- Text Size +

In another very Jim-centric episode, Pam’s role is quite limited.  However, she still had a few key scenes that offer a little insight into the ever changing dynamic of JAM.  Humor based communication continues to be a connecting thread between Pam and Jim.   Between a playful argument and Pam poking fun at Jim, laughter continues to bring JAM closer together and repair communication lines.  

FNB continues to shine as Pam jumps into the limelight and lightly pranks Jim.  She isn’t the shy, meek receptionist who previously hid behind her desk.  She’s even ready, willing, and able to take on the ace pranker that is Jim. This new Pam continues to surprise and delight all that know her.  

Speaking of Jim, Pam found there is another side to him that can take his job seriously.  She is surprised to see this, but nonetheless intrigued.

In Office Olympics, Pam gave a talking head that praised Jim’s talents, but she was all too aware that his job didn’t give him an opportunity to use his abilities to their fullest.  Seeing him in a leadership role that diverts from pranking and games, causes Pam to see Jim in a different light.  She likes what she sees.  Pam loves Jim for his laid back attitude, but she knows it sometimes holds him back.  Perhaps, she’ll begin to offer a little more encouragement to Jim when it comes to his career.   

Since Local Ad and Branch Wars it’s been argued that Pam hasn’t been accurately reading Jim in terms of emotional needs.  This trend continues, however, she is starting to hone in on his vulnerabilities.  She isn’t as blind to his weaknesses as she’s been since Money.  His kiss really threw her off, but she is starting to see that Jim still needs her assurance and emotional support.    After learning of his birthday plan, she kept a close watch on him all day, while also making sure his safety net of humor remained firmly in place.  Just as Jim took care of her throughout previous seasons, she is returning the favor.   

Jim’s Birthday Party Plan:

Pam is sitting at her desk as she overhears Angela and Jim discuss the need for a birthday cake for Creed.  Jim is a little reluctant given the fact they just had a party of Kelly not too long ago. Angela informs him it’s birthday month and begins rattling off the names everyone who has a birthday coming.  Pam’s head lifts as she gains more interest in the conversation.  She continues to watch as Jim makes his ill-fated suggestion to have “one big shared party,” for birthday month. Pam is likely still watching as Angela pegs Jim with death stare and a disapproving, “What!?” Jim insists it would be more fun and less of a waste of time if there was just one party, but Angela continues to be uncooperative.  She sneers, “I don’t like it” and walks away in a huff.  

Pam is quick to respond as she heads over to Jim’s desk.  Her opinion is already pretty clear before she even speaks.  She’s not a fan of the one party plan.  Furthermore, she’s surprised to see Jim propose such a big change.  It’s not like him to change anything.  She knows he’s a creature of habit in just about every area of his life, especially with anything work related.  She’s not sure how to approach him, but she’s dying to know if he is seriously planning on going through with his idea.  She’s little nervous, as she fidgets with her hands.  She doesn’t want to flat out tell him it’s a horrible idea, in order to spare his feelings and his confidence for that matter.  However, it occurs to her that the only way she can question his intentions is with a lighthearted tone and a touch of humor.

From here on out, the conversation is a concert of double meaning.  Both sides can “hear” beyond the words as they jump into a trademark session of playful banter.  She asks, “Wow, you’re really shaking things up a bit, huh?”  She playfully taps his desk and leans on the corner as a means to put Jim at ease as she subtlety tries to point out his impending mistake.  Jim can she what she’s doing and responds with the same tone, “It’s a pretty good idea, don’t you think?” He can read her disagreement with his plans, but he’s willing to play the game.  Pam can see the sparkle in his eye and knows this is going to be a fun and playful little argument between them.  She plays her next move, “Do you think it’s a good idea?”  Her tone is a little sarcastic but remains playful in her quest to convince him his idea is terrible.  

Her question is another way of asking, “Are you serious?”  She can sense the impending doom of his idea, but the game has already started and she’s curious on how Jim will prove his point. Jim jovially plays along once again, “No . . .,” as he feigns sadness and looks down to emphasize his joke.  He looks up and finishes his answer with a determined smile, “I think it’s a great idea.”  He’s taking on her challenge and Pam couldn’t be happier.  She knows she’s right and it’ll be fun claim her victory later.  It’s the equivalent of Pam watching Jim fix an electrical outlet even though he has no idea how.  She knows he’ll get the shock of his life, while Jim insists he knows what he’s doing.  It’s the classic couple enigma of both sides dying to say “I told you so.”  Pam gives him a thin lipped grin that tells him, “It’s on.”   

She glances at the camera and back him again as she murmurs, “Hmmm,” with lighthearted sarcasm as if saying, “We’ll see,” to both Jim and the camera.  This should be entertaining for the camera to follow.  She figures if Jim insists on riling up a hornets nest she might as well be entertained.

Although, Pam has engaged in some playful banter with Jim, there is another more caring level to her actions.  Her intention wasn’t initially about playing with Jim, but rather stopping him from making a mistake that could lead to humiliation.  She is trying to save him.  However, she knows him well enough to know she can’t just tell him “no,” especially when he seems so determined and excited about his plan.  She can’t just take it away from him, especially after Angela’s piercing response.  Pam is smart enough to know Jim needs her in his corner even if she disagrees with him.  

Bringing attention to his error via humor was an absolutely brilliant move on Pam’s part.   Humor based communication mixed with nonverbal communication brings together two of JAM’s strongest assets.  Instead of crushing Jim’s ambition, she created a challenge, which she knows Jim sometimes can’t resist.  In effect, she is encouraging him to continue to break through his boundaries in a very subtle, yet powerful way. 

Jim with Oscar:

Pam doesn’t appear until the last few seconds of the scene, but her presence adds to the fact that she is taking care of Jim.   She can be seen peering over the partition that separates accounting from the reception area as Oscar “agrees” with Jim’s birthday party plan.  She is watching as Jim and Oscar interact, knowing full well Jim hasn’t found an ally.  She is clearly keeping an eye on him to ascertain her next move.  Her premonition of impending failure is becoming clearer, which means she will need to continue their previous banter while also letting him know she is on his side, no matter what.  

Break Room:

Pam is sitting at one of the break room tables as she overhears Meredith requesting a Devil’s Food cake for the party.  Jim affably agrees, essentially making Meredith’s day.   He sits down beside Pam with two can’s of soda, one for her and one for himself (Awwwww).  Pam can already see the fallout of Jim’s one party plan, in that she knows everybody will have specific personalized requests.  However, Jim remains oblivious to the complications.  Pam already knows he can’t make everybody happy.  There’s a reason why there are separate parties! However, Pam isn’t about to point out this glaring problem.  

Jim is intent on his plan and Pam isn’t going to stop him.  Instead, she continues the playful banter by saying, “Wow, that was easy.”  Her tone is again lighthearted, but there is a touch of sarcasm.  She knows it’s only going to get harder (twss) and eventually fall apart.  She’s silently telling him to hang onto his hat, a storm will hit.  At the same time, she is offering encouragement with the same tactics and motives from the scene at his desk.  Despite the disaster that is likely to ensue, part of Pam wants to see him pull this off.  

Jim picks up on her tone and offers a comparable response, “Yeah, people like me I guess.”  His confidence is clearly up, but it’s also another shot of playful banter rooted in nonverbal communication.  She most likely “heard” him say, “You’ll see.”  Too bad the screwdriver is getting closer and closer to a live wire.  That electrical shock is just around the bend.  Good thing Pam is ready to soften the blow with some well-timed humor. 

Jim’s Announcement

Just as Pam suspected, Jim’s communal party plan completely falls apart.  She looks on as Jim emerges from Michael’s office a little frazzled and completely frustrated.  Even more surprising is the fact that Jim emerges as a leader as he speaks, “Hey everybody. Hi, how you doing? Can I have your attention please? 'Cause we have to talk about this birthday thing.”  She can’t believe what she’s seeing as Jim is exhibiting Michael characteristics.  Pulling a little prank on Jim is simply irresistible.   Pam’s witty humor springs to life with perfect timing as she raises her hand and asks, “Conference room?,“ with a well played serious tone.  Jim spins around to face her, completely falling for her prompt, “Yes, conference room in five minutes …” Pam is undeniable beaming with the fact that she “got” him.  

Michael’s behavior has always been an inside joke between them.  Her prank is perfect in that it pointed out he is enacting his own joke.  It only takes him seconds to realize she is teasing him. He shoots her a look that tells her, “Good one,” as he verbally says, “No. No. We’re gonna solve it right here.” She tilts her head and smiles acknowledging her well-played prank, while communicating on a nonverbal level, “Yup, I got you.”  In fact she hit the bull’s-eye.  She is beside herself with glee and satisfaction.  In all likelihood she’s never gotten him that good.  

Her prank may have been aimed at teasing him, but it also serves the purpose of grounding Jim when everything is spinning out of control.  This scene is very symbolic of Pam’s role in their relationship.  She’s been anchoring him from the start and continues to do so, despite the kiss in Money.  He is in a role that is very different and it’s clear he’s having trouble adjusting.  Pam’s joke brings him back to a level where he is more comfortable.  

She may be amused with seeing his plan fall apart, (she was right and wants to bask in that), but ultimately she is on his side.  She doesn’t want to see him falter too badly and she knows humor will help him find his focus as he deals with disgruntled co-workers.   Helping Jim find his way back to his strengths will help him carry out his new role as leader with more finesse.  Pam sees his potential playing out before her and she is fascinated.  She wants to see what he is capable of, so it’s important that he is grounded.  Humor is at the core of his being and it anchor him enough to deal with the problem at hand with a much calmer demeanor.

Aside from her prank, Pam was amused with Jim’s behavior when in a leadership role.  Part of her prank was poking fun at how seriously Jim was taking his role.  She knew he needed to lighten up in order to handle the situation.  Then again, on another level, she’s never really seen this side of him and she is once intrigued.  He is full of surprises.  FNB can’t help but see what he could be, the same way Jim saw her potential.   Perhaps, she will encourage his potential in the future and maybe even begin to wonder what is holding him back.  

Pam has really only seen Jim as the laid back paper salesman, seemingly content with his boring job.  She’s never seen him in a management role (aside from leading games in The Fire and Office Olympics), which causes her to see he is capable of more than he gives himself credit.  Once she figures out the elements that hold him back, she’ll know what buttons to push. Just as Jim knew exactly what to say and do to make Pam believe in herself in seasons past. It’s time to return the favor.  

The Bottom Line:

Pam is starting to see the book beyond it’s cover.

- - -

JAM Playlist Song:

I’ll Always Be Right There

Artist: Bryan Adams

Album: 18 Til I Die  

- - - 

Questions to Ponder:

1) Does Pam know about Michael’s previous attempt to organize all the birthdays into one party?  

2) Is Pam aware of Jim’s confidence issues?

3) Should Pam encourage Jim’s leadership potential?  If so, how should she proceed?

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



scrantonbranch is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Pam Dichotomy: Season 4 also liked 1626 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Pam Dichotomy. The previous story in the series is The Pam Dichotomy: Season 3.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans