- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Oh, what's this? An update? Yup, it is, as promised and it's the date we've all been waiting for. If you haven't been around much this weekend, make sure to read chapter 9 first, as I've been updating fairly quickly.

Same disclaimers apply.

Once they were out of the vicinity of her apartment complex, Jim was able to relax. He really liked Pam, but having her ex around was making things difficult. He thought for sure that if Pam didn’t diffuse the situation tonight, Roy would have decked him. And what had she meant when she said Roy had made a “big romantic gesture?” He had to stop doing this. He was on a date with Pam, something he had wanted since the day she started working with him. “Stop thinking about Roy,” He thought to himself, “Get your head in the game. Oh, god. Am I giving myself a pep talk?”

Despite their delay, they had made their reservation on time. The hostess showed them to a small table for two in the corner. They sat across from each other and Jim couldn’t notice how even more beautiful Pam looked in the dim candlelight of the restaurant. He took a few seconds to admire the view across the table.

“What?” Pam questioned with a smile, “I can’t have anything in my teeth already, can I?”

Jim let out a little laugh at how incredibly adorable she was. “No, nothing in your teeth,” he answered, “You look beautiful and I can’t stop staring.”

He was sure he saw a blush spread across Pam’s cheeks. “Thanks, you don’t look so bad yourself, Halpert.”

It was Jim’s turn to blush, but he quickly recovered when the waiter arrived to take their drink orders.

Their flirty back and forth continued throughout appetizers and their main course. There was an exchange of embarrassing childhood stories, including the time when he was 13 and Tom and Pete locked him in the closet with the cute girl down the street and told him they wouldn’t let him out until he kissed her. Jim was so nervous, he threw up.

“No way,” Pam exclaimed, a look of disbelief on her face, “I don’t believe it! You’re making it up!”

“Why would I make that up?” Jim face was flushed red, a combination of the wine they were sharing and embarrassment.

“I don’t know why you would make that up,” she replied, “But I don’t believe it. There is no way you were ever bad with the ladies, Mr. Sweep Me off My Feet.”

“Well believe it, Beesly. I was a mess with girls,” he was blushing even more now, “I was tall and all limbs, tripping over my own feet.”

This elicited a small giggle from Pam before Jim continued. “And are you saying I’ve swept you off your feet?”

“Oh, no,” Pam said with a laugh, “I’m just saying you seem like the type to sweep a girl off her feet.”

“Right,” Jim said rolling his eyes, “What about you, any childhood romantic misadventures?”

“Okay, I was six,” she started.

“Wow, six, huh? You started young.”

“Shut up. Do you want me to tell this or not?”

“I’m sorry, please, continue.”

“So anyway, as I was saying,” Pam continued, already blushing, “I was six and the girl down the comes to my house and told me her older brother built a fort in their shed and wanted me to come see it. I walk with her to their house and head to the shed and out jumps their cousin, I think his name was Robert, and he kissed me on the mouth! I was so mortified, I ran home crying to my mom.”

Jim was full on laughing now. “Don’t laugh at me,” she exclaimed, “It was traumatizing.”

“I’m sure it was. I can’t blame the guy for wanting to kiss you, though.” And with that, Jim leaned across the table and kissed her softly on the lips.

Jim looked around the restaurant to make sure no one noticed his impromptu public display of affection. “So, uhh, let’s get dessert,” he said, clearing his throat.

They decided to share a chocolate mousse for dessert and continued to talk long after it had been finished. It wasn’t until the restaurant staff began to clean up the tables around, stacking chairs, that they realized they should probably head out.

Jim paid the check and took Pam’s hand as they left the restaurant. When they were just outside the door, he looked around to make sure they were alone. Confirming they were, he pulled her close and lowered his lips to hers, kissing her softly at first and then with increased intensity. They kissed for several minutes and it quickly could have turned into a full on make out session if Jim didn’t pull back.

“Wow,” he sighed breathlessly.

“Yeah,” was all the reply Pam could muster.

Jim couldn’t put his finger on it, but something about that kiss was different from the others they had shared. Maybe it was the wine or the romantic atmosphere. Maybe it was because it was nearing the end of their first date and they both knew they were on the cusp of something great.

“I don’t want to go home,” Pam spoke first, “Take me back to your place.”

“Woah, Beesly,” Jim replied with a chuckle, “Moving a little fast, don’t you think?”

She swatted his arm as she spoke. “Not like that, you dork. I just don’t want this night to end. Plus, I really don’t want to go back to my place and deal with you know who. You’re the one who told me that nothing in Scranton is open past 8 so let’s hang out at your place until I’m sure Roy has passed out, then you can take me home.”

“So, you’re not expecting me to put out?”

“Nope,” she replied with a smile.

“Well, that’s a good thing because my roommate Mark is home, so…”

Pam silenced him with a quick kiss. “Let’s go.”

They arrived at Jim’s condo to find Mark gone. A note indicating he had gone to Poor Richard’s with some friends from work. Jim was mortified when Pam read what Mark had written at the bottom of the note. “P.S.- Please get some tonight. It’s been a while and you’re starting to get cranky.”

“Yeah, he’s not the most subtle guy,” Jim spoke, quickly crumpling the note and throwing it in the trash, “But, he’s a good roommate.”

When they discovered there wasn’t anything good on television, Pam suggested Jim plug in his iPod and they could just talk. Talking quickly led to kissing, which escalated until Pam was under Jim on his couch as he alternated between deep kisses and lightly sucking on her neck.

He knew that if he didn’t pull back now, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself. “Hey,” he said, pulling himself away from Pam, “We should probably slow down.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Pam said, breathing heavily. Her lips were red and swollen from his kisses.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying it,” he said as he sat up and put his arm around her, “But, I really like you and I want to make this work.”

“I know, me too,” she sighed, “Let’s just talk. Tell me a story about Dwight.”

“Mentioning Dwight is one way to take the wind out of my sails,” Jim laughed. He proceeded to tell her about the time he paid everyone in the office to call Dwight Dwayne all day. He was about done with the story when he felt Pam’s head drop softly onto his shoulder. He looked down to see that she had fallen asleep. He couldn’t help but let a small smile creep across his face. There was no more perfect moment than this one. He had briefly considered resting his head against the back of the couch and falling asleep himself, but rejected it at the thought of how sore they would both be in the morning if they slept like this all night. He glanced at the clock, it was 11 already and they had work in morning. Surely, Roy should be passed out by now.

“Hey,” Jim whispered softly in Pam’s ear.

“Oh,” she woke up slowly.

“I should get you home.”

“Sorry,” she said sheepishly.

“That’s fine,” Jim said, still smiling.

Jim insisted on walking Pam to her door despite her concerns about Roy. She pointed out his truck in the parking lot so they knew he was home, but when they were outside her door, it was dead quiet.

“Sounds like he’s asleep,” Pam said embracing Jim in a full hug.

“Good, then I can do this.” Jim bent his head and kissed her.

“I had fun tonight,” he said pulling back.

“Me, too,” Pam said smiling, “I’ll see you tomorrow and maybe we can make plans for this weekend.”

“Absolutely.”

“Oh, and you’ll get to meet my mom,” Pam added, “She’s coming to visit tomorrow and wanted to meet me at work for some strange reason.”

“Cool, I can’t wait to meet her.”

“Goodnight, Jim.”

“Night, Pam.”

Jim waited while Pam let herself into her apartment and then headed to his car. “Not a bad night,” he said aloud to himself.

Chapter End Notes:
What did you think? Was their date all you expected? Tell me with a review

Oh, and Pam's story about the boy jumping out of the shed and kissing her? Yup, all mine... it was horrible!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans