- Text Size +

Pt 8


The camera catches Alice collecting eggs from one of the chicken coops on Schrute Farms.


Alice: Yeah, I’ve been staying with Dwight, and he trusts me to tend to the hens in the morning before work. It’s actually a lot of fun caring for animals… Living out here on a secluded, wide-open space is so nice, too… Me and Dwight? Uh, yeah… (smiling) We’ve declared our feelings for one another… I still stay in my own room… (mumbles) most nights…


Dwight: It gets terribly hot in the summers. Sharing a bed would just be harmful to our health. Though, love-making is one way to stay physically active. (grins)


Alice (background): Dwight!


Dwight turns his attention to Alice, laughing.


“Dunder Mifflin, this is Alice,” I recite, answering the phone. Dwight looks over at me, offering a smile.


Pam: I think things are working out well between them. I’m so happy for them!


Jim (nods): Yeah, it’s nice to see Dwight happy again.


“Wow, Alice, you look especially tan today.” Michael observes, approaching my desk. “Really hot,” he adds making himself laugh.


The camera catches Dwight shooting daggers at Michael.


“Yeah, well, I’ve been getting a lot of sun recently, so.” I reply, brushing off Michael’s inappropriate comment, and focussing on my computer screen.


During a quick break, I head to the vending machine. I notice Dwight get up and follow me.


“I don’t like him saying things like that to you.”


I sigh, assessing my snack options as Dwight leans against a neighboring vending machine.


“Yeah, I don’t enjoy it either.” I agree.


“Maybe you should show less skin at the office.” Dwight suggests, immediately capturing all of my attention.


I raise an eyebrow at him.

“Dwight, Michael is going to make inappropriate comments towards me no matter how I dress at the office. It’s a staple of his personality.”


“Not true, when Pam wore glasses, he totally ignored her. As long as you make an effort to look less attractive he won’t say anything neither of us wants to hear.”


I exhale through my nose, turning all of my attention to Dwight.


“I know you mean well, but I’d rather you not leave it up to me to stop Michael’s obnoxious sexualization of the women in this office.”


I decide on a snack and punch in the code, waiting for the thud as it drops form the display.


“You’re right, I’m sorry. I just don’t like him thinking about you that way and saying those things.” Dwight admits, pulling me into an embrace and kissing my forehead.


I feel butterflies erupt in my stomach.


“Okay,” I say, putting my hair up and grabbing my snack. “I’ll find a cardigan.” I promise, kissing his cheek and leaving the break room.


Alice: I wouldn’t call it a fight. Dwight and I just see some things differently. Like, I know he idolizes Michael, whether he should or not. And, I’m sure he would know better than I would: if I dress differently at work Michael might leave me alone. Honestly, it’s worth a shot if It stops Michael’s openly lude and demeaning comments. (shrugs)


“I have some cardigans you can borrow, if you want.” Pam offers, coming up to my desk. “They might not fit me now that I’m pregnant, so…” She chuckles at the end, but I stop, staring at her with my mouth open.


“You’re pregnant?” I whisper.


Her face changes with realization.


“... Yeah! But don’t tell anyone, okay? Jim and I are waiting to tell everybody.”


I nod, smiling brightly.


“Of course!”


“I can bring those cardigans in tomorrow,” she offers, circling back.


“That’d be great. Thanks!

Alice: I think Pam and I are really starting to become good friends. It’s nice, having another girl to talk to in the office.


Pam: The cat’s out of the bag. I let it slip to Alice that I’m pregnant, but I don’t think she’ll go around telling anyone– not even Dwight.

 

A few days after Jim and Pam decide to tell everyone about their baby, Michael gathers everyone together in the office.


“Alright, everybody! I have an announcement to make. Jimbo will be working with me as co-manager of this branch. He will handle all of the day-to-day issues you may have, while I will handle all of the ultra-important bid-picture stuff!” Michael says, smiling big.


Jim stands bashfully, smiling at the rest of us. I catch Dwight stare off with a vacant look. Everyone goes back to work and Dwight stands abruptly, taking quick strides to the conference room. He shuts the door and moments later the entire office can hear him scream.


“Oh, no…” I whisper to myself, hurrying to the conference room.


I open the door without knocking. Dwight spins around quickly and relaxes slightly when he sees me. I shut the door to the conference room and sit next to him.


“That should be me!” He yells, head in his hands. “I’ve cared for this company and this branch specifically for years! And I’ve been top salesman multiple consecutive years…”


“Hey,” I try, taking his hands in mine. “I’m sure there was a lot more behind the scenes that went into giving Jim the job. I’m sure Michael knows how valuable you are to this company, he has to know.”


Dwight nods, not saying anything.


“Maybe he suggested it to David because Jim and Pam are about to be married, and have a baby on the way. Milestones like that cost a lot of money, and from what I’ve heard, Pam isn’t the best salesperson since she’s so new to it.”


Dwight scoffs, “yeah.”


A look crosses his face.


“Let’s have a baby!” He whispers, kissing my cheek.


“Wh- Dwight!”


My face heats up profusely, and I sit dumbfounded, not knowing what to say.


“Come on! It was bound to happen anyways right? And we already live together…”


“We- I… Um…” I stutter, standing abruptly and leaving the conference room.


Some heads turn as I grab my things and leave the office. Jim, Pam, Phyllis, and Andy are in the elevator when I get on.


“Hey, Alice! Where’s Dwight?” Pam asks.


“What, nothing, I don’t know.” I spew, still reeling from Dwight’s words.


It starts getting harder to breathe, my chest heaving.


“Woah, hey, are you okay?” Jim asks.


“Everyone give her space!” Andy demands, pushing everyone farther away from me.


By the time the elevator stops in the lobby, I’m still struggling to breathe. Pam and Jim each take one of my hands and lead me outside to the bench by the door.


“Here, maybe you just need some air.” Jim says, helping me sit.


“What happened?” Pam tries, sitting down next to me.


“I... don’t know…” I try taking deep breaths to calm down. “He was upset… and I went in to talk to him…”


Dwight walks out of the building, looking confused.


“Dwight, what did you do to Alice?” Jim asks sternly, clearly concerned.


“Dwight, did you…?” Pam asks, skeptical.


“No!”


“No…” Dwight and I say in unison.


“Maybe we should let them talk it out.” Jim suggests, gesturing for the others to walk away and head to their cars.


I nod and wave goodbye to Jim and Pam. Dwight takes a seat next to me on the bench and grabs my hands the way I had earlier.


“I’m sorry to have upset you,” he says, trying to get me to look at him.


“I do want kids one day, Dwight. But not within the first year I’m on my own, and not before we get married, and not before we’ve even said ‘I love you’, or… or been together for at least a year.”


I keep my gaze locked on a patch of grass swaying with the breeze.


“I understand, those are all very reasonable conditions. I’m just upset about Jim being promoted. I’m sorry,” He admits.


I place my hands under his jaw and pull him into a kiss.


“If you propose to me because Jim upsets you, I will say no, and tell everyone.” I warn, making a joke.


He grins at me and takes my hand, leading me to his car.


“I will expect nothing less,” he agees.


Before breaking off to go to the passenger’s side of the car, I reach up and pull him into another kiss. His hands rest at my waist.


“Let’s go home,” I whisper, kissing him again before walking over to my side and getting into the car.


Home. I’ve never called his farm that before, but it is starting to feel like home.


 



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans