- Text Size +

            Throughout the day, he absentmindedly stared at her.  Sometimes, he didn’t even realize he was doing it.  He was so lost in her.  And a few times, she had actually caught him, making him blush.  He felt as if she was finally giving him permission to ask her out.  Why else would she be dressed like that?  He tried to shake it off until he knew for sure.

* * *

            Pam was extremely pleased at Jim’s reaction to her, and began planning her next move.  She decided that she needed to bring attention to her lips.  She fiddled through her purse, and found the container of yogurt she had brought from home.  She slowly peeled the pink foil lid off the top, and when Jim was looking, licked the yogurt seductively from the wrapper.  Out of the corner of her eye, she could swear she saw his jaw drop.  She smiled to herself as she reached for her spoon, and slowly began to eat her yogurt.  She made sure not to look at him.  She felt she would get a more honest reaction if he didn’t know she was watching him as he watched her.  She playfully licked the spoon, and hoped it was driving him crazy.  After she finished, she threw the empty container in the trash and then stared at her computer screen, pretending to work.

* * *

            A figure approached, and she was disappointed to see that it was not Jim.  “Umm...hey Pam,” Toby started, “I was wondering if you were doing anything tonight, and if you…umm… maybe wanted to go to dinner with me?”  Ugh, she thought, not with you, Toby.

            “Actually, I do have plans tonight, I’m sorry, Toby.”  She felt bad, but it had to be done.

            “Oh…okay,  sorry to bother you.”  He walked away hunched over, as if he had been hit in the gut.  She felt extremely guilty, although she did think it was best to not lead him on.  She tried not to think about it, and went back to work.

* * *

            “Hey, Pam…you’re looking pretty hot today.”  She tried not to look annoyed.

            “Thanks, Ryan.” She gave him a fake smile.

            “Do you have any plans this weekend?” He still looked hopeful.

            “Actually, I’m driving to my mom’s house tonight, and I’m going to spend the whole weekend out there.”  The guilt began to creep through her again.

            “Oh…alright, maybe next weekend then.”  She gave him a quick smile and a nod, and then returned to work after she watched him, too, proceed down the walk of shame.

* * *

            She was not prepared for what came next.  “Pam,” Dwight started, “Why are you dressed that way?” He demanded.

            “I have somewhere to go after work today.”

            “Is it a job interview?  Because this company is all about loyalty, and if you have a job interview, then you aren’t loyal enough to work here…or there for that matter.”

            “No Dwight, it’s not a job interview.”  He wasn’t convinced.

            “Then what are you doing after work today?”  She couldn’t believe he was still pressing the issue.  He was almost as bad as her boss, Michael.

            “That’s none of your business, Dwight.”

            “Is it because you do have a job interview?”

            And then, Jim came to her rescue.  “Hey, Dwight…I just got off the phone with Michael, and he sounded pretty mad.”

            “What? Why was he mad? Was it something I did? Something I didn’t do?” Dwight was beginning to panic.  “I have to go take care of this immediately.  Did Michael leave his number?”

            “Actually, he said if you really wanted to be Assistant Regional Manager you would be able to figure it out.”

            “Of course; a test of my intelligence and loyalty.  Thanks for the message, Jim.”  And with that, Dwight jetted out of the room.

            He was her knight in shining…business suit.  “That was impressive.”

            He smiled.  “Well, I wasn’t going to let him keep torturing you.  Besides, I don’t think he would have left you alone until you actually admitted that you were going on a job interview.”

            “I think you’re right.”

            “So, I know this sounds cliché…” he started, “but do you have any plans after work?” She almost choked on the air she was breathing.  Okay, Pam, play it cool, she thought to herself.  She looked up and smiled at Jim.

            “I don’t, actually.  Why?”  This is it, Jim thought to himself.

            “I was wondering if you would like to have dinner with me.”  Pam did all she could to contain her excitement.

            “Dinner sounds really nice.”

            He smiled his gorgeous smile at her, “Great.”


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans