- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Annd the happy ending. Hope you enjoyed it!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like I said, today is a day that I’ve been waiting for.

A beautiful summer day, not too hot, just breezy and perfect, seemingly tailor-made for a such a happy occasion.

This time, Jim is standing in front of his brothers, tall and handsome in his tux and looking more like his father than I’d ever seen. If he would have been wearing Dress Blues, I would’ve sworn I was looking at a photo from my own wedding day, almost 35 years ago.

Jim’s hands are behind his back, but from this angle, I can see them wringing in nervous anticipation. He beams as the ring-bearer, my 3-year-old grandson, Evan, walks down the aisle with Pam’s adorable little niece.

When the fanfare blasts, the congregation stands, turning towards the back of the church to see the doors swing open, and Pam and her father begin their journey up the aisle. As they slowly walk towards the altar, all eyes are on the beautiful bride, but my eyes are on my son.

Jim is focused completely on her, the biggest smile I’ve ever seen on his face, his right hand swiping at a few tears that have escaped down his cheek, his little brother chuckling at the sentiment. I see the photographer capture Jim looking at her, and I’ll have to remember to order a print so that I can keep this image fresh in my mind forever.

One day, I’ll share my perspective on all of this with Jim, so that he can learn to listen and love as only a parent can, just in case his own son or daughter comes to him with a tale of heartbreak and despair. He will need to let them know that they shouldn’t give up hope, even when they think all is lost forever.

I’ll have to remind him of how he came to me, so destroyed, and said that he couldn’t bear to look at the woman he loved in a wedding dress, walking away from him and towards another man.

And then I’ll recount this wonderful day, of how I’m standing here, looking at my son, seeing his dream come true -- the love of his life in her wedding dress, letting go of her father’s hand and taking her place beside him, where she wants to spend the rest of her life.

I probably won’t, however, need to remind him that every once in a while, for the truly lucky, the love story does, indeed, have a happy ending.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mountaineers02 is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked A Mother's Joy also liked 2258 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans