- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh, the joys of toddlerhood....
“On and on you will hike, and I know you’ll hike far, and face up to your problems, whatever they are.”

“Oh, The Places You’ll Go” was Cece’s favorite. She sat, looking at Jim in rapt attention.

“More, Daddy, more!” she squealed, clapping her hands.

He grinned a goofy grin at her and shifted his weight on the edge of the bath tub. His bare naked, curly headed toddler giggled at him from her spot on the pink training seat he’d set on the toilet.

Cece had developed a sudden aversion to clothes, ill-timed in December, so Jim and Pam cranked up the heat and decided to make the best of it, combining naked time with potty time.

Their daughter wholeheartedly preferred naked time.

“In a minute, monkey,” he told her, reaching over to the sink to turn on the tap, hoping the running water would encourage her.

She shook her head. “More,” she demanded. “More now.” She bounced excitedly and Jim grabbed a gentle hold to keep her from falling.

“Okay,” he agreed. He couldn’t deny that she had him wrapped ever so tightly around her little finger, but if he was going to be accused of spoiling his baby by indulging her desire to be read to, then call him Sucker Daddy.

“You’ll get mixed up of course, as you already know. You’ll be mixed up with many strange birds as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with care and great tact and remember that Life’s a Great Balancing Act.”

Three repeats of Dr. Seuss later, Jim’s throat was getting sore, his backside was starting to hurt from sitting on the edge of the tub, and the kid hadn’t peed a drop.

“Okay,” he said, turning off the tap. “I guess you’re not ready for potty time right now.” He lifted her off the seat, standing her on the floor.

As soon as he reached for a diaper, the screeching began.

“No!” She yelled, shaking her head. “No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!”

Cecelia Halpert was even more fond of the word “no” than she was of being naked.

“Cecelia Marie,” Jim warned in his “Daddy’s serious” tone, “it’s time to put on your diaper. Naked time is over.”

She shook her head, her face growing red. “No no no no no no no no!”

With each “no,” Cece’s voice pitched higher and Jim waited for the dog next door to start barking. When there was no canine response, he tried again.

“Cece…”

“No!”

Jim sighed. “All right,” he agreed. “You can have a little more naked time but the diaper goes on before bed.”

Sucker Daddy indeed.

He lead her out of the bathroom, releasing to let her toddle her way down the hall. Feeling a slight chill, Jim called out. “Monkey, hold on.”

Her bedroom was past the stairs and despite the baby gate, Jim didn’t want to take any risks.

He made his way over to the thermostat on the wall. As he adjusted it, a muffled splattering sound hit his ears.

Groaning, he turned around.

“Is this your idea of a prank?” he asked his daughter ruefully. “What was that before? Performance anxiety?”

She didn’t even bother to look sheepish.

Jim shook his head. “You’re a mischievous little monkey,” he informed her, waiting for her to finish, figuring cleaning up one puddle was the easiest option at this point.

She bounced a bit. “Potty time, Daddy.”

Jim sighed. “Yeah,” he agreed, picking her up and carrying her back toward the bathroom to clean her up. “We’re going to have to work on your timing, young lady.”
Chapter End Notes:
She is a little monkey, isn't she?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans