- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Just for a time reference, I always pictured this one happening right before Jim and Pam flirt about dancing at the bar.

Disclaimer: same old same old, own nothing
Phyllis's Wedding: Uncle Al's POV

Uncle Al had dementia. He wasn’t sure where he was and didn’t realize that it was his niece who had just gotten married. He just knew that the lights were pretty and that the music was not. And that the pretty girl in the brown dress wasn’t happy. It made him sad that the pretty girl was unhappy. He didn’t like to be unhappy either, if he could ever remember a reason why he shouldn’t be happy. He thought the pretty girl should be happy so he went about to make her so.

He knew the tall guy, with hair much too long that flipped out at the ends, would make her happy. He noticed that the tall guy would look at her fondly, the same way she looked at him, but they never seemed to look fondly at each other at the same time. It was a shame. He didn’t remember what year it was or how he had gotten to the reception but he knew that getting the tall guy to talk to the pretty girl would make her happy. So, he cornered the tall guy near the bar.

“You need to make your wife happy,” Uncle Al said plainly. Uncle Al just assumed she was his wife. She looked like his wife.

The tall guy didn’t think he was talking to him, therefore didn’t respond. Uncle Al patted the tall guy’s arm repeatedly to get his attention.

“She’s unhappy, make your wife happy,” he advised.

The tall guy was confused. “I think my girlfriend’s alright,” he said slowly, nodding to the dark skinned girl in a blue dress on the dance floor.

Uncle Al shook his head and drifted a hand in the direction of the pretty girl in the brown dress, sitting sadly alone at one of the tables. “No, your wife,” he insisted. He was unaware that his own wife had died in 1972. “The pretty girl is unhappy. You make her happy.”

Uncle Al didn’t notice the shocked look on the tall guy’s face. Nor did he notice that the tall guy stared lovingly at girl as Uncle Al’s words were contemplated. Uncle Al had already forgotten the pretty girl and noticed the rolls at the buffet, which he wanted to take home to give to his son. He didn’t know that his son, who was 48, was currently living in Montana and unable to make it to the wedding. Nor was he aware that there was a strange looking man in glasses ready to kick him out.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans