- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
this is where the adventure begins... Also, we learn more about the Doctor, Rory and Amy..
‘So, what’s up with you and Lanky?’ asked Amelia, walking into the room where Pam was changing.

‘Excuse me?’

‘I don’t know… It’s just that it seemed that if we’d arrived two minutes earlier, we would’ve found the pair of you in an awkward moment, that’s all.’

‘Well, Amelia—‘

‘Call me Amy, please.’

‘Right, sorry… Amy, it’s a little complicated… And kind of a long story.’

‘Hey, we have all the time in the world…’said Amy.


***

‘So, you guys just travel the Universe and stuff?’ asked Jim, resting against the control panel. The Doctor smiled at him and nodded.

‘And time, don’t forget time!’ he added.

‘It’s kind of dangerous sometimes, but I’m a nurse, so…’ said Rory. ‘We do have weird and great adventures.. It is rather dangerous for us, but the Doctor can regenerate…’

‘What is that?’
‘Oh, interesting fact about Time Lords – that’s the name of my species - , we don’t really like to die, so in a way of cheating death, we regenerate and become someone else entirely. Of course, same brain and all that, but psychologically and physically different. It’s quite interesting.’

Jim gave a weak smile and walked over to the door. He looked at the small windows as if they were the most interesting things in the whole world. He was still trying to make some sense out of that whole evening. Casino night. Roy and Pam having fun. Talk to Ryan. Talk to Jan. Dwight folding every time he coughed. Roy asked for him to look after Pam. It was all a blur. Images were mixed in his mind. Pam’s voice saying ‘I can’t…’ and telling him he misinterpreted things was stuck in his head. Jim was functioning in basic autopilot.

When Rory came up to talk to him, he didn’t even notice he was near him.

‘Hey, are you all right? You seem a little shaky.’ He said. His voice was very kind and Jim knew that he was serious about the nurse thing.

‘Hm, yeah… I’m, uh, I’m ok.’

‘What’s up with you and Pam?’ he asked, looking up.

Jim chuckled a little. It was funny, because these people were completely new to the situation, so he could say anything… But he said the truth, even though it made him a jerk that came onto engaged women.

‘I’m in love with her and I told her tonight. But she’s engaged.. Has been for the past three years… It doesn’t matter, anyway, because I’m moving to Stamford. I just needed to tell her.’ He said, looking down at his shoes.

‘Oh… Right. Yeah, that does sound complicated.’ Rory said, smiling. Jim nodded, grinning as well.

‘Okay, enough about me and my boring, suburban life… What’s up with this Doctor guy? That’s his name?’

‘We don’t actually know his name… The guy is almost a thousand years old, I’m not really sure he knows his name anymore…’ Rory laughed. Jim went along. It was nice having some one to talk to and Rory Williams-Pond seemed good enough, and funny. ‘Amy adores him, so I kind of followed her here after our wedding. It’s nice, having adventures and saving people. Takes your mind off things like electric bills and jobs…’

‘Yeah, I could use a little taking my mind off things…’

‘So! Rory Pond! Where do we want to go?’ asked the Doctor, yelling from the centre of the well-lit panel room. Jim was about to call it the bridge, but he though it was too nerdy of him to know the names of the parts of a space ship. Even if it was a blue-box-shaped one.

‘No idea. Jim?’

Both men were looking at his direction. He had no idea where he wanted to go. Suddenly he thought of art. Pam loved art. Maybe they could meet some old artist like DaVinci or Michelangelo?

‘We could, maybe, go see some art stuff? I don’t know…’

‘Oh, yes… Van Gogh is nice, but we’ve met him already, it would be awkward to go again…’ said the Doctor. Rory gave him a weird look. ‘Oh, you weren’t there… It was after the time you died, remember?’

‘Right, yeah… All right.’

‘What?’ asked Jim, puzzled.

‘Oh, never mind that… It was literally a long time ago. Actually, it happened in the future, but it doesn’t matter anymore. Ha.’ Said the Doctor, clearly amused by Jim’s confusion. ‘How about… France? End of the nineteenth century? Ah! Paul Cezánne! The father of modern art… He took Paris with an apple!’ said the Doctor, very quickly. It was difficult keeping up with him, but Jim tried.

The Doctor pressed some buttons and moved some handles. He had Jim and Rory do the same and then the TARDIS was moving weirdly through time and space. Jim Halpert knew he’d never get the hang of it.

***

‘Where are we going?’ asked Amy when she and Pam arrived at the main area. Was it a bridge? Control room? Pam never found out.

‘We are going to Paris!’ exclaimed the Doctor, cleared pleased at himself. Jim and Rory were talking about some TV thing while checking some handles and buttons. Pam was happy to see that he was not miserable anymore. She was trying to think of a situation where they could be alone and she could talk to him. Amy was of great help. She gave good advice and was very sympathetic. But now that the Doctor said they were headed to Paris, she couldn’t be more excited.

‘Really? When?’

‘Somewhere in the end of the nineteenth century…’ he answered.

‘Wait! Paris? Are we visiting an artist? Monet? Renoir?’ Pam asked and she knew they could tell how excited she was.

‘Cezánne.’ The Doctor said, smiling. ‘Father of Modern Art. Jim gave me the idea of visiting an artist and he popped in my head. Great, isn’t it?’

Pam looked at Jim talking. Even upset, he thought about what she wanted to do and where she would like to go. Oh, how could she even choose Roy over how much she loved Jim? She had loved him for a long time now and only chose to ignore it because it was just a co-worker attraction thing… But now she was certain. It was love. And he loved her back. It was crazy! He was tall and handsome and funny, and he could have any woman he wanted. Pam was just a receptionist. With her curly blond hair and her lifeless cardigans, how could he notice her?

‘Yeah, it is amazing.’ She said, her eyes filling up with tears. She wiped them off and smiled.

***

The TARDIS landed. The group, or gang, as the Doctor began to call them, left the space ship to find themselves in an alley facing a street really close to the Eiffel Tower.
‘At least we landed at the place… What about the time?’ Amy said, with a smirk.
The Doctor looked at his golden wristwatch again and nodded. ‘Yes! Paris, 1871!’ he said.
‘Good… Now, where to?’ Jim asked.

***

They were walking in the garden behind the Tower, looking for Cezánne.

‘Where can he be? I mean, what’s he working on now?’ asked Amy, looking over her shoulder, trying to figure out where the artist could be.

‘Pam, you are the art girl… Do you know?’ asked Jim. He wasn’t looking at her, though, but only the fact that he has spoken to her made Pam feel a little better.

‘Erm… I think, if I recall correctly, he is between The Black Marble Clock and A Modern Olympia…’ she said.

‘Yes… The war has just finished and he and his mistress just came back to Paris…’ informed the Doctor. ‘In 1872, their son is born and they move away… So we’re right on time!’ he smiled.

‘But how will we find him?’ asked Rory, looking suspicious.

‘Don’t worry… Enjoy Paris… Come on!’ said the Doctor, hopping in front of the group and walking excitedly. They all shrugged and went along.

As the ‘gang’ walked along the [river], some people passed them by, whispering and talking very weirdly. Everyone, in fact, was acting in a suspicious manner on the streets.

‘How can we understand what people say? I mean, I don’t really remember my high school French, you know?’ asked Pam, shyly, while walking alongside Amy.

Amy smiled. ‘The TARDIS translates everything. You can go to any planet and you’ll understand everything. And they’ll understand you.’

‘Wow, that is seriously cool.’ Said Pam, giving a small grin.

‘Yes, the TARDIS is cool.’ Said the Doctor, who was walking in front of the group, followed by Jim and Rory, who were discussing planets and space.

‘Yeah…’ added Jim, joining in the conversation. He seemed to have forgotten everything from the night before. ‘Like that bowtie. That is really cool, Doctor.’ He gave that typical Jim-smirk that was particularly saved up for mocking situations.

‘Thank you! I think so too! Bowties are coo!’ said the Doctor, excitedly.

Rory laughed.

‘I think he was mocking you, Doctor.’ He said.

‘Sorry, Doc… I do that sometimes…’ said Jim, scratching the back of his neck.

The Doctor grinned.

‘You’re funny.’ He stated. ‘Oh, here it is!’

They were in front of an art supply store. It was very tiny and blue. Pam’s eyes sparkled as she looked at it. It had everything. Oil pastels, watercolors, oil paints, brushes, and canvases.

‘Oh my God!’ she said, putting her hands in front of her mouth in awe.

Jim looked at her, maybe for the first time since the parking lot, and smiled tenderly. He still loved her, more every minute.

‘Let’s go in, shall we? This is one of the most important art supply shops in Paris, so I suppose they’ll help us find Cezánne… Or even Renoir!’

The Doctor went in and was followed by Amy and Rory.

Pam and Jim stood outside. She was too marveled to go in and he was still gazing at her. As soon as she noticed it, Pam looked away from a beautiful set of oil pastels in the window and looked at him.

‘Jim…’ she said. He nodded.

‘You don’t have to say anything… I’m sorry. I was stupid and I shouldn’t have told you that. It wasn’t my place and I blew everything…’ he said. Pam felt her heart drop and the sudden urge to yell and tell him that she did feel the same way and the only reason why she said she couldn’t was because of Roy. But instead, she looked down, suddenly finding her shoes really interesting.

‘I… I don’t…’ she whispered.

‘Seriously. My fault. I misinterpreted things… And I didn’t really mean to say that in the first place…’ he admitted, staring at his hands.

Pam looked up while turning her engagement ring on her finger, like she always did when she was nervous.

‘W-what do you mean?’

‘Well, I wasn’t planning on telling you that, what with the wedding in 3 weeks and all… I was going to tell that I’m transferring to Stamford…’he said.

Pam’s eyes were wide now and she felt tears coming, again.

‘You’re transferring?’

‘Pam, come on… You can’t expect me to stay and watch you get married to him. There’s nothing holding me back in Scranton. I have to do this.’ With that, he joined the other three inside the art store. Pam stayed back fighting the stubborn tears that kept flowing. She couldn’t believe he was moving to Stamford. He couldn’t! He was her best friend! She… loved him.

After a while, Pam was able to wipe the tears yet again and went inside.

‘… he’s been acting really strange lately, yes… Always walking around all somber… Not that he was the happiest guy in the world, you know how this artists are… But lately he’s been really weird.’ The clerk was saying when Pam walked in.

‘What do you mean? Any strange purchases?’ asked the Doctor.

‘No, all the same. Just.. I don’t know… He’s talking strangely. Stiffer, somehow.’

‘Thanks, François. That was of great help. And this address too.’ The Doctor said, smiling and walking away.

‘No problem, Minister… Anytime.’

‘Minister?’ Pam asked while they were walking to the address François gave them.

‘The Doctor has this psychic paper that makes people see whatever document of whoever he wants to be… The Minister of Art of Prussia this time, apparently.’ Said Amy with a smirk that Pam came to know as the ‘the-Doctor-does-crazy-and-stupid-things-like-that’ smirk.

‘Well, Pond, I had to be a convincing member of the government and since he probably knows who the Minister of Art of France is, I had to be from another country.’ He said.

‘Also, Prussia is cool.’ Said Jim, smiling. Rory laughed and patted him on the back.

‘I like this guy…’he said.



They had been walking for about half an hour when the Doctor pointed at a blue two-story house. It had one of those typical French gardens and looked very quirky and pretty at the same time.

‘Let’s knock. Also, for the new ones, if I say run, you run. Don’t ask, don’t think, basically, run.’ The Doctor said, seriously. ‘I can’t help but feel that something is going on in here. Not the good ‘I’m-about-to-meet-a-Queen’ kind of feeling, but the ‘something-really-really-reeeally-bad-is-about-to-happen’ kind.

‘Okay, stop rambling, just knock.’ Said Amy, annoyed. She did that a lot with the Doctor.

He nodded and pressed the doorbell.

A woman with dead eyes opened the door. She had light brown hair and hazel eyes. ‘Yes?’ she asked.

‘I’m looking for Paul Cezánne. Is he there?’ the Doctor asked, smiling gently. ‘We are great admirers of his art, you see, and my friend here…’ he said, pulling Pam ‘… would absolutely love to become his apprentice!’

Jim stared at him with wide eyes. The type of stare that said ‘what-the-eff-are-you-doing-you-crazy-alien?’. Pam liked that… It meant that he cared. And she wanted to get through to him.

‘I am sorry. He is not receiving guests. Go away now.’ She said, closing the door.

‘Rude!’ said Amy, crossing her arms.

‘Was it just me or did she sound kind of… robotic to you?’ said Rory.

‘What the hell were you doing, risking Pam like that?’ cried Jim.

‘Okay, everybody. Calm down.’ The Doctor said. ‘I think you’re right, Rory… There is something rather roboticy mechanicy about her. Weird. Magnificent! And Jim, I wasn’t risking Pam… I was just trying to infiltrate!’

‘By risking Pam!’

‘Jim, it’s alright. I’d love to meet Cezánne…’

‘It’s not all right! For what I hear, every time you stop somewhere with the TARDIS, something goes wrong and this time I don’t think will be an exception. What’s more, that lady was all robotic and weird and she looked dead. Whatever is going on in this house, it’s not good and I will not let you risk Pam’s life to figure it out!’ he said, angrily.

‘Okay. I hear you. And I think you’re right. But I want you to believe me, Jim. I won’t let anything happen to Pam. She’ll be safe. I promise.’

Jim looked at the Doctor. They stared at each other for about three minutes before the human gave up, nodded and agreed.
Pam looked at Jim lovingly.

‘Are you okay with this, Pam? Being used as a bait?’ he asked.

‘Hm… Well, if the Doctor promises that I won’t be endangered, I guess I can trust him… Right, Amy?’

Amy nodded.

‘It’s all right, Jim. She’ll be safe. However crazy he is, I trust the Doctor.’ Agreed Rory, gazing at Amy.

‘All right! Magnificent! Let us see what’s happening here!’ exclaimed the Doctor, excitedly. He had a huge grin on his face and his eyes seemed to be far away, thinking thoughts that the other four could never even fathom. ‘How about giving it another try, eh?’ so he rang the doorbell again. The woman answered again.

‘Ah, you again.’ She said, trying to sound happy, but giving the same robotic monotone from before. ‘Cezánne is looking for an apprentice and she will be perfect.’

The ‘gang’ was in awe. Now it seemed even more suspicious.

‘Thank you for the offer, can you join us now?’ she asked.

‘Hm… S-sure…’ said Pam, shyly. ‘M-my name is… Pamela Beesly.’

‘Bonjour, mademoiselle. I am Claudine Bonfoiaunt, the housekeeper.’ She smiled mechanically. ‘Follow me, please.’

She opened the doorway for Pam, who stepped in. Jim held her wrist.

‘Where are you taking her and what about us?’

Madame Bonfoiaunt smiled.

‘I’ll take her to the master and you will be on your way. Say your goodbyes now.’ Saying that, she pulled Pam inside and closed the door.

‘Pam! Pam! Give her back!’ he yelled, banging on the door.

Rory held him back.

‘We’ll get her! We’ll get her!’



When Pam was pulled inside the house, what she was expecting was not what she saw. It was a very neat house, well-decorated, but there was no signal of art. No paintings, no brushes, no unfinished work and, actually, no sign of life whatsoever.

‘Does anyone even live here?’

‘Let’s go to the cellar, shall we?’ again, Madame Bonfoiaunt pulled her by the wrist, dragging her down a rather scary stairwell.

‘What’s in there?’

‘Master is there. He wants you, Miss Beesly.’
‘You mean Monsieur Cezánne?’

‘Master.’ The housekeeper nodded.

A tall man was sitting on a chair, gazing at nowhere in particular. He had glasses on and there was a bucket full of apples sitting next to him.

‘Sir, Miss Beesly is here. The new apprentice.’

‘Hello… sit.’
Chapter End Notes:
Liked it? please review! Hate it? please tell me how I can make it better... Thanks! See you next time!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans