- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
My first attempt at Office fanfic. Very short.
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
==========================================================

“And next, I'd like to thank Michael Scott.”

Those who knew Michael were slightly surprised that Jim was thanking him in his groom's speech. But no one was more stunned than Michael himself. He had been “borrowing” some food off another guest's plate, but when he heard Jim say his name, he froze. He hadn't been paying particular attention to anyone's speeches – believing that their speech-making abilities paled in comparison to his own – but now he was going to listen.

“I'm sure many of us here remember the infamous booze cruise of '06 of which Michael Scott was the captain,” Jim said.

This elicited a smattering of groans from the guests, to which the transfixed Michael was oblivious.

“I know how you feel,” Jim said. “The booze cruise was one of the worst nights of my entire life.”

Tell me about it, Michael thought to himself. Thanks to that Captain Jack with the authority problem.

“But it was also one of the best nights in my entire life," Jim continued. "But first, the bad news: it was one of the worst nights in my entire life because that was the night that Pam's wedding date was set, just as I was about to tell her how I felt.”

Pam, sitting next to Jim, raised her eyebrows. Never in a million years would she have thought that Jim would mention Roy or that incident in his speech. She wasn't upset; she was just surprised. She was also surprised to learn that Jim had been about to tell her how he felt that night. He had never told her that before. Jim never ceased to surprise her, even after all these years. I wonder where he's going with this, she thought to herself, leaning in closer, overcome with curiosity.

“As Pam's best friend," Jim continued, "I suppose I should have been happy for her – but I wasn't. I was devastated. I thought any chance I had of being with Pam had sunk. I had been boozing, as it were, and I started to booze more – too much. I wanted to be alone – to be as far away from everyone as possible, especially Pam. But I was on a cruise in the middle of Lake Wallenpaupack. And unlike some other people, I wasn't about to jump overboard, although I seriously considered it. So I went out on deck – or should I say the brig, where Michael was imprisoned. I don't know exactly why – perhaps because I was so depressed, perhaps because I had too much to drink – but I confided in the world's worst confidante that, as I put it at the time, 'I used to have a big thing for Pam.' Even though Michael let the cat out of the bag soon after, I don't regret telling him. Not just because he forced me to tell Pam how I felt before she heard it from someone else, but because of how he responded that night.

“He said: 'If you like her so much, uh, don't give up.'

“And then I said: 'She's engaged.'

“To which Michael scoffed and responded: 'B.F.D. Engaged ain't married. Never, ever, ever give up.'

“It was very simple, but very profound. And I want to thank Michael for that. Partly because of what he said that night, I never, ever, ever gave up. And now, standing here today, I'm not just engaged to Pam; I'm married to her. So thank you Michael.”

Jim raised his glass to Michael, who was still completely frozen but whose eyes had now completely teared up. After a few moments, Michael managed to mouth “you're welcome.”

Then Jim turned to look at Pam, was who actually crying, tears streaming down her face – but she had never looked so happy or beautiful in her entire life.

He never ceased to surprise and amaze her, even after all these years. Yeah, I made the right choice, she thought to herself.


johngaltstrikes is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Groom's Speech also liked 1905 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans