- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I own neither show nor song. Or DVDs if anyone wants to take care of that....

The title is from the song "Baby, You're My Light" on the Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist Soundtrack.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter Title from "Baby, You're My Light" on the Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist Soundtrack.
It was probably the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, he thought to himself. He had just walked into the door after driving all the way from Buffalo, New York, which he considered to be the longest drive of his life. He had thought the drive to Niagara Falls where they got married would have held on to that title longer.


She was completely undone from what she wore to work. Now she sported multiple shades of blue and green stripes on her pajama pants and a white tank top that managed to stretch over majority of her swelling stomach. He couldn’t tell if it was just his imagination or if she was actually growing by an inch by the hour. She was sprawled on her side; her hand absently rubbed small circles where their child occupied as she watched something on television where she laid on the couch. Her hair in a messy but still completely sexy ponytail, small bits of which were falling at the sides, all curls unruly.


Today a simple mental picture wasn’t enough. He wanted physical proof of just how unbelievable beautiful his wife was, especially when she was carrying their child. The click from his cell phone had caught her attention and the smiled at him from where she was.


“You’re baby is in there,” she told him in a soft voice. He walked over to the couch, knelt down, and with one hand coming up to the side of her face and kissed her. Once, twice, then third kiss he almost didn’t let go of, and lingered till a giggle escaped her lips.


“How is my baby doing?” He asked, eyes meeting her, smiled competing with each other.


“The doctor said everything’s fine. The baby is in there, developing properly, and said the morning sickness will probably calm down, but doesn’t always go away.”


“I wish I had been there.” His hand replaced hers over their child with small gentile circular motions.


“Yeah. What’s with you…doing your job? Being good at it?” She teased.


“I don’t want you to ever have to do this alone. I don’t want to miss anything.”


“I brought you some pictures. And just a warning, I kind of caved. I know we said we didn’t want to know…but then he offered. So I know.” She reached her arm over he heard to the end table next to the couch where a small folder marked ‘Unknown Halpert Baby’ lie. She pulled out fresh pictures of their child. “There you go. A tumbsucker. Even in the womb.”


“Wow.” He brought his hand up to hold his chin and over his mouth, raining in the amount of emotion that took him every time he look a new look at their baby. The baby that was starting to look more and more like an actual person every time they saw them, and the baby that got more and more real for him with each passing second. He didn’t experience the vomiting, the cravings, felt some of the kicking but not from inside himself, so for the most part all he could do was watch Pam, but in moments like these it kind of hit him that he was going to be a father to this very real human growing inside of his wife.


“Do you want to know?” She smiled with her hand reached out to randomly comb pieces of his hair off his forehead. “I know we agreed to do the whole waiting thing, but the doctor asked. I couldn’t help myself.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek out of pure need. “Plus, it’s not like this is going to be our only child, so we’ll have other opportunities to be completely surprised by the sex of our baby.”


“You’re right.” He kissed the inside of the palm of her hand. “Go ahead and tell me. Boy, Girl, or something else we need extensive training for. I know you say you’re growing a sea monkey but I always just assumed you were joking.”


“Boy. We’re having a boy, a very little boy.” She had spent the day practically jumping out of her skin ready to tell him, but he had spent the entire day in New York. More than anything she wanted to see his face when she told him they were having a son.


He couldn’t speak for a few moments, a few tears escaped his eyes, and he shook his head trying to pull himself together. A boy. It’s not that he hadn’t already thought that it was possible they could have a son, but it was just another one of those moments that smacked him. A ‘you’re really going to be a father’ moment that happened too far and in-between in his opinion even if they made him a completely mess in front of other people. Not that Pam could really be considered other people in that moment, because she was having their son.


“You can see his penis in this picture, well, you can the doctor points it out. To me the picture is just a bunch of blurriness on top of a baby,” she told him through a giggle as he leaned down to plant a few small kisses on her stomach.



“I love you,” he said simply before whipping the tears away. Then he kissed her unlike he had when he first walked into the living room. This kiss was slightly harder and hungrier with his hand tangled in her hair pulling her towards him. “Can I call my parents?” he asked as they pulled away. “And every other person I’ve ever met in my entire life, your entire life….”


“Would you like to just get you the white pages?” She reached a hand out so he could help her maneuver herself into the sitting position. “I waited to tell you first. I didn’t want to take the chance that my mom would call your mom and your mom would call you, and I’d miss the basket case you turn to.”

“Aw, that’s sweet, Beesly. Mock your husband for getting emotional over your child.” He matched her smile.


“Sorry, I can’t help it. Those crazy hormones,” She quipped. With both hands in his, he pulled her up off the couch, and walked over to the kitchen. “Did you at least have a good day?” she called out behind her.


“I retained the business and made an idiot out of myself.”


“I’m sorry,” she said muffled by a spoon full of ice cream, leaning against the entry way between the kitchen and the living room.


“Why don’t we try to name the baby, and help me forget the hell of being a co-manager?” He sat down on the couch and started to take off his shoes and socks, and loosened his tie.


“I already named him, sorry.” She sat down at the end of the couch completely facing him with one leg reaching the ground and the other resting right in front of her that nearly where her toes could almost poke him. She took another scoop of ice cream right out of the tub.


“Don’t I get a say in this?” Jim laughed as the words came out of his mouth completely amused by the concept.


She shook her head in response. “Nope. I’ve already named this one. You can name the next one.”


“May I ask what you’ve decided to name our son without my input?”


“James,” she stated without hesitation. “It was very clear his name was James, so we’re naming him ‘James.’” Her eyes started at her ice cream and slowly rose to meet his freshly teary-eyed expression.


“You can’t keep doing this to me, Pam!” He announced and she just laughed.
Chapter End Notes:
I have an irrational fear of betas so I'm sorry if reading my story caused any suffering. I hope you liked it and either way I hope you don't mind telling me your thoughts.
If inspiration smacks me upside the head again, there might be more...
Thank you,
Vampie


ElviraVampira is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked You're My Light also liked 2679 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans