- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I had this idea a while ago and finally got round to writing it- enjoy! Also please excuse my attempts to use American shops and holidays I don't know what I'm talking about! Please let me know in the comments if Target does in fact sell greeting cards:)

Betsy Halpert browsed the cards section of Target, Scranton. A large assortment of birthday cards stood in front of her, but not much else. The woman next to her seemed to be having a similar amount of luck. Maybe she should have specially made a trip to Hallmark.

"Excuse me, have you seen any 'New House' cards anywhere?" Betsy asked the other woman.

"Oh, that's what I'm looking for too," she replied. "Who's it for?"

"My son, Jim. He got a promotion in Connecticut," said Betsy. "What about you?"

"It's for my daughter, Pam. Broken engagement." The woman sighed. "At least some people are moving up in the world though!"

"I'm guessing your daughter isn't moving as far as Connecticut though," remarked Betsy. "Jim won't even be able to come for Sunday lunch anymore."

The woman laughed. "True. Pam's been living in her old room these past few weeks and her new place is only 10 minutes walk away. The new apartment is a bit of a box if I'm totally honest but I guess she can't afford much better with a receptionist's salary... hopefully she won't have to stay there long."

Betsy frowned. "Sorry, did you say your daughter Pam is a receptionist?"

"Yes, she works at Dunder Mifflin in Scranton Business Park."

Betsy gasped. "Oh my god... she's the Pam."

Realisation dawned on the other woman's face. "And your Jim is the Jim. Love-bombshell-then-runs-away Jim."

Betsy cringed. "Yup, my son is an idiot."

The woman (Mrs Beesly, she supposed) rounded on Betsy. "Do you realise my daughter broke off her engagement because of Jim? And now he's run off to a different state, abandoning her without a thought!"

"Wait... Jim told me Pam said to him that she was still going to marry Roy. What changed?"

Mrs Beesly sighed. "Pam isn't a risk taker. She was never going to throw away ten years in a single moment, but I guess even she realised there was a problem when a single kiss made her happier than her whole relationship."

Betsy stared. "She told you that?"

"Not in so many words, but I can tell. It just took her a while to process her feelings. If Jim came back and did that same speech now, she wouldn't reject him.

"Then let's make him do that," said Betsy.

"I'm sorry, what are you saying?"

"If we can just get Jim and Pam in the same room, they will be able to sort out their differences. They'll realise they want to be together. Jim will transfer back from Stamford and they'll be happy."

"Well how do you propose we do this?" asked Mrs Beesly.

Betsy smirked. "I may have an idea." 

>

Betsy phoned Jim later.

"So I hope you are planning on coming to the annual Halpert 4th July Extravaganza," she said.

"No mom... I have plans here," said Jim.

"Do they involve being alone and moping around your apartment?" asked Betsy disapprovingly. Her question was met with silence. "Well anyway, I've invited all your friends who usually come, so it would be a shame if they didn't see you. Not to mention your family..."

"Fine, I'll go," said Jim. "Bye mom."

Betsy smiled. Jim: check.

>

Betsy was having coffee in Helene Beesly's kitchen. It had turned out that once their conversation had turned away from Jim and Pam, they had a lot of similar views and interests. Betsy enjoyed Helene's company, and coffee mornings had turned into a regular occurrence.

The front door sounded, and Helene excused herself to answer it. When she returned, she was not alone.

"Betsy, this is my daughter Pam," said Helene, grinning.

"Wow, it's lovely to meet you, Pam! I've heard so much about you!" Not so much from Helene as from Jim. 

"Betsy has been kind enough to invite our family to her house for the 4th July, doesn't that sound great!" said Helene, giving Betsy a wink which Pam fortunately didn't catch.

"Yes, it should be really great. There'll be plenty of fireworks, drinks and people your age, thanks to my kids. I really hope you can make it," said Betsy.

"Sounds fun," said Pam. "I'll be there."

Easier than Jim. Pam: check.

>

The party was in full swing by the time the Beeslys arrived. The side gate was open as guests spilled onto the lawn, headed for the tables full of Betsy's famous baking. As Betsy approached, the younger daughter and Helene's husband peeled off to mingle, but Pam stuck with her mother, looking a bit nervous, but gorgeous in a plum dress and her hair in barrel curls. Jim won't stand a chance.

"Betsy! So great to see you! What a wonderful party!" Helene exclaimed, hugging her.

Betsy smiled at them. "I would love to stop and chat, but I fear I may need to top up the dessert table."

"I could help if you want," offered Pam. Betsy and Helene could hardly contain their glee.

"Oh thank you so much, Pam, you are such a gem. Would you mind please heading inside to the kitchen? My son is making more fruit salad, and I fear the outcome from someone who probably hasn't touched a piece of fruit since he was last here six weeks ago."

Pam laughed. "I'll do my best to help him." She headed towards the house with Betsy and Helene following behind. As soon as she stepped inside, Betsy pulled out a key and locked the door.

"In case Jim tries to run away again," she explained.

As they peered through the window, they could see Pam's expression change as she realised who was in the room with her. She ran over and hugged him, before drawing back and yelling at him, with tears streaming down her face. Before long, Jim was yelling back with a similarly pained expression. Their voices were muffled through the window, but their faces said it all. Pam said something, and Jim immediately froze, staring at her.

"That's the I dumped Roy trump card," grinned Helene.

They watched as hopeful smiles appeared on Jim and Pam's faces, and then Jim leaned down and kissed Pam. The mothers watched as Pam wrapped her arms around Jim's neck and deepened the kiss. Then they simultaneously realised it was slightly weird to be watching this moment and they averted their eyes for a few moments.

Betsy let herself and Helene into the kitchen, interrupting Jim and Pam.

"Mom?" they both said, incredulously. The two women laughed.

 "Wait, Betsy is your mom?" Pam asked Jim. "How did I not realise?" She laughed, before looking back at the intruders. "Did you two plan this?"

"Yes, we did," said Betsy smudgely.

"I- Thank you," said Jim. "For helping us say what needed to be said."

Pam grinned. "But mom, don't think we aren't having words later. How did you guys meet anyway?"

Betsy laughed. "It's a long story, but right now I think you two need to 'catch up' some more." She made air quotation marks.

"Yeah, Jim, where's your room," said Pam, a smirk creeping onto her face.

Jim looked down at her, his face a mixture of disbelief and adoration.

"BEESLY!

Chapter End Notes:
please leave reviews and appreciate the trademark Halpert smudgeness I sneaked in xx


tammy28 is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked The Parents Trap also liked 1669 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans