- Text Size +

            When Karen arrived in Utica, all she had was a suitcase of clothes and a few other necessities. Most of her stuff was still back in Scranton, waiting until she found an apartment to live in.

            She found a hotel close to the city center. Memories of Days Inn room 228 quickly entered her mind. Hotel rooms were all the same. All the commercials neglected to mention that – the room is just that. A room. Four walls with a bed and a bath. It would seem new and different at first. But, after a day or two, it would just become a place – a place to sleep, a place to think, a place to be.

            Karen was determined not to let that happen here. She would not spend weeks and weeks in that room. She emptied her car, and then drove off to find an apartment.

            She nearly felt guilty choosing the first place she saw. She wanted to do research, which apartments had the best ratings, the best amenities, the best rates. But something about Candlewyck Apartments grabbed her attention and wouldn’t let go. She filled out the paperwork and signed the lease, she could move in next weekend.

            When the moving truck arrived from Scranton, she was determined to do it herself. Maybe Jim had helped originally, but this was still her furniture, her decorations. She was ready to reclaim them as her own.

            Eight hours later, she was sweaty and exhausted. Her mattress was still on the floor, but it was at least in the bedroom. She still had boxes on top of boxes, and tools out on the counter. But it was her own.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans