- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Last one!
Pam had expected her baby shower to be awful. When Michael had announced it she had shuddered, expecting ridiculous antics and people to complain since she was married to a boss. She was pleasantly surprised.

The entire conference room had been decked out with pale yellow streamers. A small table replaced the usually large one, and it was weighed down by a stunning cake with plae blue and yellow icing, surrounded by tiny sugar ducklings.

Gifts surrounded the cake and the floor around it. As she entered the room she heard “Isn't She Lovely” floated from the radio, and felt her eyes fill with tears. Her stomach was now huge, their little one due only a month from now. Even Michael's antics couldn't dissuade her, since whenever he seemed to get close to offensive, Dwight somehow had distracted him with something of grave importance. Finally Michael had simply said “I will forever be awed and jealous of what the two of you have found. There is no luckier baby in the world.” Pam grinned broadly at Jim, who had smiled at his wife's tears of happiness.

Presents were doled out immediately, and Pam was amazed at the generosity of the people she worked with. A beautiful cot, hand knitted baby clothes, useful household items, and several homecooked meals from Phyllis. The older woman smiled, “Freeze them, you'll want something easy to heat up when you have other things to worry about!” Pam had smiled at the thoughtfulness.

One present came with a card that was unsigned. It was a small baby rattle, but it had been coated in bright gold. The card was simple also, an old poem:

“Make new friends,
But keep the old.
New friends are silver,
Old friends are gold.”

After some games and cake, Pam finally found who she had wanted to speak to. Angela was sitting quietly in the corner, attempting to look disapproving but failing as a small smile graced her face. She made no motion as Pam sat in the chair next to her.

“Angela, this is amazing, you have honestly outdone yourself. Thank you so much.” Angela glanced over and nodded slightly, before turning her gaze away. Pam pressed on, “I just want to know, why did you go to so much trouble?”

Now Angela finally turned and looked at her fully, and there, behind severe hazel eyes, Pam saw what she saw in her own face everyday,

Happiness.

Pure and unadulterated.

Joy.

Angela drew in a breath, glancing around the room to check who was listening before speaking.

“It's not outdoing myself. Not for you. Don't think I don't know what you did.” She glanced down to her engagement ring, a ring that in two months would be matched to a simple gold band. She looked back up.

“Pam, I think you are gold.”

With that the tiny accountant stood, crossing the room to speak politely to her fiance. Pam felt the tears spilling down her cheeks. Jim came over, concerned that Angela had said something awful, when Pam smiled up at him.

“I think Angela just called me her friend.” Jim smiled and sat next to his wife, placing one had over her rounded belly, where his child lay resting.

“As long as she didn't call you whorish.”
Chapter End Notes:
Usual begging for feedback, please let me know how you felt about this one, much obliged!


vicodinfm is the author of 7 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans