- Text Size +
.

DISCLAIMER: I don’t own anything.

Celebrate good times


It was during a quiet conversation, one night during the summer when they huddled together in the park under the star filled sky that the idea struck her. They had been talking about years to come, what they hoped their lives would be like when they were graying and wrinkled and clinging to these very memories they were in the midst of creating. The thought that she needed to mark his thirtieth birthday with flair came to her as he gently caressed her side while they sat under the stars, listening to the sounds of silence and their breathing.

The actual plans' motion did not take a degree in rocket science or any great pain to prepare. She simply enlisted the help of his sister to get him out of the apartment early in the morning, leaving out specific details as to what exactly the plan had been - more in an effort to spare the girl the mental image than it was that she didn’t trust Larissa to keep a secret.

She arrived in Scranton early in the morning and waited for his car to pull away before she parked closer to their apartment and snuck inside. She hung a banner that she had made, two pictures of them – one taken five years before, friends smiling at the camera during the first Christmas party and the other their engagement picture, her left hand firmly resting on her opposite shoulder, his face centimeters from hers, marking one of the happiest days of her life to date - bookended the sentiment that wished him a happy thirtieth birthday.

With one of his gifts set on the kitchen counter, she sighed at the pile of dishes that were in the sink, deciding to tackle them later, noticing that the sight hadn’t made her indignant like it once had when she was living a different life. She knew that Jim would get to them eventually.

Taking his second gift with her to the bedroom, she placed it next to her on the nightstand as she carefully wrapped herself in the blankets, complete with a big red bow in the center of her body. She waited, anticipated the text message that would say he was on his way back home, which arrived moments before she heard the keys in the doorknob.

As she listened to his keys hit the kitchen table and his laughter fill the air, she worried briefly about her choice to not get him a card. She shook the dread off quickly, reminding herself that what she needed to say could not be measured through Hallmark or any other greeting card. She wanted to say it aloud, for him to hear the inflection of her voice and to see the meaning in her eyes.

She felt herself blush under his gaze as he stood in the doorway shaking his head disbelievingly as he held the gift she left for him in the kitchen.

“Wow,” he breathed out. “You are …” his voice trailed as he grinned.

“Happy birthday,” she whispered, surprised by her sudden shyness.

“Wow,” he said, gaping once again, his eyes roaming the length of her covered body.

“Surprise,” she giggled.

“Unbelievable,” he said above a whisper.

“Well, are you just going to stand there?” she said, raising her eyebrows.

“What? Oh, no, I uh,” he shook his head, laughed at himself as he placed the jar on the nightstand and laid himself next to her, his lips on hers before she could catch her breath.

Her hands raked through his hair slowly as they kissed. She could swear nothing had ever felt as incredible.

He pulled back, leaning on his side, and gingerly picked the bow from the blanket, holding it in his hand. “You are the best gift I could have ever asked for.”

“What about the pickles?” she asked, laughter hitting the back of her throat as she nudged her head toward the nightstand.

“Only you would do something like that … you’re so … just. I can’t even form a sentence.”

“So, I’ve officially left you speechless then.”

“Yes,” he laughed.

“Then the plan worked.”

“Was my sister spilling coffee on my shirt part of the plan?”

“Yep. How else was I going to get you back home?”

He laughed, shook his head in wonder as he stared down to her. “You’re brilliant,” he said, kissing her shoulder as he slowly unraveled the blanket. “Absolutely, just, the absolute best.” He rested his cheek next to hers for a moment before he trailed kisses along her collar bone and whispered, “This is the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

“Oh yeah?” she asked coyly. “It’s not even noon yet.”

“Well,” he said, a glint in his smiling eyes, his hand roaming over the blanket. “I’m assuming you are naked underneath this. So, yes,” he dipped his head down, sweeping a kiss to her lips. “My fiancé who I haven’t seen in days, wrapped in a blanket in our bed does equal the best birthday ever.”

She drew her index finger down the bridge of his nose softly. “Good, I’m glad.”

“I’m so happy you’re here.”

She grinned, cupped his chin, her voice in a hush as she spoke. “There is no other place I’d rather be than here with you. Not just today, but every other day.” She paused, closed her eyes and found the right combination of words, taking a deep breath before she smiled and said, “I didn’t get you a card, because I just wanted to tell you. Lately, I keep thinking about what you said on our first date. How on your worst day, all it takes is a smile from me to make you feel like nothing else in the world makes a difference. I know now, what you meant. On the days when I just want to … throw the computer out a window, all I have to do is look at this picture of you smiling at me, and I know that you’re the only thing that matters. Happy Birthday. I love you so much.”

He grinned, his eyes glistening, brushed his finger over the skin on her cheek, his unspoken words shining through his eyes as they closed, their lips meeting languidly.

She pulled back, kissed the tip of his nose before reaching over to her nightstand. “I have a real gift for you too,” she said, handing him a neatly wrapped box.

“Hmm,” he hummed, pushing the palm of his hand into her hip. “You feel pretty real to me.”

She laughed lightly. “Just open it.”

He stared at the contents, picking up the small black rounded objects. “Oh cool, choking hazard.”

She rolled her eyes and grinned. “No,” she emphasized, “It’s the world’s smallest blue tooth. Now we can just stay on the phone all day. You can listen to me yell at the stupid computer for hours on end.”

“Aw, the gift that keeps on giving.”

“Shut up,” she chided, swatting his arm. “Plus, you know. I miss hearing you argue with Dwight.”

“Thank you. This is awesome.”

“You’re welcome. I figured they’d come in handy, with finals coming up, I can work and be with you at the same time.”

“That’s the best gift ever,” he said seriously. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”



**


“Well, fashionably late is better than never,” Betsy said as she greeted them at the front door of the Halpert home.

“Oh, yeah, you know how it is. Women take forever to get ready,” Jim deadpanned, inching away quickly to avoid what would have been a smack to the stomach from Pam.

“Mm-hmm,” Betsy muttered, raising her eyebrows before walking away.

“She’s on to us,” Pam whispered, handing Jim her coat.

“Whatever. We live together. I’m sure they don’t think we just sit around and play patty cake all day.”

“Patty cake? Really?” Pam mocked through hushed laughter as they walked through the hallway toward the kitchen.

“First thing that came to mind. I’m still recovering.”

“Shut up,” she whispered.

He threw his arms around her shoulders, growling in her ear as he kissed her cheek. “You shut up.”

“Okay you two, stop it before I puke,” Larissa said, shooting them an irritated look from across the kitchen.

“Hey, there’s my cohort,” Pam said happily. “Good work, sister.”

“Any time,” Larissa said, giving Pam a high five.

“Betsy, can I do anything to help?” Pam asked, accepting half a piece of bread from Jim with a smile.

“Oh, no dear. Almost ready. Why don’t you kids go watch some television?” Betsy offered. “Jim, Pete and Tom send their regards. They’ll call you later about meeting up one day this week.”

“Okay,” he said, shrugging indifferently as they walked toward the living room. “Something to look forward to,” he said under his breath.

“Stop,” Pam chided. “I’m sure it’ll be lovely.”

“You don’t know those two well enough,” Larissa chimed in from the lounger. “They’re like, certifiable.”

“She’s right,” Jim agreed, pointing his thumb toward Larissa. “They’re borderline caged animals. When you let them loose, watch out.”

Pam laughed, shaking her head. “So, Larissa, how’s school?”

“Eh,” Larissa shrugged. “It's okay, I guess.”

“Yeah, me too. I’m really starting to hate computers,” Pam said. “I can’t wait for it to be over with.”

“I’m sure you’re both doing better than you think you are,” Jim said, his attention focused on Pam. “Are you really having that many issues?”

Pam shrugged. “Well, it’s just that, the other day we had this guest in one of the lectures, and we were showing them our work, and she sort of really nitpicked mine. I know she was being constructive. But I sort of felt like she was being way harsher with me than she was with anyone else. So, I don’t know. I just don’t feel like I’m getting it.”

“Is there anyone you can talk to?” Larissa asked.

“I could try talking to my professor about it. But I’m almost done with the course, so I don’t know how much that’ll actually help,” Pam said with a small frown.

“Well, you could give it more time, see what happens and if it’s still frustrating then ask your instructor for some feedback,” Jim offered.

“Yeah, I’ll give it a few more weeks,” Pam agreed.

“You’ll be fine,” Jim and Larissa said almost in unison.

Pam chuckled, picking at her fingernail. “Thanks,” she smiled warmly.

“Jim,” Betsy called from the kitchen. “Do you have a minute?”

“No,” he said, standing and walking toward the kitchen.

“James, that’s not how you speak to your mother,” Gerald chimed in, walking through the sliding doors from the yard. “Pam, so good to see you. How’s New York?” he asked, giving Pam a light hug.

“It’s good. You know, noisy and crazy.”

“Have you been enjoying the nightlife?” Gerald asked.

“Just once. It was definitely not for me,” Pam said, shaking her head.

“Ah, well. I’m glad to see you’re smart enough not to get mixed up in those wild times. That place can sure swallow you whole,” Gerald said.

“You’re so right about that,” Pam agreed.

“Good good,” Gerald said, hugging her quickly before walking toward the kitchen.

“My dad’s insane,” Larissa laughed.

“No he's not. You and your brother are so much alike, let me tell you,” Pam laughed. “So, what’s going on with you?”

“Nah, not much,” Larissa said. “Can I,” she paused, took a deep breath and continued. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure, anything.”

“How did you know that Jim was the one?”

She smiled at the mere thought. “Well, this is going to make me sound crazy.”

“You fit right in with the rest of us,” Larissa laughed.

“Okay,” Pam shook her head. “So, you’ve been to concerts, right? Something you were like really into that you absolutely had to see or you’d just die?”

“Oh yeah, Justin Timberlake. I love him.”

“You know that feeling, when the walk out onto stage and you just lose it? You start screaming and your heart starts pounding and you get this weird fluttering in your stomach?”

“Yeah, it’s the best feeling ever,” Larissa nodded.

“That’s what it’s like any time he’s anywhere near me, on the phone, in the same room, wherever. I feel like that every time.”

Larissa smiled, her eyes fixed behind Pam’s head toward the door as Jim walked through, a grin set on his face.

“Swiss cheese brain,” he laughed, kissing the top of Pam’s head.

“You are both officially revolting,” Larissa rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, one day it’ll happen to you,” Jim chided. “Time to eat.”

“What? It’s only two. It’s like the early bird special around here,” Larissa complained.

“What is wrong with you today?” Jim asked, winding his arm around his sister’s shoulder.

“Are boys all idiots?”

“Yes,” Pam answered instantly. “They’re all idiots.”

“It’s true. We are,” Jim nodded his arms around both his sister and his fiancé as they walked toward the kitchen and taking seats at the table.

“So, did you guys find a buyer for the house yet?” Pam asked, scooping potatoes and vegetables into her plate.

She looked up curiously when no one answered immediately, cocking her head to the side.

“Uh,” Jim stuttered. “Didn’t you say you were waiting on some offer?”

Gerald nodded slowly, his eyes fixed on Jim. “Yes, we’re waiting on an offer. The longer they take to come out with it though, the less likely they’ll actually be happy about it.”

“Hmm?” Pam hummed curiously.

“They’re just weird people. I don’t even know if we want to sell it to them,” Betsy said, passing the roast toward Jim.

“Oh, okay,” Pam nodded, creasing her brow as she looked around the table, both of his parent’s eyes and Larissa’s fixed on Jim.

“So how about those Eagles. They may win the whole thing this year,” Jim said, raising his eyebrows.

“I agree son. It’s now or never,” Gerald said.

“Pam, how are the wedding plans coming along,” Betsy asked.

“Great, actually. Jim’s been looking into bands. I think I found some bridesmaid dresses that I like. And we have a few venues to look at next month when I’m done with classes.”

“That’s great,” Betsy said with a wide grin. “I’m so thrilled. You tell me if that son of mine isn't pulling his weight.”

“Mom, I’m sitting right here. And I have a name,” Jim said sarcastically.

“Watch that mouth of yours,” Gerald warned.

“I didn’t say anything,” Jim said.

As the three of them squabbled over semantics, Pam noticed the grin on Larissa’s face as she peered down to the cell phone in her lap.

Pam leaned over and whispered, “You’ll have to tell me all about him next time.”

Larissa grinned and nodded. “Definitely. Is it that obvious?”

“Only because it’s pretty close to the same expression as your brother’s.”

“He’s pretty awesome,” Larissa said.

“Good.” Pam grinned, bumping her shoulder into Larissa’s as the two laughed lightly.

“What are you two laughing about,” Jim asked.

“You,” Pam replied, her expression serious.

“Nice," he smirked.

The rest of the conversation flowed from Pam’s courses, to Larissa’s studies, to Jim’s job. By the time dinner was through, she had almost forgotten the awkward moment in during the beginning of their meal. But given a moment of just her and Jim, while Betsy and Gerald fixed dessert, she and Jim sat in the living room once again, flipping channels, curiosity came crawling back.

“Hey,” she asked, leaning in. “What was that whole house buyer thing about? Did I say something wrong?”

“Oh, no no, that’s … it’s just, my dad’s having a hard time giving up the house.”

“Isn’t he the one that decided they wanted to move?” Pam asked.

“Well, it’s sort of a sore subject,” Jim said.

“Okay,” Pam said. “Your sister’s right. You guys are crazy.”

“Speaking of, what’s the deal with my sister?” he asked. “She’s been acting weirder than usual.”

“It’s just guy stuff.”

“What’d she say?” he asked. She could see his defenses heightening.

“Nothing important yet.”

He sighed. “You’ll need to tell me the details as they roll in, you do realize that.”

“Nope.”

He stared at her in shock. “You’d keep something like that from me?”

“Think of it as good practice for when we have a daughter.”

“That’s simple. She won’t be dating until I’m ninety.”

“Oh boy, here we go,” Pam said, shaking her head.

“What? If she looks anything like you, and I’m sure she will, I’m not letting her out of the house until she’s at least fifty five.”

Pam smiled, her voice caught on the sincerity of his tone. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and rested her cheek in the crook of his neck. “You’re too much.”

“I’m serious,” he said, kissing her quickly.

“Well, we should stop talking about it anyway. We’ll jinx it.”

“Definitely don’t want to do that,” he said with a laugh. “So you’ll tell me everything my sister tells you about this guy.”

“Nice try. Smooth, well executed. But no.”

He sighed, settling back into the couch with his arm around her, his finger lazily drawing circles on her bicep. They sat quietly for a few moments as they watched the travel channel display the beauty and serenity of Puerto Rico.

“Looks like a nice place, lots to do,” he said.

She nodded in agreement, about to bring up the house again, needing some sort of real answer. But the lights went out and Betsy walked in carrying a cake, bright blazing candles flickering on top. She watched him close his eyes as he made a wish, inhaled and blew out each candle in one breath. When he opened his eyes, they found hers, and he smiled, kissing her forehead.

Once the cake had been sliced and his gifts had been opened, Betsy pulled Pam aside before she and Jim made their way home for the night.

“I just wanted to tell you, if you need any help with any of the wedding things, just let me know. I had a few thoughts. But only if you want them, of course.”

“That would be great, thank you,” Pam grinned.

“Thank you, Pam.”

“For what?” Pam asked, her head tilting in confusion.

“We really appreciate that you’ve become close to Larissa. She doesn’t have a sister, and she doesn't talk to me about most things. But I’m thrilled that she has you. And Jim too. He’s a different person now, and we truly believe it’s because of you.”

“How so?”

“There’s joy in his eyes now. I know you put it there.”

Pam smiled, her chin trembling slightly, emotion grabbing hold and filling her eyes as the two women hugged.

“We’ll see you for Thanksgiving, then. Good luck with your classes,” Betsy said, patting Pam’s hand as they walked toward the front door.

“I’ll be here. I can make an apple pie,” Pam offered.

“Sounds lovely, dear,” Betsy agreed. “Be safe driving, Jimmy.”

He nodded and took Pam’s hand in his once her coat was on.

“Hey, so what’d you wish for?” she asked as they walked toward the car.

“This,” he said, kissing her slowly as she leaned her back on the passenger door, lifting her left hand in the air. “Exactly this.”


.
Chapter End Notes:
Okay, so I posted back to back. Hope you don't mind! And I hope you liked this one too :)


Deedldee is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Celebrate good times also liked 2197 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Memories Are Made of These. The previous story in the series is A mother always knows.... The next story in the series is Enough.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans