- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I've found I'm not very good at writing anything but fluff, so that's the direction of the rest of the story.
6:48 P.M., Friday

As soon as the clock had reached four, I'd been ready to go. I managed to sneak out at 4:30; Michael had a meeting in New York, leaving me in charge.

I practically ran to my car and sped down the highway, my mind focused on everything but at the same time only one thing, Her.

I pulled into her parents' driveway and shook off some nerves before ringing the doorbell.

"Jim," her Mother said, "What are you doing here?"

"I just came to, uh...see if Pam was okay." i could not deny how stupid I sounded or how much this wasn't my business.

"Oh well, she's at the hotel. Where her father is staying. Let me give you the address."

She returned with directions to a hotel near downtown. I then had time to reflect on just how lost Mrs. Beesly looked. Her hair was messy, and her eyes seemed...empty.

I thanked her for the directions and pulled her in for a hug.

I whispered in her ear "I'm so sorry, Mom.". She had asked me to call her Mom the instant she knew Pam and I were engaged.

"Take care, Jim. And please, take care of my baby."

I was at a loss for words, so I simply nodded and walked quickly to my car.

When I got to the hotel, in all its two story-glory, I hastily asked the small lady behind the desk if Pam had checked in.

"Name?" she asked.

"Jim Halpert."

She slid a key across the desk to me. So she wasn't intent on shutting me out. That was good.

"Room 153."

I took the stairs up to the second floor, taking them three and four at a time.

When I reached room 153, I knocked gently. I wasn't just about to barge in with my fancy new key.

She flung open the door, clearly thinking I was her father. This severity was not meant for me.

Her eyes were rimmed with red and her hair was tousled just like her mother's.

"Jim" she murmured, and she crashed into me. Her grip around my waist was tight, but not uncomfortable. Wanted, needed even. I placed one arm on her back and the other cradled the back of her head.

"Shh, it's okay, I'm here."

She had broken into sobs, whiich were stiffled through my shirt.

"Oh, Jim, I'm so" sniff "sorry." "I didn't" sniff "mean any of it."

"Hey, I know. You have nothing to apologize for."

Her sobs seemed to lessen as she whispered "I love you so much," and kissed me.

"I love you too, Pam."
Chapter End Notes:
What do you think? Too gushy? One more chapter and an epilogue is what I'm thinkin'.


NoFireworks is the author of 8 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 1 members. Members who liked Stay Til They Turn You Away also liked 1089 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans