- Text Size +
Disclaimer: Nothing's mine (yet).



----------

second trimester


She had mentioned, multiple times, that she wanted both of them to be there the first time the baby kicked.

"I just really want you to feel it right after I do, Jim," she said, standing next to him in the kitchen.

He smirked, continuing to drag the towel across dishes that were already dry. "I do, too. But at least we know you'll be there. Ninety-nine percent chance, anyway."

She scrunched her nose at him. "That... doesn't even make sense."

"Yeah, you're right," he said with a chuckle. "Really, though, we work, like, two feet apart. We live together. We've got good odds."

She smiled. "Good odds."

He agreed, and not long after had rested an arm around her shoulders and fallen asleep with her on the couch.

A few weeks later, the day was dragging through three o'clock. Jim's eyes were starting to do the thing where they seemed to melt into the paper he was staring at, until Pam suddenly jerked and gripped the desk.

"What?" he mumbled, dry lips sticking together. He cleared his throat. "What is it?"

A funny smiled stretched across her face, as if she was skeptical. "Give me your hand," she whispered, her gaze focusing on his picture on her desk, and her palm turned up towards him.

It clicked. "Really?" he asked, maneuvering his chair around his desk to hers.

She waited a beat, her smile growing wider. "Think so. Come here," she said, cocking her head to the side and taking his hand.

She hesitated again, her grin growing even more as she glanced up at him.

"Come on, share," he insisted quietly, laughing as he moved closer. She took his hand in both of hers and pressed into the swell that seemed to be growing everyday.

"Wait for it," she said, her thumb moving slightly over the back of his hand as they both sat in silence. Most of the office was out for lunch; they could barely hear the clicking of keys from Creed's desk. Otherwise, only silence.

He edged closer to her until the arms of their chairs bumped.

"Come on, baby," she whispered, tapping a finger lightly on her stomach. "Give Daddy a kick."

His heart warmed at the word as he struggled to move closer to her. She looked up in time to catch the smile moving across his face.

They both jumped suddenly, Jim gasping and gaping at her with an open mouth and wide eyes.

Pam beamed. "Did you feel it?"

"Yeah!" Jim said excitedly, moving his hand around the surface of her belly. "Oh my, oh -- Make her do it again!"

Pam laughed aloud, tossing her head back and letting the curls fall into a trail down her shoulder. "I can't make it happen, baby works on its own time."

They sat in silence and waited for another. The baby delivered.

His eyes lit up as he turned toward her quickly again. "Holy crap!"

She giggled, tongue stuck between her teeth. "I know, I know," she said, her voice becoming more hushed.

Another kick.

Jim sighed, leaning forward again and positioning his hands. "Damn, look at her go."

Pam pursed her lips into a happy smile. "Covinced it's a girl."

His eyes didn't move from their hands. "She's a girl, I'd put money on it," he said. His thumbs stroked the fabric of her shirt. "Okay, baby, kick if you're a girl."

They waited, and of course it came.

"See!" he exclaimed, pleased with himself.

She shook her head. "Natural jokester. Just good comedic timing."

Jim smiled, his heart swelling and cheeks burning. When the movement had stalled and quieted for the time being, he removed his hands and logged off his computer.

"What are you doing?" she asked with questioning smile.

"Come on," he said, reaching for his bag. "We're taking a sick day. Let's go now, we won't have any excuses to make up before anyone gets back."

She smiled up at him.

"Come on, slowpoke."

She reached a hand up into his palm and let him help her out of the chair. He immediately pulled her towards him, pressing a kiss onto the top of her head as she closed her eyes.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans