- Text Size +
Valentine’s Day: Larry the Delivery Guy

Larry had worked delivery for Bob Vance of Vance Refrigeration for years. He suffered through all the girlfriends and all the dumb presents that were given on the stupidest of holidays. This year was no different. In fact, it was worse because he had gotten wind that Bob was planning to marry this one. So, of course, Valentine’s Day would be more obnoxious than usual.

That morning he had brought in three, dozen sets of flowers, two boxes of candy and a couple of singing cards. It was annoying if nothing else. The holiday was useless, he thought. His wife of 23 years had left him at Christmas. His kids were flunking school. He couldn’t get the damn truck to start because it was cold. He had no time for sickening sentiment.

A box of candy was waiting to be delivered. He took it across the hall and causally tossed up onto the reception desk like he had all morning. The receptionist, who had been looking more and more depressed every time she came in, glared up at him.

“Sorry, kid,” he said not liking it any more than she did. “Phyllis Vance.”

The receptionist shot up looking almost furious, grabbed the box of candy off the counter and stormed off. “I hate this day,” he heard her mutter.

“So, do I,” he replied in a whisper. He shook his head, thinking that a nice young lady like that should at least get a decent day.

When he returned to Vance Refrigeration a very large stuffed bear was waiting for him to deliver. He groaned. “Screw it,” he stated frustrated. “Where are those two idiots? They can do the rest of these deliveries. I’m done.”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans