- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you're still with me. I am so very sorry for the delay in updating. Real life got in the way when my hours got increased at work and then my laptop had to go in for repair.

Same disclaimers apply.

Just as Pam slammed her desk phone down in frustration, Jim walked into the office.

“Whoa, Beesly, it’s only Monday. Don’t take it out on the phones,” he joked, “Good morning, by the way. What did Michael do now?”

“Good morning,” she sighed, “No, it’s not Michael this time. It’s stupid, really. I went to Ikea over the weekend to get a new television stand. I know I paid extra to have it delivered already assembled, but when it was delivered this morning it was still in the box. The delivery guy said there was nothing about assembly on the delivery sheet and to take it up with the store. So, that was the store I was hanging up on because they said they have no record of me paying for assembly.”

Jim just stood there staring at her. “Do I have something on my face,” she thought to herself before speaking up, “Hello? Jim, you with me?”

“Oh, sorry, yeah,” he chuckled, “I just couldn’t believe how fast you were talking. Did you even breathe? Have you been hanging out with Kelly.”

“I hate you,” she said, with a coy smile, “Seriously, this isn’t funny. I am terrible at that kind of stuff and I’m just really frustrated.”

“You’re bad at reading instructions and using a screwdriver?” he asked.

“I think it’s slightly more complicated than that,” she replied, “Besides, I’ve never seen you do anything handy.”

“I’ll have you know, I’m very handy,” he responded quickly, “In fact, I put my desk chair together all by myself. I‘m very good with my tools.”

Pam giggled while she figured out what to say next. This was how their days were spent, bantering back and forth, joking in a subtly, flirty way without really acknowledging what was going on between the two of them.

“Alright, then, Jim ‘The Tool man’ Halpert, why don’t you come over and show me how handy you are?” she said in a flirty tone that she did not intend.

“Oh my God,’ she said to herself, “What is wrong with me? Why would I say that?’ “I, umm, I just meant,” she started to respond before she was cut off by Jim.

“Did you just reference Home Improvement?” Jim quipped, effectively cutting the tension, “I’ll help you, though, sure, of course, with your TV stand, but you’ll have to pay me.”

Pam was pretty sure that despite Jim’s brush off of her double meaning, he was blushing. “Oh, really?” she questioned, “And what is the going rate for an amateur handyman like yourself?”

“Oh, you know,” he replied, “Unlimited pizza and beer. And of course, you have to let me watch TV after the stand is assembled, you know, to make sure it’s put together correctly.”

“I think you have a deal,” she said with a huge grin, “But, I reserve the right to withhold the beer until after the job is done. I don’t need you getting drunk and messing everything up.”

“Last I checked, you’re the one who can’t handle her alcohol,” he replied quickly.

Pam wasn’t sure how to respond. Jim was clearly referring to the Dundies a few weeks ago. They hadn’t talked about it at all, including the kiss she had drunkenly planted on his lips.

“What I meant was, I’d have to check with my union rep about you withholding payment,” he spoke, interrupting her train of thought, “But, I think it should be fine. Just tell me where and when, Beesly.”

“Thanks, I really appreciate it,” Pam replied, “Let’s say 6:30. I’ll write down my address for you before you leave.”

“Not a problem. Sounds good,” he stated as he grabbed a few jelly beans and head to his desk.

Pam watched Jim sit down and begin his work day with a huge smile on her face. She had known since she met him that he was a nice guy, but there was something about the way he so easily offered to help her that was beyond being a good friend. Pam also couldn’t ignore the butterflies in her stomach at the though of spending the evening with Jim.

*************************************************

The day flew by for Jim. The excitement he felt was enough to make the day pass in a quick blur. He knew she had said during their non-date at Cuginos that she was enjoying being single, but there were so many signs that she felt the same way he did. There was their near constant flirty banter, the way he would catch her looking at him occasionally, and of course, the kiss. He knew there was nothing special about the way she kissed him, it was the equivalent of the kiss Dana Andrews planted on him during a game of freeze tag in the fifth grade. It was the way he felt after she kissed him and he knew that deep down she felt it, too. He hadn’t had the nerve to bring it up with her in the days following the Dundies, fearful that she wouldn’t remember or brush it off as a drunken mistake.

At 6:28, Jim knocked on the door to Pam’s apartment wearing a pair of loose fitting jeans, a gray long sleeve t-shirt and his lucky black baseball hat. He had never felt like more of a girl in his life getting ready and must have tried on 10 different outfits before settling on his current ensemble.

“Hey,” Pam greeted him as she opened the door wearing a pair of well worn jeans and a long sleeve pink shirt, her hair out of its usual barrette, “Come on in.”

“Hi,” he responded, struggling to keep it together. He always thought she looked beautiful in her work attire, but there was something about seeing this other side of her that was driving him wild. He ached to run his fingers through her hair.

“So, there’s the box,” she said gesturing to an unopened box in the corner of the room, “I wasn’t sure what type of beer you liked, so I just got Yuengling because that’s what I like, hope that’s okay.”

“Uh, yeah, that’s fine,” he responded. He didn’t know how he was going to get through this night, she was just too damn adorable,

Jim started right away on assembling the TV stand, while Pam ordered their pizza. They agreed on a pepper and pepperoni pizza after Pam had convinced him her favorite toppings were pineapples and sardines, together. They kept their conversation light as Jim worked, mostly talking about how insane Michael is or coming up with ideas for pranks against Dwight.

Jim had just finished the television stand when the pizza arrived. While Pam paid, he moved her TV and cable box to their new home and began flipping through the channels.

“Just have to watch a little TV to make sure I did my job correctly,” Jim joked as Pam set the pizza down on the coffee table with paper plates and a beer for each of them.

“I think you could only get an accurate check with extended viewing,” she replied, “How about a movie? It’s only 7:15.”

“The customer is always right, Beesly,” he grinned, “What movie did you have in mind?”

They ultimately decided on Dazed and Confused, both declaring it was in their top five all time favorite movies. They sat next to each other on the floor, with their backs against the couch, never moving after finishing their pizza. Jim was only half paying attention to the movie, the rest of his energy focusing on Pam. He fell a little more in love with her every time she laughed. There were a few occasions where their hands brushed and he felt a jolt of electricity run through him. He wanted so badly to just entwine his fingers with hers, but not even the four beers he had finished gave him the courage to take that step.

Their conversation was revived after the movie was over, eventually leading to a discussion on Dwight’s almost maniacal need for power.

“I swear,” Jim said as he took another sip of his beer, “He’s just waiting for the day he can fire me for being late all the time.”

“Come on,” Pam replied confused, “You’re never late. At least, you’ve never been late since I’ve started working there, well except, my first day when I was convinced you were going to be a freak.”

“Huh,” Jim realized she was right. Since Pam had started, he was always on time, eager to get to work and see her. She had become his reason to get out of bed.

“Well, I guess before,” he continued, “I was late a lot before.”

Jim couldn’t help but think that this was his chance to tell her how he felt. He knew he would look crazy if he told her she was the reason he got out of bed in the morning so he struggled to get it just right. He was looking her dead in the eyes and she right back, with eager anticipation. He was pretty sure she had an idea of what was about to come.

“Pam, I, umm,” he started, but before he could finish, there was knock on the door.

“Hold that thought, Halpert,” Pam said, standing up and heading to the door, “It’s probably just my neighbor. She’s this little old lady who is constantly complaining that my TV is too loud.”

Jim watched as she slowly opened the door, trying to get himself together. He did not want to sound like a bumbling idiot when he finally told Pam how he felt. He was suddenly snapped out of his thoughts when Pam answered the door.

“Roy?” he heard Pam ask, “What are you doing here?”

Chapter End Notes:
Don't throw garbage at me! /Pam How boring would this story be if I made it easy for them?

Oh, and Yuengling is a real beer, brewed in PA. Don't forget to review!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans