- Text Size +
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That same day that he told me that he was moving to Stamford, I finally understood what was really motivating my son to leave town. I had a feeling it wasn’t job-related, and I needed to know why. I gently questioned him until he told me the truth. Jim seemed to physically deflate as he revealed that he finally expressed his feelings, that Pam told him no, that she still planned to marry her fiance.

The wedding was in two weeks, and Jim said that he needed to get far away from here as fast as he could.

He cast his eyes down, pinched the bridge of his nose, and said to me in a sad, quiet voice that I‘ll remember until I take my last breath -- “Mom, I just think it would kill me to have to see her in a wedding dress.”

My heart cried for my son that day.

Many mothers would automatically hate the woman who shattered her son so. The woman who, intentionally or not, drove him away from his family and the only life he‘s ever known. But I honestly never felt that way about Pam. Dave kept telling me that Jim would get himself straightened out, that he needs this experience to become a better, stronger man. My husband reminds me of our one and only break-up years ago, before we were engaged, when he was stationed at Camp Pendleton and I was still in Pennsylvania, going to college. We had convinced each other it was best to go our separate ways because the distance would tear us apart eventually.

It took three months of misery before we both realized we couldn‘t live without each other, and we’ve been together ever since.

David explained to me that sometimes the only way a man can tell if he truly loves a woman is when he realizes that she has the power to really break him. He tells me how I had that power over him when we were young, that I still do, but look at the happy life we’ve built in spite of that. If we hadn’t known the heartbreaking loss, we may have never truly embraced the joy of being together. It took all of those years for me to realize my husband really is a romantic sap.

Just a few months after Jim’s branch in Connecticut closed and he had to return to Scranton, I got one of the best pieces of news I have ever received. Jim was on the phone, chatting excitedly about how Dad and I were right, that things were starting to finally fall into place. I had to ask him what he was talking about, as I hadn’t even thought about Pam for a long time.

“It finally happened, Mom. Pam and I are finally together.”

I don’t think I’ve been that happy since Tom and Christina told me that I was going to be a grandmother.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans