- Text Size +

Pt 7


Clip montage of Dwight and Alice going to and leaving from work together in Dwight’s car.


Alice: Yeah, Dwight and I have kind of been, um…


Dwight: I’ve simply provided Alice with a free place to stay while she searches for an apartment. I’d much rather her stay at Schrute Farms and help tend to the chickens than pay every night to stay in a low-quality hotel room.


Michael (whispers): Do you think they’re sleeping together? (laughs) That’s crazy! I have to tell somebody…


Pam: The office has engaged in a lot of gossip lately, which is one of the reasons Jim and I have put off telling anyone about my pregnancy…


“Excuse me, intern?” Dwight calls, summoning one of the three interns we’ve had with us the last month or so. “Could you get me and Alice beverages from the vending machine? Actually– just water for me.”


Phyllis: If Dwight and Alice are trying to hide the fact that they’re dating, they’re doing a terrible job…


“Thanks, Megan,” I say, accepting the soda she got for me. I raise the soda, pretending to clink it with Dwight’s water.


Dwight smiles at me before taking a sip and getting back to work.


Jim: Those two have been extra chummy lately… Ever since the picnic, I wonder what we missed… (glances at Pam)


Pam (to Jim): They’re obviously dating! It’s more obvious than when he started dating Angela…


Jim (to Pam): Hey, I didn’t know about that for the first, what? Year and a half?


Pam (nods): Year and a half.


“Hey, Alice! Wanna go to lunch?” Pam asks, standing readily at my desk.


“Sure!” I agree, shrugging and standing from my desk.


Pam and I go down the elevator and she offers to drive.


“I noticed you’ve been coming in and leaving with Dwight, so I thought it’d be best if I drove.” She comments with a chuckle.


“Oh, yeah, sure!”


We drive for a bit until she pulls in to an italian restaurant.


“So,” she starts, resting her elbows on the table and leaning close to me. “What’s up with you and Dwight?”


I can’t help glancing at the camera, unsure of how to respond.


“Uh…”


“Sorry, that was a bit forward. But really, you guys are like, dating, right?”


Alice: Dwight and I have put off defining what’s going on between us. I mean, he offered to let me stay in his huge farmhouse, so really we’re like roommates.


Clips play of the two acting friendlier than friends.


Alice: Yeah, we kissed at the picnic… and I stayed at his farm that night, but we didn’t, like, hook up…(sighs) I don’t know, I would like us to be a couple, but we’re not rushing anything right now. I guess we’re kind of friends with benefits? That also live together? See, this is why we haven’t defined it, it can’t be defined. Okay?


I can’t help chuckling awkwardly at her phrasing.


“Well, kind of?” Pam’s jaw drops.


“What? You have to tell him what you want. Especially since it’s Dwight. Like, did I ever tell you about beach day? I got brave and told Jim how I felt. Pretty soon after that we were dating.”


Pam grins, reliving the memories.


Dwight: I know the office suspects Alice and I are a couple, but it’s not that simple. We’re good friends who live together and have feelings for each other, but we have yet to act on those feelings. It’s simple, but also not very simple…


“Hey, Dwight?” Toby asks, approaching Dwight’s desk. “So, I’ve heard a lot around the office about you and Alice… You have to enclose that to HR, and there’s a form…”


Dwight scoffs.

“I didn’t know friendships needed disclosed to HR.” Dwight rolls his eyes, giving the camera a look.


Silence falls over the office. Jim stares at the camera, wide-eyed.


“Dwight…” Phyllis scolds.


Angela smiles at her desk.


Pam and I come back into the office, carrying leftovers.


“Thanks, Pam, that was nice.” I give her a smile and take a seat at my desk.


The camera catches Pam giving Jim a thumbs-up. The rest of the office sits awkwardly.


Alice: I think Pam is right. It’s been a few weeks since the picnic, and I think it’s time to tell Dwight how I feel and what I want.


Kelly: I feel so bad for Alice. I can’t imagine liking someone and thinking you’re dating, but turns out the guy sees it as something else…


Phyllis (shrugs): She could do a lot better than Dwight, she’s very pretty.


Andy (slowly grinning): Well, I guess things didn’t work out for her and the Schrute-ster. Time for the ole boner champ to swoop in and mend her beautiful, broken heart.


Angela(subtly smug): I guess there was nothing to worry about


“Alright everybody, we should give these two some space to talk things out and define their relationship. Everybody, conference room, now.” Michael announces, gesturing for the entire office to join him in the conference room.


He refuses to let me and Dwight in.


“Not you two, talk it out, bitches.” He closes the door in our faces.


I look at Dwight, confused, and shrug.


“What’s that about?” I ask, resting against the corner between Dwight and Jim’s desks.


“Oh, gosh, I don’t know…” Dwight tries, sitting in his chair and spinning from side to side, avoiding eye contact with me.


“C’mon, Dwight. You know I can tell when you’re lying. For such a smart guy you’re a terrible liar.”


“Okay,” he caves with a sigh. “So, the whole office thinks you and I are dating. I simply told them we’re just friends.”


I nod, avoiding his eyes.


“Right,” I choke out, continuously nodding.


A few tears fall right off my cheekbones, onto the floor.


“Hey,” Dwight says, grabbing my arms and lifting my head to meet his eyes. “Please don’t cry…” He pulls me into his chest and comforts me.


Somehow, being in Dwight’s arms makes me feel worse.


“Dwight?” I say, muffled against his shirt.


“Yes?”


I pull away from him slightly and wipe my face.


“I want to be more than friends…”


He stays silent, his mouth slightly hung open.


“Can I get something from my desk?” Stanley asks Michael as the entire office stands in the conference room.


“No, Stanley, they haven’t kissed yet, so–”


“Wouldn’t it have been more efficient if we asked them to come in here and we all stayed at our desks?” Phyllis asks, challenging Michael.


“Whatever, Phyllis. Y’know– God!”


“Michael, maybe we shouldn’t try to force them together?” Jim tries.


“Okay…” I say, leaving Dwight at his desk and sitting back in my chair, typing away on my computer to act busy.


The door to the conference room creaks oped and Michael pokes his head out. Dwight turns to look at Michael, still saying nothing. Michael gestures for everyone to leave the conference room and get back to work.


“Real smooth, Dwight.” Jim comments, patting Dwight on the shoulder.


“Can it, Jim.” Dwight snaps, finally saying something.


Pam comes up to my desk and pretends to look through the candy dish.


“So, what’d he say?” She whispers.


“Nothing.”


“Really? Nothing?”


I nod, not looking away from my computer. She stomps over to Dwight’s desk and stands expectantly, her arms folded across her chest.


“Dwight, can I speak with you in the break room?”


Dwight glances up at her, nervous. He nods without saying anything and follows her into the break room.


“What’s the matter with you, Dwight? This sweet, beautiful girl is into you and you shut her down? What the hell, Dwight?” Pam yells, sternly.


Dwight sighs.


“I… I know, Pam. I just– I froze. I didn’t know what to say, or what to do. The last woman I loved broke my heart in every way possible. I know it’s stupid, but I’m afraid to love again…”


“Oh… Well, Dwight, just tell her how you feel. I’m sure she’ll understand. Give it a shot.” Pam suggests, patting Dwight’s shoulder and walking out of the break room and back to her desk.


Pam: I… did not expect that from Dwight. Usually his feelings are very transparent, and very minimal…


“Michael, Alice and I are leaving early. I have to check on the horses.” Dwight announces gathering his things and leaving the office.


I quickly grab my coat and follow him out to the elevator.


“They’re gonna bang it out…” Michael mumbles, cackling at the end, and retreating to his office.


“Dwight!” I call, struggling to catch up to him in the parking lot. “Dwight!”


He stops, turns around, and waits for me to reach him.


“Dwi–”


He reaches down and grabs me by the waist, capturing my lips in his, holding me close. My hands float up to his neck and meet at the base of it. We continue to kiss, Dwight lifting me up and placing me on the hood of his car.


“I want that, too, Alice.”




You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans