- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Based on spoilers for the Feb. 1 episode. Title from the song Perfume and Promises by Idina Menzel.
Author's Chapter Notes:
My first try at angst. I have a lot of hate for Greg Daniels right now, so I'm channeling that. This is short, but it's just the first chapter. Oh, and I don't own the Office, yada yada yada.
It had started out as just a normal Friday. Jim and I had plans to go out for dinner after work, then maybe rent a couple of movies. No big deal. That was a regular Friday for us. Reveling in the two days we would have to just be alone. So how I ended up holding my fathers hand, silent tears streaming down my face as I walked toward a man I had never met in my life, but who was about to alter it forever, I'll never know.

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

10:30 A.M., Friday

I motioned to Jim to meet me in the break room. My eyes stung, and I knew that right now, he was the only person I could talk to. No one else could help with this new pain.

He walked quickly, and I realized I must be visibly upset. Great, I thought, I better get this in check before Michael sees me. No need for a "Let's Make Pam Feel Better" party.

When we reached the break room, he shut the door and locked his eyes to mine.

"Pam," he said softly, "honey, what's wrong?"

His voice was filled with worry. A few tears brimmed over as I put my head into my hands.

"Oh, Jim." I sobbed.

He quickly pulled me in to a tight embrace.

"Hey it's fine, I'm here. Tell me what's wrong."

"My parents are getting divorced." I managed to choke it out.

I realized that I might have been overreacting. A huge percent of marriages ended in divorce. But they'd been tigether my whole life. Sure, they'd had their squabbles here and there, but it wasn't enough to ruin their marriage.

"Pam, it'll be fine okay, it'll be fine."

Anger started to build within me.

"How do you know, Jim?" My voice was borderline yelling, though I didn't know how it had made the transition from a quivering sob to this.

"HOW do you know it'll be fine?! If my parents can't even stay together, what makes you think we could make it?"

"Pam! Hey, you're just upset. Don't say that."

"I have to... I have to go. To see them. I'll tell Michael I'm sick or something."

"Pam, listen. We can go out for lunch and talk this over, okay? Just stay with me. We'll be okay."

I turned to leave the room. "No, Jim. I just...need to think."

He sighed in defeat. He knew me well, he knew this would help.

"Call me later," he said.

I fed Michael a story about the flu, grabbed my coat, and rushed down the stairs and sped away from...everything.
Chapter End Notes:
Tell me if you want more! Reviews are like episodes where we actually SEE Jim and Pam interact.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans