- Text Size +
Pt. 4

Alice: So, Michael is once again Regional Manager, and his first order as boss was to reinstate Casual Fridays. I wasn’t really sure what was standard for casual day, so I stuck with a plain v-neck and a cardigan, and some jeans. I’m noticing, however, that casual  means different things to everyone else…


“Dunder Mifflin this is Alice,” I say, trying to answer phones and pay attention to the stuff I have to do around here.


Dwight walks in, looking about the same, except for his tie.


“What’re you staring at?” He mutters, catching me watching him walk to his desk.


I retreat my gaze to the calendar on my desk and pretend to be busy.


Alice (slightly blushing): I don’t know… He usually just looks like your average salesman with his dress shirt and tie, but… Without a tie he’s much more… casually handsome… (mumbles) Like a guy in a magazine modeling suits


“Careful, Alice, don’t wanna catch flies!” Michael jokes, approaching my desk, and calling attention to my mouth hanging open.


“Sorry,” I say, clearing my throat.




“We will all quit!” Dwight says, challenging Michael.


“You’re not actually going to quit are you?” I worry, watching Michael look dumbfounded at his sales team.


“No, relax. We just need Michael to give us our old clients back.” Dwight explains in a whisper.


Alice: I don’t know what I would do here without Dwight. He’s been extremely nice and friendly with me, and I’m not very close with anyone else here…


After the commotion with the sales team, I hear a lot of yelling coming from the annex. I walk in to see most of the office arguing with Toby.


“All right, I am taking over this meeting,” Dwight says, stepping in front of Toby.


“Wha- no!” Toby argues.


“Wow,” I breathe, admiring Dwight’s outfit again.


“What, Toby?” Meredith whispers, giving Toby a look.


“What? No, ew, God, no.” I laugh, and Meredith shrugs.


“Again, what are you staring at?” Dwight asks, calling attention to me.


I’m quick to turn my eyes away, pretending he’s talking to someone else. Everyone turns to look, watching me.


“Wha- I don’t…” I mumble, quickly turning around and heading back to my desk.


“Alice, Michael wants to see you,” Pam says, leaving his office with a smile.


Nervously, I get up and head into his office.


“All right, so here it is… You’re fired. We’re gonna have to let you go. Everyone else keeps complaining about you, and it’s just not working.” He states with a straight face, slightly chuckling at the end.


“Wh- what? That can’t be true… I’ve been nice to everyone here… Dwight’s been really nice to me, I thought…”


Michael lets out a cackle, wiping his eyes.


“No, it’s a joke. You’re not fired. Everyone seems to be taking to you. Well, except Angela but she doesn’t really like anybody. No worries.” He continues laughing, holding his stomach.


I force a smile and leave his office, slowly treading back to my desk.


“Hello, Alice, what’s the matter?” Dwight asks, coming up to my desk.


I sigh, looking up at him.


“I think Michael just… fake fired me?”


I search Dwight’s face for any telling evidence, reminding myself not to look down at his loose shirt collar.


“Yes, he does that occasionally. Hopefully it is fake and you’re safe to work here.” He adds with a smile.


My stomach erupts in butterflies.


“Thanks, Dwight.” I say, a smile spreading over my face.


“Don’t mention it,” he replies, tapping my desk before turning and heading back to his cluster of desks.


Dwight: Why am I being nice to her? Simple, she’s a bright, sweet girl who’s nice to look at. We’ve grown somewhat close in her first few weeks here. Why wouldn’t I be nice to her?




You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans