in the conference room at the end of the day."

* * * * *

The day had gone by without further incident or work. Jim did what he could on the Internet, but eventually gave up and spent the rest of the day playing Snood. He was on the verge of beating his high score when Michael forced everyone into the conference room. Jim thought the display on the reception desk was bad enough, but the conference room was a travesty.

Michael had a photo of Pam blown up and fastened it to a wreath that had a banner reading Gone But Not Forgotten wrapped around it. On the table a few photos of Pam from various office parties were spread around and there was a large pile of mixed berry yogurt and spoons.

"This is inappropriate," Angela said as she settled into a seat. "Not only is Pam not dead, but the party planning committee wasn't involved in the preparations!"

Jim had to agree that this entire display was as inappropriate as it was ridiculous, but he remained mum. The last thing he wanted to do was give Michael a reason to prod him into making another speech.

Once everyone was seated, Michael stood before them. "Hello everyone and thank you for coming. I'd like to play a video for you all, one that I made myself. It is beautiful and moving and about Pam."

Michael turned on the television and pushed the play button on the VCR. The video contained some out-of-focus footage of Pam, but most of it seemed to be a "best of" compilation of Michael at the Dundies. The fact that he was singing Sarah McLachlan's hit "I Will Remember You" over the video was not helping matters.

When the video finished, Michael shut off the television. He sniffled. "I'll miss her so much. Pam was more than a receptionist to me. She was also my assistant. The office has lost its heart and the ample bosom that covered the heart. Maybe also the lungs. I'm not really sure where the lungs are. Definitely not the appendix, because that's useless. We still have the appendix - Toby. Useless and full of poison, waiting to explode and kill your happiness. I think we should all go around and say our favorite moments we had with Pam. For me, it was when Pam and I listened to my mixtapes. She really enjoyed that, I think."

Michael went around the room asking everyone to state their favorite memory involving Pam. The only person who didn't quite understand what was going on was Creed, who began talking about a chicken farm in Wisconsin. Michael cut him off and pointed to Jim.

"Uh..." Jim cleared his throat. "Well... all of them."

Phyllis patted his forearm and he tried to smile.

Chapter End Notes:
Woo! I just finished my first day at my radio internship and am in a good mood. The wheels start turning in the next chapter.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans