- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This just sort of wrote itself. I honestly don't know where it came from. 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

It was Saturday afternoon and Jim was sitting on his couch watching a basketball game and drinking a beer, when the doorbell rang. Jim was confused, he wasn’t expecting anyone, so he almost didn’t answer the door because it was probably some door to door salesman he had no time for. But he did. He launched himself from the couch and swung open the door. And saw nothing. Something moved below him in his peripheral vision, and his eyes snapped down.


There sat a baby carseat, and a diaper bag. The baby half clutched to a small envelope that had his name scrawled on it. After a minute as he stood there in shock, Jim realized, I couldn't just leave a baby on his front porch. He he should get it inside. He hurried the carrier and diaper bag. He clicked off the the TV and grabbed the envelope from where it now rested on the baby’s chest.

Jim,

I am sorry that I never told you about her. I thought I would be able to do the single mom thing and be a strong independent woman. But I guess that’s not how I was built.

Her name is Ella, I call her Ellie or El usually. She is almost 2 months old.

There are papers for you to sign to set her up to be adopted. Just sign them and then call the social worker to tell her she’s ready to be picked up (the number is on the post-it on the papers).

I fed her just before I left, so she should be okay for a few hours. There’s a bottle in the bag, just warm it up by putting it in a bowl of hot water while pouring more hot water over it, then shake it. There is also some formula, burp cloths, diapers, extra clothes, pajamas, extra blankets, and some toys for her.

I’m sorry I left you with her like this.

~Katy


 

He looked at her. He saw some of her copper hair sticking out of her hat.

“I am glad you got your mother’s beautiful hair.”

She just looked at him with wonder.

What was he going to do?

He called Pam.

“ Hello?”

“Hi Pam, it’s Jim”

“Oh, hi.”

“I need your help. Could you come over?

“Umm. Okay. Care to elaborate?”

“It’s too complicated to explain over the phone.”

“Okay. I’ll be there in about 15 minutes.” There was something in his voice that this was something somewhat serious.

“Sounds good. Just walk in, the door is unlocked.”

He glanced down at El, who had started to scrunch up her face.

“Oh no, nononono”

She let out a scream

“Oh shit”

He undid the buckle on the car seat, and scooped her up. Which resulted in her crying more.

“ Come on baby” he said awkwardly, as he tried to bounce her slightly.

This was unsuccessful.


 

Apparently this went on for 15 minutes because the next thing he knew Pam was standing in front of him.

“Is this a new niece of yours?”

He shook his head and pointed to the letter that was now sitting on the coffee table.

She read it quickly, then looked up at him, “Oh, wow. Is she okay?”

“I don’t know, she’s been crying pretty much since we hung up.”

“Have you checked her diaper?”

“How do I do that?”

Pam took El from him and. She lifted her and smelled, then undid the snaps on the onesie and checked.

“All good.”

She snapped everything back together, rummaged in the diaper bag and pulled out out a small blanket, a bottle, and a pacifier.

She placed the pacifier in El’s mouth and it was almost immediately quiet. She carefully swaddled her and put her in Jim’s arms.

“You are so helpless”

“I am in shock. I was the youngest. I never helped.”

“Not even when Vanessa was little?”

“Nope. I was in college, wasn’t around much to help.”

“I guess that’s fair.” She was now in the kitchen starting to heat water.

“Thank you. You are a lifesaver.”

“So, what are you going to do?”

“I am going to sign the papers I guess.”

“Really?”

“I mean, I can’t keep her. Right?”

She paused.

“You could.”

“I mean I guess it is an option.”

“Do you want to feed her? I’ll give you guidance.”

“Okay”

“Sit down, support her head with the crook of your arm, and rest her legs on your lap.  Good. Now take the pacifier out. Take the bottle and tilt it at about 20 degrees. Great! You are doing it. You can relax a little you know. ”

He did, only slightly.

“So you really think I could do it? The single dad thing?”

“Yeah. I should get home, Roy is waiting for me. Call me if you need anything else. You can also call your mother.”

“I just knew you wouldn’t totally freak out. Thank you.”

“All right. See you Monday, I guess.”

And suddenly it was just them.


 

His phone buzzed

From: Pam

Don’t forget to burp her when she’s finished eating. :) good luck


 

5 minutes later she was finished, and she gave Jim a cute little smile.

He found some plastic keys in the bag. He leaned against the arm of the couch and bent his knees and sat her on his lap with his thighs supporting her back. He dangled the keys in front of her. She reached out and grabbed them, and put them in her mouth.

She stared intently at him. And it hit him. She is his. He couldn’t give her up.

“Looks like it’s just you and me kid.”




Chapter End Notes:

Let me know what you think. Should I continue? 

If I do Jim/Pam would be endgame.  


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans