- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Spoilers through “Christmas Wishes”

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
From: Barbara Tuchman/Acquisitions Editor

To: Bob Errington/ Editor in Chief, Scholastic Publishing Group

RE: Paper, Porcupines, and Possibilities

At your request, I visited the Scranton offices of Dunder-Mifflin yesterday to try and speak with Jim Halpert (note the correct spelling) regarding some of the issues you encountered in trying to call him. I have to say, you were spot on regarding some of the more "unusual" aspects of the behavior in that office.

When I walked in the office in the late afternoon, I realized they were well into their annual Xmas party. Given what I remember of our own parties (especially when we first started out), I was prepared for some drinking, loud music, etc, but I was NOT prepared for what I actually witnessed (see examples below):

1) My first encounter with a DM employee was with a porcupine that was apparently manning the reception desk and eating a carrot. I kid you not-a real, live, honest-to-God porcupine named "Henrietta". It belongs to Dwight Schrute, that odd fellow I told you about a couple of weeks ago who had the one copy of the book we were looking for. No idea of what it was doing there, but if porcupines can be called cute, this one was adorable.

2) Speaking of Mr. Shrute, he was walking around with a stencil on his forehead that said “Idiot” and wanted to know if I wanted to help him paint a sign on his car. I declined.

3) Now on to business. First, despite the odd behaviors I saw, I still think we should pursue a contract with Dunder-Mifflin. Yes, they are high-spirited and a bit loony, but their products are good, prices are competitive, and I like doing business with a smaller firm. As far as Jim Halpert not getting back to you, he and his wife Pam just had their second child, so I think we can give him till after the holidays to set up a meeting with us.

4) Finally, I think we have a real possibility for who might have written the “The Ultimate Guide to Throwing A Garden Party.” The HR rep at D-M, a fellow named Toby, is apparently an aspiring novelist and is writing a detective novel with a hero named “Chad Flenderman”. I agreed to let him send me a couple of sample chapters, just on the off chance that he might be our elusive James Trickington.

I’ll set up the visit with Jim Halpert and check more on our novelist right after the holiday.

PS. By the way, I saved the weirdest thing for last. As if finding a porcupine was not unusual enough, did you know that D-M was the subject of a long-filming documentary? There was actually a camera and sound crew present when I was there (they did not film me as I declined permission), and they have been filming for something like 8 years. Bizarre, right?

But, here’s the coolest thing. The producer (named Greg Daniel or Daniels) said he would be open to having a book version of the documentary come out and offered to show me some of their footage so I could see how “amazing” (his words) some of the events there have been. I’ll set that up after the holidays as well.
Chapter End Notes:
Author’s Note:

Thanks again to Vamperic Blood and to all for reading and reviewing


Labhub is the author of 3 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans