- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place during The Dark Times (aka "the writer's strike"). 

“Are you ready to go?” Jim leaned across the silver garland on Pam’s desk with a smile. He could hardly stop smiling these days. Now that they were a couple-- a real, official, boyfriend-and-girlfriend couple-- he couldn’t keep the grin off his face.


So he was a little surprised when Pam frowned at him. “I guess,” she said.


“What’s the matter?”


“Nothing. I mean...nothing.” She smiled, but it obviously took an effort. She still looked tense around her eyes.


“Are you sure? It’s Christmas, and we’re leaving early, so if there’s something wrong, I need to know how to fix it before it ruins my buzz.”


Pam rolled her eyes, but her smile looked more genuine. “No buzz killing here, I promise. Let me get the voicemail set for the holiday, and then we can get on the road.”


They rode the elevator down to the parking lot holding hands. This wasn’t unusual, exactly, but Jim noticed that she seemed to be holding on hard.


They got in Jim’s car, which they’d already packed with their luggage and the gifts they were taking for Jim’s family. As they settled in, Jim heard Pam take in a deep breath.


“OK, Beesly. Spill. What’s the matter?”


Pam laughed a little bit. “I really can’t keep anything from you, can I? Fine. I’m nervous, OK? I’m finally meeting the infamous Halpert family. What if they don’t like me? Or even if they do? I have a feeling it’s going to be...a lot.”


Jim was tempted to laugh, but he caught himself. Instead, he put his hand on Pam’s as he pulled out of the parking lot. “The Halperts can be a lot,” he acknowledged. “But they will like you. You are...so great. And even if you weren’t, you make me happy, so they’ll be happy.”


“You’re pretty great yourself,” Pam said softly.


“Yes. Yes, I am.”


“Let’s not get carried away, there, Halpert,” Pam giggled.


“You packed all the gifts?” Jim was 100% sure she had, but he wanted to change the subject.


“Yes. Fishing stuff for your brother and your dad, perfume and a framed watercolor painting for your mom, ceramic coasters for your sister, and whatever that horrible doll is for your niece.”


“I told you, I buy what I’m told.” Jim shuddered. The doll was ridiculously ugly.


“I know, I’m just saying. And poinsettias for everybody.”


The poinsettias were a Beesly family tradition, and Pam had insisted on bringing them along. She claimed it was a way to make herself feel more comfortable, but Jim thought it was very sweet that she wanted to merge some of their family traditions.


He thought most things about her were pretty sweet. “So, when do you want your Christmas gift?” he said as they merged onto the highway.


“On...Christmas?” Pam answered, but her curiosity was obvious.


“OK, but you can have it now, if you want.” Jim thought, fleetingly, about the sparkling diamond ring he’d bought months before. He’d left it at home, tempted as he’d been to give it to her already. He knew they weren’t ready, so...he’d bought nice art paper and expensive oil pastels for her instead.


Pam looked at him in amused confusion. “What, now? It’s here in the car? I mean, not in the trunk?”


Jim gave her a sideways smile. “Yes, you can have your gift right now if you want. Or, part of it, anyway.”


Pam hesitated. “What?” Jim asked. “You can wait until tomorrow morning if you want, I just thought you might like a present now.”


“Oh, OK.” Pam started to giggle. “I wasn’t sure...I mean, I’d open it now if it was something personal or private, but it can’t be too...you know, um... ‘personal’ or ‘private’ if you want me to open it while you’re driving.”


It took Jim a second to understand what she was implying. “Pam Beesly. I did not buy you lingerie for Christmas at my brother’s house. Wow.” Jim tried to sound disapproving, but he could only laugh. “Geez, no wonder you are nervous, if that’s what you think of us.”


Pam finished laughing. “I can wait until tomorrow for the presents. I guess. But seriously? Please don’t tease me about being nervous. This is...meeting your family. This is big. I really want them to like me.”


“They will, Pam. But who cares if they don’t? Isn’t having one Halpert in love with you enough?” Jim’s eyes were carefully, deliberately on the road. They’d traded “I love you”s long before, but there was still something that felt risky in repeating a phrase so loaded with history.


Pam leaned over, straining against her seat belt to reach Jim’s cheek for a gentle kiss. “That’s more than enough,” she said softly. “It’s the best present I could ever ask for.”




You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans