- Text Size +
Story Notes:
In Memory of Lee, my favorite Loyal Local Vinyl Supplier, who passed away last Wednesday.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
She notices that the snow is falling heavier now, as she looks up from the wooden crate of albums she’s rifling through and out the storefront window. Her car already has a layer of white covering the dusty blue the Yaris adapts with winter and road salt. A city transit bus lumbers down the street, its engine muffled by the blanketing ivory as it kicks up a wake of sludge and ice.

The melody in her head, still lingering from the car ride here seems to weave itself into the jazz trumpet being pumped into the Hi-Fi and she absentmindedly keeps time with the swishing of cardboard record sleeves against pine, the top edges sliding off the tips of her fingers to reveal yet another musical discovery. She contemplates an old soundtrack and feels a hand lightly grip her elbow, fingers rubbing the cotton of her sweatshirt. She turns to see him holding up a Peter Frampton album, grinning as he gestures to the title. She smiles and silently laughs and he quirks an eyebrow in question, squeezing her elbow once for emphasis. She laughs out loud this time as he leans in to kiss the corner of her mouth and she’s surrounded by the smell of dust and vinyl and memories and the combination of soap and sandwiches and newsprint that is so uniquely him. Placing a hand against his heart she pushes him back, remembering that they’re not alone. A glance over at the shopkeeper behind the counter relieves her worry, though, as he is hidden deep in a mass of circuitry and wires, nothing visible but his shoulders and the antennae sprouting from his headphones as he hums along to music only he can hear.

She realizes as she twists her hand in his t-shirt and smiles at the top of his head that this is it. These moments where nothing seems to fit together but maybe wouldn’t work alone are the ones she needs to pay more attention to. These are the ones worth remembering when crippling self doubt and uncertainty seem to crush her from every angle. This is it. This is the good.
Chapter End Notes:
The title is from the Frampton album under discussion.


TeaTime is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked I'm In You also liked 1089 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans