- Text Size +

 

Loving Pamela,

I received your letter as of last night. It is so nice to hear that Richard is crawling already, I am ever so sorry that I can not be there to witness his growth myself.

From the sounds of your closure the town was overwhelmed with activity. I have not heard as of late, but I pray that you are all well. There was word around camp that the rebels had invaded our home town. We pray every night from word of one of our families. Because of the preceding weather the post has been slow. We grow weary and we try to keep ourselves entertained. Master Sergeant Schrute has been the perfect distraction to the harrowing days of war.

Camp has turned into a muddy mess and many of the men end up wandering around as naked as the day they were born. I do find it entertaining to watch Master Sergeant Schrute attempt to avert his eyes. I myself have not attempted to live in camp bare bottomed but it is getting more and more difficult to keep my undergarments clean. It is not often we wish for a woman in camp but as of late it would be nice to have clean garments and a delicious meal. Private Bratton has burnt supper too many nights to count and yet Major Howard continues to allow him to cook.

There are rumblings to the east, I must close this letter. I love you my dear wife, and hope to hear from you soon.

Your adoring husband,
J.R. Halpert

*****

Dearest James,

Everything has calmed down here in town and we are all fine. There was quite a ruckus that evening. Wagons and horses were flying through the streets. Word was the rebels were on their heels. They were all in a real panic. The women and children were told to stay in doors as the fear of the rebels spread across town. There was talk that they had invaded a nearby city, setting it on fire and burning down the church. Soon followed 100-200 cavalry men serving as the guards. Many of the families had begun packing their goods to leave, but I stayed planted here, in our home. I refuse to leave the house our children are growing up in. My dear James, I only thought of you during that time. I had the children up in their room quietly huddled around me, while I read them a bed time story. They were brave boys, never crying nor begging for their father. You would be ever so proud of them. By 11 0'clock that evening everything was still quiet, so we concluded the stories of the rebels were false and we were able to get a good nights rest. There have not been more frays out in the streets since then. We are once again a quiet peaceful place.

I received your letter and could not stop the laughter for a good while. I promise to keep your secret of playful torture upon Master Sergeant Schrute from his Angela. She has been spending some time around these parts the last few days. She hugs her crucifix against her chest at all times. I ask her if she's received word from her husband and she has told me that he writes often. She did not, however, reference any of your playing ons. I can not wait to hear what your next adventure holds.

The picnic we held at the church went off perfectly. Mrs. Schrute was her diligent self and found mistakes around every corner and yet there wasn't a problem to be found. Her stomach has started to protrude ever so much in the last few weeks. I am almost sure that the woman is carrying another boy. That couple will end up with their pair just as she wished.

I miss you my sweet. I speak of you every day to our children. I will not allow them to forget the man they call Father. It has grown lonely at night in our sleeping quarters without you. I find myself crying when I lay myself down to bed. I fear for your safety and pray for your safe keeping. Come home soon my love.

Forever yours,
Pamela

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


dmscranton is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Time of War also liked 48 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans