- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Hannah_Halpert for helping me figure out the order of some things. Hope you all enjoy this chapter!
As a man, there were some things Jim Halpert was wholly incapable of understanding.

Like why a woman would choose to wear a wedding dress so voluminous, she required assistance from two bridesmaids just to use the restroom.

Peeing, in Jim’s mind, was a solo activity.

But apparently, Penny didn’t share his opinion, so he was missing out on a chance to dance to “Fields of Gold” - which had the dual benefit of being both a romantic song and providing the opportunity for Scrantonicity jokes - with Pam, who was busy doing god knows what in a cramped bathroom.

On the plus side, he was getting to dance with the prettiest flower girl in the world.

Much, it seemed, to the envy of one little boy who was the nephew of some cousin of some friend’s mother’s brother-in-law’s neighbor.

“Hey,” he stage whispered to his partner, who was balanced on top of his black wing tips in her white Mary Janes, her arms wrapped around his waist, “I think that boy over there wants to dance with you. He keeps giving me dirty looks.”

Holding on tight, Cece twisted her head to look at the boy in question.

And, much to Jim’s horror, let loose with the sort of twisted, tongue out, cross-eyed snarl that had made his parents say things like “if you’re not careful, your face will freeze that way” when he was Cecelia’s age.

“Cece!” he chastised, pulling her back and shooting an apologetic look at the child. “That’s not nice.”

She sulked. “Daddy, he’s gross.”

Jim did a little waltz step, or faked one, carrying his little girl around the dance floor. “How do you know that?” he asked. “He doesn’t look gross. Besides, it’s not nice to make faces.”

Cece let out one of those exasperated sighs she was just starting to learn, the kind of sigh he knew he’d be hearing more and more of as she got older.

“He’s a boy, Daddy,” she informed him. “Boys are gross.”

Jim lifted her off his feet and on to the ground to twirl her under his arm. “I’m a boy,” he pointed out. “Am I gross?”

“You’re not a boy,” she pointed out, “you’re a daddy.”
He nodded, sagely, as if coming to deep understanding. “Ahhhh… so then it’s okay if I do… this?”

Swiftly, he swept her up off the ground and into his arms, planting a loud, sloppy kiss on her cheek.

“Daddy, ew!” she squeaked, wiping her cheek off, but she didn’t squirm to be put down.

So he adjusted his grip and continued to dance, his feet stepping around the floor, Cece’s dangling somewhere near his hips, her face pressed into his collar.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans