- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story is based on "Sometime Around Midnight" by The Airborne Toxic Event". They're a great new band & this song is perfect. If you can listen to the song/look up the lyrics before reading this, that would be great. Sad story. ENJOY!

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

     It was the first time I'd gone to a bar in over a month. Saturday nights were usually spent renting a movie, drawing, and going to bed by 10:30. If it hadn't been my best friend, Jessie's, birthday, I probably would've continued my usual routine. I felt like getting dressed up for once that night. I put on some evening make-up, a short red dress, and black Christian Louboutin shoes, the only expensive thing I owned. There was an 80s cover band at the bar that night. I remember them playing "Because the Night" by Patti Smith when I first saw him. Jim Halpert. He looked different. His hair was shorter and gelled for once. He looked like he'd been working out. The last time I saw him was nearly 2 years ago, on the day I moved out of our house. I recognized him because he was wearing a blue, button down shirt I bought him. He always looked great in blue. He walked up to the bar and ordered a Miller Lite, while I tried my best to avoid his line of vision. I didn't want to draw attention to myself so I turned around to my group and joined in on the conversation, stirring my vodka tonic. I turned around to see him join a group of people. I recognized Mark, his old roommate, but the others were strangers. I remember him looking happy, like he belonged.

I managed to avoid eye contact for nearly half an hour. When our eyes finally met, he walked over to me from the other side of the bar. I turned to order another drink, hoping he'd avoid me.

"Pam Beesley", he said to me with a smile. I turned to him, praying I still looked as good as I did when I left the house.

“Jim Halpert. How are you?” I went in for an awkward hug. I don’t remember what we talked about in that oh so brief 4 minutes, but I remember feeling like I was 16 and talking to a boy for the first time again. He told me that it was good seeing me again, and kissed my cheek before heading back over to his group of friends. I felt his lips on my cheek for the next hour. I continued to drink him away, hoping to forget his presence. Old memories started rushing back into my brain. I wanted to walk over to him and tell him that I’d made a mistake leaving him. I wanted to tell him that he was the one I wanted to spend my life with. I wanted to tell him that I didn’t mean a word I said the night I broke things off. I wanted to tell him everything I’d been holding back for 2 years, but I didn’t. I just watched him from the other side of the room. He had his arm around the hips of a wispy, blonde 20-something exactly the way he used to hold me. Although his appearance had changed, his mannerisms hadn’t. I could tell he didn’t know her that well. I watched him whisper into her ear, and take her hand. On the way out the door, our eyes met yet again for a slit second. He gave me the same look he gave me the day I left him. The entire world disappeared, and all I could see was him in my rear view mirror on that day, looking bruised and broken. I ordered 3 shots of whiskey and made an excuse to leave the bar. I took a detour on the way home so I could drive past the house that used to be ours. His car was in the driveway and his lights were off. I imagined him making love to the blonde the way he used to make love to me. I sat outside his house for what seemed like an eternity, until it hurt too much to stay. When I finally got home, I threw my clothes off and got into bed. The night was silent and cold.  I drifted to sleep and dreamt of the life I could’ve had with Jim. The life I should’ve had.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading. Please comment.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans