- Text Size +
Ryan pushes his hair back one more time before walking into the office. He smiles at the receptionist-- cute and blonde, like Sara (the girl he dated two ex-girlfriends ago)-- and says, "I'm the temp?" like it's a question.

She blinks twice, lowers her eyes to his green checked tie, which he clearly shouldn't have even bought, let alone worn out of the house, because, as always, Laura (who just left him a few weeks ago to go to grad school in Boston) was completely right and it's probably ugly.

He lifts the folder holding his paperwork to block her view and she looks back up. "Right, the temp." She says it just a bit too loudly and Ryan hears someone behind him snort. The receptionist smiles, not at Ryan, but just over his shoulder.

Ryan isn't going to turn around and tell whoever is standing behind him that he's in business school and doesn't plan on being a temp forever, and is actually going to open his own business, so this is all just a means to an end. It's not that Ryan doesn't want to tell whoever the receptionist is still smiling at, it's just that Michelle (his college girlfriend) was wrong about him-- he doesn't have to prove something to everyone.

"--HR," the receptionist says and Ryan reminds himself to focus, taking a deep breath as the receptionist leads him to the very back of the office where a man who might seem tall if he didn't look so sad stands and holds out his hand.

Ryan shoves his folder forward two seconds before he realizes that the man, who is introducing himself as Toby, probably wanted to shake hands. Ryan pulls at his tie, fingers twisting around it and watches the receptionist walk away, already missing her smile even if it wasn't really for him.


fic_by_K is the author of 1 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans