- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

This is my first one, gah! I'm really excited to finally get it up (TWSS)! So please be nice. :)
Jim sat smirking, using every last shred of his willpower to keep from bursting into laughter. As Andy plucked away on his banjo, simultaneously hitting a series of unbearably high notes, Jim became seriously concerned he might lose it and blow his cover. Fortunately, however, many years with Dwight and several months with Andy had given him more than enough practice in restraining himself.

Upon his return from Stamford, things had been uncomfortable to the point of nausea between him and Pam. Their first real conversation at the vending machines had been painfully awkward. But day by day, the situation grew easier to deal with and they found ways to have conversations not contaminated by long pauses or clumsy interruptions. Today, he felt confident that this particular joke of his would be well received, because it was light-hearted, harmless, and undeniably funny.

And as Andy’s voice grew louder and higher while the lyrics became cheesier and more obscure, Jim knew that this would be a win. He desperately wanted to swivel around in his desk chair and watch, but it was better that he lay low. Besides, he didn’t need to see her face to know her exact reaction to Andy’s delicate, heartfelt serenade.

The song started to wind down, and Jim had a feeling that by now, she knew exactly how and by whom she had been set up. He was feeling rather proud of himself and eagerly anticipated teasing her about it for the rest of the week.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of Andy’s normal, non-falsetto voice, directed at Pam.

“So, what’d you think?”

“I’m…speechless…” Pam managed. Jim quietly shook his head to himself, smiling, wondering if she was looking at him, if she could tell how much he was enjoying this.

“So, do you think maybe you’d want to have dinner sometime? If you liked this, then I should tell you, there’s this great restaurant in Dunmore that features bluegrass stars all the time, you would love it,” Andy rambled. Jim was surprised by his forwardness, having only known Pam for a little over a week. But no surprise could prepare him for the load of bricks that would follow.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans