- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Meet young Jim. I just always figured that Jim attended the University of Scranton, so here goes...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peter teases me that Jim is like the daughter I never had, since I always seem to take more of an interest in Jim’s life, whether it’s welcome or not.

But each of my sons are different in their own unique way -- Tommy is the oldest and the natural leader of the group, always has been. Success in school, career, marriage and fatherhood had always seemed to come to him effortlessly. My baby, Peter, while not as ambitious as a mother would hope, uses his good looks and charm to fall in and out of situations with great ease. Though he dropped out of college in his second year, much to his father’s and my dismay, I have no doubt that once he finds where he truly belongs in life, there will be no limit to what he can achieve.

But my James has always been -- I wouldn’t say my favorite, since a mother isn’t supposed to say such things -- but I’ve always had a close relationship with him. It seemed like he’s let me into his life as an adult more than his brothers have. I think the fact that I’m a middle child myself helped us to become kindred spirits in a way. My husband says it’s because Jim still makes me feel needed as a mother, something that I have to admit I’ve missed since my boys all left home.

Don’t get me wrong, things had hardly been difficult for Jim growing up. He’s incredibly intelligent, the kind of kid who didn’t really have to study hard in school, but always seemed to turn up with As and Bs and even a few academic scholarships. He’s always made friends easily, his charming personality winning over nearly everyone, from his Kindergarten teachers to the high-voiced teenage girls that called our house until the day he moved out for college.

When he graduated from U of Scranton, though, it seemed that his life was sort of stuck in a holding pattern for a while. Jim started his sales job that summer, because “it’s not easy for English majors to find gainful employment, Mom,” he told me, trying to rationalize his choice. “I’ll be there a year, save up, then to go to grad school. Maybe go into teaching, like you.” I guess it’s a quite a challenge for someone who’s always had things come to him so easily, to finally have to figure everything out.

Short-term girlfriends came and went, as always. Nice girls, nothing too serious. No talk of being in love or future plans, until fate stepped in and knocked my son for a loop.

It was at Dunder Mifflin that he met and quickly befriended one of his co-workers, Pam. He said he didn’t mean to fall for her, that it happened by accident, but that he felt more of a connection with her than he’d ever felt with anyone.

Early on, when I would talk to Jim on the phone or he would be over at the house, Pam’s name would always be sprinkled into the conversation. I would hear of pranks they would pull on their co-workers, of how she was with an unappreciative man who didn’t deserve her, how they have yet to set a wedding date after three years of engagement.

A few years after these conversations, when I actually got to meet Pam, I felt like I already knew her very well. Jim was right about her being so warm and easy to talk to. I could see that she was a perfect match for my son, but I also knew to keep my opinions to myself.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans